Ever buy something cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
And it turns out they are better than what you forgot at home. Last week going to gather firewood realised I had forgotten my good carhartt gloves , so I pull into Walmart to get some cheap ones, I bought the wells Lamont insulated gripper gloves. I haven't picked up the carhartt since. Hands stay warm grip is much better on cold frozen wood and never get wet . And the best part is they were under 7 dollars gloves. I haven't picked up the carhartt since.
20191220_142358.jpg

Attachments

• 20191220_142352.jpg
    20191220_142352.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
I use the Wells-Lamont gloves as well, but a different kind from that - all fabric. I buy them by the case from a distributor. But they made a change to the first finger so you can (supposedly) use your phone with them. It doesn't work well, and it's the first thing to wear out on those gloves. Still, they are very cheap, but Menards has a good pair for a good price as well. I might switch to them when my case runs out in a couple years.

And it turns out they are better than what you forgot at home. Last week going to gather firewood realised I had forgotten my good carhartt gloves , so I pull into Walmart to get some cheap ones, I bought the wells Lamont insulated gripper gloves. I haven't picked up the carhartt since. Hands stay warm grip is much better on cold frozen wood and never get wet . And the best part is they were under 7 dollars gloves. I haven't picked up the carhartt since.
View attachment 781626

If you like those, check out the Chilly Grips. They're my favorite of the dipped type gloves. $5/pair if you buy a dozen. They make good gifts too.

https://www.palmflex.com/chilly-grip-a315-acrylic-full-fingered-work-general-purpose-gloves.html

I only wear gloves when I'm working with something hot or in cold weather. Mainly because they don't fit well and wear out too fast. The first part that wears out are the finger tips. I bought a cheap pair of West Chester all purpose latex grip gloves at TS for 4 bucks and they work great. They fit well and have a good grip and are lasting longer then I would have thought. I bought several pair last week so I can put one pair in my truck and I'll gift the others at Christmas. I'm still using the first pair I bought several months ago and there holding up great.
The only gripe I have with them is they grip so well that they tend to want to slide off my hands. But a simple rubber band around the wrist holds them on just fine.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ex-coated-palm-fingertips-gloves?cm_vc=-10005

View attachment 781626

I got a pair of those couple weeks ago, pretty sweet. I like the rubber they use, it allows you to keep most your dexterity, doesn't feel as stiff in the cold as other high grip gloves.
I've been using the non-winter version for months now (get frome Home Depot, ~5$ for 3 pack) while we grade sweet potatoes, best general purpose gloves I've found yet.

I get the cheap ones from TS in the spring. They start marking them down around March. Last year I got two 10 packs for $5.99 each, then about a month later I bought 4- 10 packs for $2.99 each. Very disposable, they just dry the shite out of my hands if I'm not careful.

Coated gloves in my experience still outlast leather by many margins. I can roach any leather glove you give me in less than a day splitting and loading wood. The coated ones last for several days and some last for a very long time. The leather ones do have better sliver protection than the coated gloves especially when you start to wear out the thumb to index finger area of the coated glove.

Lot of Carhart stuff is over rated. I weat a carharrt coat only because the mule skinner coat I bought and like better had a crappy zipper and it cost about as much for a replacement zipper to be installed as a new carharrt.

:D Al

Agree, Carhartt is mostly overpriced mediocre quality. While getting a gift for my grandfather years back, I did get a nice medium-weight jacket (RN# 14806) of theirs from Tractor Supply that was on sale 60% off. It pretty much lives in the truck in case of emergency as it gets too hot to work in.

Back