Ethical Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hutch3912

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
If your harvesting a very precise management plan cutting only trees that have been specifically marked and so on, and you get done and you call the trucker and he comes and picks up. What is the limit where you don't have enough for a full truck, but you have to much to just leave, especially if its logs not pulp?
Would it depend on the individual trucker?
Just curious since I do a lot of small lots and research areas that are very specific so I can't go back out if I know I'm short and cut more.

A couple things come to mind. Why not paint the butts and have them hauled to your next job? Or, paint the butts and the truck can go to another site for a half load from somebody else?

I've cut for a guy who breached the unethical. After swamping out his haul road intead of getting the rock that was obviously going to be necessary, he left probably 6 mbf and 20 tons pulp on the landing, not to mention to approx. 10 mbf and 20 tons pulp already felled in the woods. All left, and as far as i know he never returned. And I was payed by the truck load at the time. So me and the landowner got screwed. Didn't cut for him much longer.

Good question, I know what you mean though, a coule saw logs, a little pulp, what to do.

Its raining sleet.

And its a b!tch to pay someone to come pick up those last few logs or little bit of pulp when neither of you are going to make any money on it, if you break even. But on the flip side seems wasteful to me to just leave emm on the landing to rot, should have left emm to grow.

And its a b!tch to pay someone to come pick up those last few logs or little bit of pulp when neither of you are going to make any money on it, if you break even. But on the flip side seems wasteful to me to just leave emm on the landing to rot, should have left emm to grow.

Sell the leftovers for firewood... Advertise it as 'cut-and haul', or you can get it into cordwood, and sell it that way.

My 2¢

Thats what I do with all my hardwood that isn't logs or doesn't have high Btu(aspen, some red maple, gray and white birch all go to pulp), but no one's going to waste there time with white pine, fir, spruce or aspen firewood up here with as much wood as there is around.

Thats what I do with all my hardwood that isn't logs or doesn't have high Btu(aspen, some red maple, gray and white birch all go to pulp), but no one's going to waste there time with white pine, fir, spruce or aspen firewood up here with as much wood as there is around.

Really!?. Thats all we burn here. LOL

Really!?. Thats all we burn here. LOL

I'm so sorry, guess us east coast and central guys are spoiled. :)
Up here its not worth anyones time, even if its free. Plus you then get the added liability of having unprofessional chainsaw operators on your lot. Just what I need to have one of them cut there leg off on my wood pile.

I'm so sorry, guess us east coast and central guys are spoiled. :)
Up here its not worth anyones time, even if its free. Plus you then get the added liability of having unprofessional chainsaw operators on your lot. Just what I need to have one of them cut there leg off on my wood pile.

You gotta burn what grows--where you are... That's why the Irish burned Peat Moss eh?

Don't feel bad for me... If I haven't ever burned hardwood, I don't know what I'm missing. LOL

Tamarack, fir, spruce, hemlock, and pine keep us warm all winter. :cheers:

if i put the work in cutting it you better believe im gunna get paid for it. i leave a very clean landing. even going so far to pick up things for firewood most people wont. (softwood goes great in a maple syrup boiler!)

i usually have the trucker bring it to the next place im working all in one load, then combine it with what im cutting for a full load. its a bit of a pain for the trucker to scale in twice at the mill, but its the only fair way for the landowner to get paid. same thing for logs, two trip tickets, two scale slips.

its not like the trucker has to drive to the mill with three cords on, just has to weigh out an extra time while hes there.

i know one guy who moves the left over logs himself with a one ton. loads them with his tractor forks. also takes them to local log yard rather than directly to the mill. the moneys not as good, but its easier than a hour drive to the mill.

David Bradley

Whats the david bradley thing in your signature from 371?
Metal I guess if you don't know any better it doesn't really matter, and softwood is great for syrup.

call up the forester and see if he can come back and mark out some more trees. Some times they leave a few trees unmarked that should be for a later cut. If he comes back he might find a few more that can go to get you set, if not i guess you either leave what you have, or pay for it to be trucked and either make very little money or be able to pay for the trucking atleast. if your going to lose money by letting the logs go, then leave them on the landing and move on. sometimes its just not worth it and you have to just keep going. usually though you can go back and find a few trees that you have scarred up or broken off tops falling some of the others that you could justify as coming down too. mabey some of the ones that you used as bumper trees while twitching. if not then move on.

I dont really understand why you would have the logs hauled to another landing and dropped off for later, mine as well just take em to the mill if they are going on the truck.

depends how far apart the next job is, but once there is product on the next job the trucker goes to the first job to fetch the left over and tops off on the new job.
seems sooner or later it just ends up not being worth it somewhere along the line and stuff gets left laying to rot. kinda a bummer.
firewood guys on the landing is not a good idea! too much liability.
when contracted by a mill, the truck drivers (here) get compensated for the last load of a job, cause they are usually short, and the crew that cut and skid gets their scale.
boils down to fuel and time.
if it happens alot I suggest getting a trailer.

I know other loggers who have their own log truck and they will buy wood from you. They won't pay as much as you get at the mill but at least you will get something and it won't be left on the landing. It also depends on what it is.

Craig

like i said but mabey not so clear: i have the trucker bring everything thats left in one load. if he is coming down to haul a load of pulp. he puts the pulp on the bottom, then the logs on top. drives to my new lot, unloads the logs in a seperate pile, then we put somthing in the load to differentiate between the two landowners a chain or even a ribbon just somthing so he knows when to stop unloading and get reweighed.

he ususally only tacks on about $50 bucks for bringing the leftovers, but i work within a pretty close radius of home.

a david bradley is an old chainsaw sold at sears. its old like all pot metal. a buddy of mine bought it at an antiques store thinking it was really valuable, or somthing he could build into a race saw. he was mistaken on both counts. so when he moved he gave it to me cause he didnt have space for it. its all in peices cause he wanted to make it run, thats the 'in a box' part. but its all there, somday i might get it spread out on the bench. the guys in the chainsaws folder can definately get you more info on David Bradleys.

Usually the smallest amount I can get hauled is a tier.

For cleaning up the yard I have a tilt trailer that I pull with my pickup. A trucker will usually load big stuff for me if the wood is bunched. The short wood I load by hand. I take the trailer to a collection yard if I need a slip for the landowner. Otherwise I take it to the next yard or to home.

Latest posts

Back