Everybody has a first time.......... here's mine.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just had to mill something up before the snows hit and I went away on vacation (retired people need days off too). This is my set up.......Granberg Alaskan III 30" mill with a Mac 7-10 saw sporting a 28" bar and milling chain. A boat winch with 40' of line is added and the saw table has a 6" slant to give gravity a little help. Logs are rolled up onto the table with a come-a-long and an additional cable making it a one man operation. First log was a 9' x 14" pine log from my woods. I've left many straight pine trees stand in anticipation of this day. Now they will start coming down for the many projects that are piling up on the farm. This log was milled on March 30, on March 31 it was all buried in snow.20170330_124733.jpg

20170330_124711.jpg 20170330_121459.jpg

The log table breaks down into 4 pieces for easy moving to other places as needed, like to my neighbor across the road. He saw the the slabs and thinks that he has some trees that need to be milled. Maybe a short vacation is all I'll be able to get. Now if only the nicer weather would get here. My wife also has plenty of projects for me and the mill.

@djones I was lucky enough to mill up two slabs. I live in the city so its a tough balance between running the saw and patiently waiting. With temps in the 50's more neighborhood kids are out, along with mine. (they sold painted rocks.... and made $15!)

I went milling again yesterday since it would be the only dry day this week. I cut another small log into 1" planks just to see how well it would handle them. The log was maybe 12" dia. by 10' long. I got 3 boards out of a tank of fuel and got 5 boards and 2 slabs when all was said and done. Note to self....... measuring marks on slide are not the actual thickness that you end up with, it's only an indicator, check measurements with tape. My 1" planks look a little thick. More fun to be had with the next log, after vacation. Pictures with the next batch. Promise.

Back