Eucalyptus hard to cut when it dries

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arlen

Me and my wife at Wild Amimal Park San Diego
Reaction score
I read the post when to cut and split, and i thought what is he taling about?:msp_confused: Than yesterday I decided to finally cut up a couple of large Eucalyptus rounds 36" to 48" in diameter they had been sitting for three or 4 years. The last round was 4 feet in diameter and I dulled two chains on it. I used my Makita 6401 [big bore kit to 79 cc's] with a new chain and the log was smoking and it only produced sawdust:(. Finally able to cut it into 4 pieces. Had I cut it when it was green the chips would have flown. Also when I split the rounds they may be so hard that they will pop apart with a lot of force and fly off the splitter. David

I have only ever cut jarrah (Eucalyptus Marginata) and red gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) so I know no different. I do have to sharpen my chain at least once some times twice for ever tank of gas.
Jarrahs the best, you get a log that has been sitting for a few years and as the rings hit the ground they split them self, but because of that brittleness it eats chains.

Eucalyptus timber

Yup :msp_sneaky: welcome to our world down. Under old dry hard gum can be a PITA. Some species mock at ya attempts to split em. But when its done they can give off great heat or excellent structural timbers.

I was reading a long paper on Eucalyptus in California. In the 1800 when it was introduced. At first there were mills to make timber and lumber for the wood with mixed results. Sometimes it warped. In Australia it seems to be a good product. In California it is firewood. It is among the best woods for firewood in my opinion, as good and sometimes better than oak. David

How do!And a G'day to you aussie rough heads...:laugh:Blue gum(E.globulus)We call these beasts, the scourge from hell..But hey it's good firewood,and we got plenty of it here in nor cal.Takes a bit longer to season though.Same heat value as coast live oak.Fried My 372xp quarter sawing some half seasoned euc rounds...Never again!Now if we had some of that sydney blue gum(E saligna)Be a horse of a different color!

Latest posts

Back