Eucalyptus help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoshinjoe

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im very mew to the site and the arboricultural world. Im 4 weeks into a traineeship and absolutely loving it.

I’m curious to see if anyone here can help me diagnose this tree problem.

D04C2BE4-36CA-46FE-A6D3-F0FC91D70E80.jpeg

So you can see all the dead tips at the top. I was thinking that may be birds. But them i climbed it and had a good look around the base today. There are co-dominant limbs at a height of around 1.5m and it look hollow in there.

Then around the base i took the following photos.
AA4D860D-FD8A-4563-87EE-E5681D349C0B.jpeg
3310CFB3-9FE1-455D-AF19-96C2B34DFF67.jpeg
A59F7674-0992-4C37-862C-9C3DC678BB52.jpeg
Above the wood is very soft.
A7A27DD7-2624-4CB1-8F8F-51398755FC80.jpeg
This is a deep hole about 15cm (6 inches roughly)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't have experience with Eucs.
However when a tree has crown decline and dieback a few things should be looked at. Vascular system and root zone. Is something restricting sap flow, has something happened to the roots ability to nourish the tree. Always start with the most likely diagnosis. In your case it would be drought injury.

I don't have experience with Eucs.
However when a tree has crown decline and dieback a few things should be looked at. Vascular system and root zone. Is something restricting sap flow, has something happened to the roots ability to nourish the tree. Always start with the most likely diagnosis. In your case it would be drought injury.
Thanks raintree. Definitely could be drought damage, the tree has declined over the last 2 and a half years that we’ve had the property and prior to that was 10 years of drought.

I live in Southern California where we have plenty of Euc but have also been to many countries with Euc. In most cases Euc is very tolerant of draught conditions. What appears that is obvious is that there is some landscaping near which introduces man made water sources. Often this unnatural water suffocates the tree not allowing it to seasonally cycle. When there is rot that often would indicate the tree is giving up. With out being there to inspect that is what appears. Thanks

I live in Southern California where we have plenty of Euc but have also been to many countries with Euc. In most cases Euc is very tolerant of draught conditions. What appears that is obvious is that there is some landscaping near which introduces man made water sources. Often this unnatural water suffocates the tree not allowing it to seasonally cycle. When there is rot that often would indicate the tree is giving up. With out being there to inspect that is what appears. Thanks
Thanks Ted,

The little garden in front of the tree and the driveway going down near it were done 30 years ago. We dont water the garden there, maybe the previous owner did

Latest posts

Back