Ever called upon to rescue a cat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Neighbors called today all upset that their cat was up in a tree. I attempted to convince them that it will come down on its own but they were not dissuaded and asked me to come get it down. My son and I loaded up a trailer with a 40' ladder on it and fetched the cat. They offered to pay but we said, "nah, it's a neighbor thing". I told my wife beforehand that I would refuse payment on the basis that cats have no value. She strongly suggested I not say that. Anyway, they are previous customers so maybe it'll have a future benefit. Didn't take that long, less than half an hour total.

I actually had a neighbor ask me to help get her parrot outta a tree when I was younger and we shot it with a potato gun ....Welll we shot at it we hit the tree a few times and had a couple just go off into the blue sky God only knows where they landed , but the bird did fly outta the tree and landed on the ground his wings were clipped and she got him back unharmed

I've rescued one once. No problems whatsoever. The cat was stuck up there for 3 days before the owner got a hold of me and asked me to get it out. Here's a pic of the cat in the bag.

img0014sw.jpg

I got back to the shop one friday this winter, and my boss told me he'd been getting calls for three days about this cat in a 60' pecan, if I wanted it , grab some gear and go for it. get there, 30 min before dark, get a line set right by the cat, climb up, say "hey kitty, have you down in a sec", and then start rigging for descent. Get rigged, look up, the ##### cat is gone. 45 min later, I finally get him trapped out on a limb, bribe him with a ziploc of cat food, and roll him up in a tarp. By this time, I'm climbing by the light of three cars headlights. I look back, and my rope is so threaded through this canopy I know I've got to re-rig. Stuff him down my shirt, get re-rigged and zip on down. He wasn't very grateful.

had a call a couple weeks ago for a cat rescue... by the time I explained the 100.00 fee just to climb up and "attempt" the rescue, and the need for a signed release of liability for any injuries to the cat, knowing the cat may scare to a higher spot, attack climber, or even jump from the tree out of fear of a climber up there with it... they decided to wait it out.
I am thankful not to do it. I like to help, but there is too much room for errors.
The trees are more predictable than the cat :)

Latest posts

Back