Everyone - Jan/3 - Jan/4 Weekend report .....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iCreek

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok, what is everyone doing this weekend, the first weekend of January.

We had abnormal temps, 70s today Saturday, expecting high of 32 Sunday, low 17 Sunday night. I spent the day cleaning the small wood lot area around my stove. Stacked and re-stacked some wood into piles, covered one as they are calling for some rain next week. I also got my little Homelite out and cut up some old barn wood and split it into narrow pieces so they don't block the air flow of my grates.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be setting a small metal pole so I can have a light next to the stove, picked up an outdoor box, light switch, and flood light base today at Lowes. In the below pic you can see two pallets of pavers, got those (200 sq ft.) on CL a few weeks ago for $100. Going to lay those this spring in front and along the sides of my small concrete pad.... Kind of a Wood Stove patio so I'm not standing in the mud all the time.

What are others doing this weekend??

attachment.php

I spent today cutting,dragging standing dead and fallen dead to the wood shed.
My back hurts.
It was a perfect day though,not to cold,not much snow and my Golf Cart pulled them logs like a champ!

I get to buck and stack in the morning :givebeer:

Beautiful day in Mid Michigan

In the high teens this morning, very little wind, sun shining. We don't have a lot of snow right now only a couple inches, so I grabbed my saws and headed to the woods. Wife and kids joined me a little later and we cut and hauled about 2 1/2 - 3 cords of firewood. Wind picked up a little in the afternoon, but it wasn't bad in the woods. The neighbor must have thought the same thing, I could here a saw in the next woodlot over when I was refueling. It got up to 32 by the afternoon.

Great day though, I love being out there. I didn't come in for lunch, my wife brought me out a sandwich. Kids were building brush piles for future rabbit hunting hot spots.

We're supposed to get some freezing rain late tonight or early tomorrow morning, thats okay though I have a couple honey do projects to finish after church anyway.

Heres to a beautiful day :cheers:

Last edited:
Ok, what is everyone doing this weekend, the first weekend of January.

We had abnormal temps, 70s today Saturday, expecting high of 32 Sunday, low 17 Sunday night. I spent the day cleaning the small wood lot area around my stove.

attachment.php

Ha! That outfit you have sitting out in the middle of a field looks a lot like the outfit I have in my cellar. I am not real crazy about going up and down stairs to feed the fire but I would really hate snowshoeing out into the back 40 to do it.

Didn't do much wood stuff this weekend. I hung some drywall in my master bedroom and built a little wall thingie in the closer I am re doing, thats about it.

No snow icreek? You are lucky! I stacked a half cord today that I'd split last year - 4 days ago...... Sawed 2 spruce & one white pine log on the bandmill.

Nope, it was 70 today in Mid Missouri, I was splitting and riding the 4wheeler in a short sleeved shirt starting around 10:00am. We have had one snow, 2" and some ice in one storm lasted about a week, and then one dusting that lasted about 8 hours and was gone, all that was left was mud :)

I quess we will take it and it appears that is going to be a mild winter, at least that is what an old farmer told me the other day. I have burned little to none of my large wood pile, 12 cord or so, for this year, hope it keeps OK. :(

ps Mike Van, nice new Avatar !!!!

Last edited:
Well I am one those who is glad when Jan 1 gets here because it means "back to normal". Weather here has been nice for the time of year. Son's and I cut and split a huge load of wood on Friday, I think we are cutting 2011 wood now, LOL. Other than that I have a fun project in the shop for repair and restoration, a cute little Hercules 4 cyl IXB power unit, about 20HP and 1955 vintage. Not sure what we are going to do with it, thought about a stand by genny or powering our splitter with it.

Michigans thumb

Spent today delivering wood that we cut the last two days. Wood is selling like it is on fire! People calling to buy our red trailer holds 8 face and are p!$$ed when i tell them it sold within 2 hours of it hitting the driveway. Other than that watched my nephew get his butt kicked by University of Connecticut on ESPN today. And will be installing laminate flooring for the in laws tomorrow. Then off to driving school bus Monday, and Tuesday, and touring the local college to look into becoming an LPN or RN.

Ha! That outfit you have sitting out in the middle of a field looks a lot like the outfit I have in my cellar. I am not real crazy about going up and down stairs to feed the fire but I would really hate snowshoeing out into the back 40 to do it.

That previous picture does look like the stove is out there by itself, ha ha. As you can see in the below pic it is about 65' from the house, and not a bad walk to load and stir in the mornings and evenings. Would have to agree if I lived up North, I would have to have a wood shed or those trips would be not as much fun. As one guy mentioned on here the other day, he could not stack his wood next to the stove, cause once it snows in November he does not see the ground again until March.

snow_stove_480.jpg

Took tractor out to drag some blow-downs up out of the woods. On first trip I got the :censored: rear tire against something and broke the :censored: valve stem off! Now I'm going to have to take the :censored: wheel off and take to town for a new :censored: inner tube. What a :censored: day!

serenity now...

SERENITY :censored: NOW!!!!!!!!

Spent thursday and friday plowing out woods roads into the 60 acre lot I am working on, and started dropping first trees today. Got a cord blocked and stacked on edged of woodroad, and another 7 trees dropped and limmed and ready for the tractor to pull them to the landing. There is about 18" of snow once you step of the plowed road so it is slow going at the moment. I am hoping I can stretch out the winter just working within 30 yards of the roads that I have plowed. That way I can drop and block or drop and drag everything without getting the equipment into the deep stuff. Temps in the mid twenties today but not all that bad to be working up the wood.

Maplemeister::chainsaw: :cheers:

Friday dropped a nice size elm and got it cut up and the top hauled home. Then started to clean up in the yard some. I need to have all of the wood either in the shed or stacked on pallets before spring. Can't have another year of wood just laying out in the yard.

Tomorrow I've got to see about some wood at a neighbors of my in-laws. Went by on Friday and it will either be 5 truck/trailer loads to move it all or something less depending on how much they want gone. Mostly cut up and in the yard. Just pull up and start loading. The best kind of free wood, other than delivered.:clap:

It was 9 when I woke up this morning. Have not cut a stick of wood this winter yet. been preoccupied with building a wood shed for my wood at my stove. Building is 20x24x14. A little more than I should have bit off but the frame is up and a little work and Ill hit the woods. I'll take a few pictures and send them in the future.

Went in to work this morning for a few hours. When I got off it was still around 50° and calm (intown). We loaded up saws and headed out with a couple of hours left to cut. We got out there and the wind was hitting 40MPH from the NW, the temps dropped over 15 degrees. I cut about $100 worth of wood for next season before dark. The boys did their part and we headed back in for some supper. After Supper I got a little slitting done since it wasn't a hard day.

Tomorrow, I figured on getting another stab at putting up the rest of next years wood. Maybe if I start while the sun was a little higher up I'll see if we can get a better showing. The weather is still calling for some wind and temps in the low 30's. Maybe it won't be so bad in the bottom land. and we'll go a little better dressed for it. It is supposed to freeze hard enough tonight we should be able to get in and back out. That's what I am hoping for at least.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be setting a small metal pole so I can have a light next to the stove, picked up an outdoor box, light switch, and flood light base today at Lowes.

What are others doing this weekend??

You're gonna love the light. I ran a line out to my woodshed and mounted a light inside. Just flip a switch in the house and the shed is all lit up. I'm surprised that more people don't do this.

This weekend? 10 degrees here this morning, but it should be nice enough to do some splitting later on today. Wouldn't mind seeing the wind die down from yesterday. Heading out for an early breakfast with a buddy, and then we are going to try and get his UV going so he can move some wood up to his house.

Took tractor out to drag some blow-downs up out of the woods. On first trip I got the :censored: rear tire against something and broke the :censored: valve stem off! Now I'm going to have to take the :censored: wheel off and take to town for a new :censored: inner tube. What a :censored: day!

serenity now...

SERENITY :censored: NOW!!!!!!!!

trapshooter - You get the "having a bad day award" :( - icreek, thank you - It was the only image I could find on my computor I could get small enough. I tried about a dozen...........:dizzy:

Demo interior walls for new family room. Clean up the dreaded vermiculite insulation. Monday should be in the 30's a good day to replace the two windows in that room. Lastly if there's time take a trip to the sawmill for some lumber. Worst part is being up at 6 and cant start untill later because we dont want to wake the wife!

Last edited:
Well it is Sunday evening, just got in from splitting some wood and cleaning up the area around the stove some more, and I got my light pole set this afternoon. We pushed it in about 3 feet with a backhoe chipper attachment, works great for setting metal post while keeping a level on it to make sure it is going in straight. I already have an spare electrical wire ran into the back of the stove, my FIL is welding me up a cap and bracket to hang the light fixture onto, and another flat piece to mount the exterior switch. If it is nice next weekend I should have it complete.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend !!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
We hosted a late Christmas gathering yesterday for my family, had 39 people in the house. My wife cooked one turkey in the oven, we did another smaller one in the deep fryer. I got 4 10oz striploins in the gift exchange, everyone had a great time. Spent today getting the house back to normal, pulled the kids on their GT Racer around with the snowmobile, had turkey sandwiches for lunch and supper, good weekend.

Latest posts

Back