Eucalyptus identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusieJ8662

Reaction score
Hi all, I am trying to identify a Eucalypt growing in my backyard in Victoria, Australia. It is at a height where it would just hit our house if it fell so I'm trying to understand whether it is fast growing and at risk of falling to assess whether it should be cut down. Thanks!PXL_20231211_220749476.jpgPXL_20231211_221349807.jpgPXL_20231211_221345153.jpgPXL_20231211_221334295.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231211_220749476.jpg
    PXL_20231211_220749476.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231211_221349807.jpg
    PXL_20231211_221349807.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231211_221345153.jpg
    PXL_20231211_221345153.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231211_221334295.jpg
    PXL_20231211_221334295.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Yup Ironbark. I've only ever cut one here in US. Good strong trees IIRC. Beautiful wood, pink.

@rogue60

As far as cuttin' it down....I wouldn't and I like cuttin' trees down. Looks like it's leaning across the yard, not towards the house...? So unless the wind drove it into the house...

Thanks all. The tree is standing pretty straight but the ground is sloping towards the house (the photos are taken from next to the house, that's just a cubby in in the photo). I'm wondering if the tree is more likely to fall towards the house given the slope of the land or if it's more dependent on wind direction?

Also is it possible to partly chop the tree, or would this kill it, e.g. remove the top half of the tree so if it fell it wouldn't fall on the house? I'm guessing this wouldn't be a recommended option if we do need to cut it - it should be all or nothing?

Fall direction would be mostly dictated by the tree's lean/limb weight and wind...ground not so much. Looks to me like towards that spiky tree.

I don't know how well it would tolerate a topping/hard prune. Need one of the Aussie Arbs to answer that one.

Thanks all. The tree is standing pretty straight but the ground is sloping towards the house (the photos are taken from next to the house, that's just a cubby in in the photo). I'm wondering if the tree is more likely to fall towards the house given the slope of the land or if it's more dependent on wind direction?

Also is it possible to partly chop the tree, or would this kill it, e.g. remove the top half of the tree so if it fell it wouldn't fall on the house? I'm guessing this wouldn't be a recommended option if we do need to cut it - it should be all or nothing?
Derwoodii is a pretty experienced arb guy, and have given you some good advice.
its always difficult to give advice in these situations as its always better to see the tree in person, tho you did provide good pictures and descriptions.

My experience with euc when its been pruned down to reduce its size, or overhang over neighbors sheds/ fence etc, is that the tree regrows, often lots of smaller bushy growth that once it gets larger, falls off and damages whats beneath it. So taking away an overhanging limb is a good short term solution, if taken all the way back to the stem of the tree, not just cutting it half way, which tends to grow back as mentioned.
If your only reducing its size, and therefore reach, the same will happen, lots of growth from the top, which will be weaker and prone to falling any which way and damaging fence/ neighbors sheds etc.

As also mentioned, as the tree gets bigger, the root flare will affect the fence as well, so things to consider, even if its been pruned down to a size your comfortable with.

Hope that helps in your decision of how to go forward.

That is all very helpful, thanks very much. I will get in touch with a local arborist, whether it's a full or part chop it definitely needs some attention! 😊

E. siderloxylon are a medium size euc, generally not prone to sudden limb drop or uprooting like some of the larger, higher rainfall origin eucs.

One thing have found, is they can be prone to structural weakness such as inclusions. They are a lovely medium feature tree, attract a lot of wildlife. I would do some very light pruning & forming to retain the tree, nothing to drastic, which as mentioned will create future problems. Does looked like there is plenty for a skilled arborist to work with on that tree. In your rainfall zone, height will likely plateau around 15-18m.

Am based 4000km away, so travel time might be a bit much….

Latest posts

Back