Everyone wants to borrow a chain saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not lend tools they are used for my income. When a neighbor asks to borrow I ask what they think the cost is to buy it because its what I paid to own it to feed my family. Every single time it put them on their back foot with a blank face. Example, the guy across the street claimed he wanted a saw like the ones I build, when I explained they are anywhere from 500-1500 to buy and I do not loan he stopped asking but he knows to ask for help and I will pull one out and run it through whatever he wants cut up. This sets up his reaction for either respecting me and my things or no longer receiving help. The same happened with another neighbor who kept walking over and asking to borrow everything from screwdrivers to specialty sockets to repair his cars. I stopped him and said you do realize you have 1,000 dollars in tools in your hands correct? but he diddet care or was too dumb to realize what I was implying. The final straw was him asking me to stop working to get him my tools, I simply said Im too busy to get MY tools to loan them to you so why not go buy your own? He now pays me to do the work and no longer asks to borrow and the respect appreciation to me has returned.

I do not lend tools they are used for my income. When a neighbor asks to borrow I ask what they think the cost is to buy it because its what I paid to own it to feed my family. Every single time it put them on their back foot with a blank face. Example, the guy across the street claimed he wanted a saw like the ones I build, when I explained they are anywhere from 500-1500 to buy and I do not loan he stopped asking but he knows to ask for help and I will pull one out and run it through whatever he wants cut up. This sets up his reaction for either respecting me and my things or no longer receiving help. The same happened with another neighbor who kept walking over and asking to borrow everything from screwdrivers to specialty sockets to repair his cars. I stopped him and said you do realize you have 1,000 dollars in tools in your hands correct? but he diddet care or was too dumb to realize what I was implying. The final straw was him asking me to stop working to get him my tools, I simply said Im too busy to get MY tools to loan them to you so why not go buy your own? He now pays me to do the work and no longer asks to borrow and the respect appreciation to me has returned.
Your the kind of neibor ide love to have!

Yep, I only sell as parts/not working on evilbay and promise nothing about it running, even of by chance it does.
On to the main question. No I don't loan any tools out with few exceptions, and those are very close friends and some family members. I used to be one of the poulan loaner guys, but I'd loan it out with a $50.00 deposit. Bring the saw back running, cleaned off and the chain not destroyed and I'd give the money back. This was also when you could pick a cheap little saw up for under $20.00. Can't do that anymore and iq levels have dropped sharply in the past few years.
Now onto your very barbaric view of electric saws. They will hurt you just as bad, just as quick as their gas counterpart. What they lack in chain speed they near up for in torque, and many people arw just careless when they use thif my . You best hope whoever you loan one out to doesn't get hurt and decide to sue because you gave them a power tool .
Most definately do not loan chainsaws , unless your prepared for the consequences , their expensive & dangerous . I have seen & heard numerous horror stories of owners desribing their dismay . Anyhow , should my Son request any of my saws he is competent & would replace or repair any saw damaged . So exceptions do exist lol.

Another story (Real). Years ago I was in a Basket truck trimming a tree at one of my Mom and Dads rentals. Dad and his friend were watching me work (They were helping 'cuz they were staying out of the way). Next I knew his friend had the hood up on my pickup and using a 12 volt Dremel type chain sharpener on one of MY saws. My Dad looks up and shrugs his shoulders acknowledging our ways that nobody has that right. Way I was raised You NEVER touched Moms Purse or sharpen Dads saw. Use the saw bucking logs in the yard only, You want to cut firewood go get your own saw. The Stihl 051 was replaced with the 056 and I ended up getting a Magnum for my first saw, Really perked it up with a 8 pin rim - .375" compared to Dad running a 7 pin .404 we didn't know all about upgrading clutches and rims in those days. Seems a long time ago.

Absolutely no one I repeat no one uses my saws no one never no I make money with them saws a lot of money and I’ll be damned if I let anybody use my saws they stay in my back seat I treat my saws better than most my stuff.

Your Dad was different than mine. He never loaned you something unless it was broke or ready to break, and always with stingy strings attached. If you loaned him something it always seamed to come back rougher than it left. I was helping him chunk some bigger hackberry for firewood and he wanted to try My saw (056 Magnum) He always ran 051 Stihls and I started the cut, set the brake, Let him take over. Had to release the brake 'cuz he had never had one on his and in his later 70s he was starting to show some feeble in his age. Long story made short He Hit the dirt (Hard). He said he didn't so I showed him. That was one of the very few times he Humbly said "SORRY" AND one of the very few times in 40 plus years I ever saw him hit dirt with a saw. This story is full of messed up memories but the gist is even someone one with years of saw experience can bugger up a chain, Few people think it necessary to make it right. But That "SORRY" Meant more than a new chain to me and the value of that word from him was/is priceless. Probably the last time he ran a bigger saw.

That was my Dad's relationship with my Grandpa, which probably led him to be very meticulous over all his equipment down to the Bolt and Nut.

Mad3400

Chris. How many harbor freight saws do you get in for repair ?? I have spare bars and chains. And I would think it difficult to go more than 20 dollars damage to a used saw that cheap.

In my neighborhood it’s always like that. I’m in a small town, rural, we had a black bear in the yard 4 weeks ago. In my neighborhood it’s mostly divorced women, there’s one other guy who is handy, has tools and a truck. I have a dump truck, saws, rigging/chains and every kind of power tool from pneumatic impacts to a 14” gas chop saw. When something breaks or needs to be hauled, I get a call. Usually I don’t mind, but the wife gets fed up after a while. I lend to my cousins, dad, uncle and 1 brother in law. We all grew up running saws/equipment. No is the answer to anyone else.

Just keep around and old little cheapo saw in a black case. Don't fix it up.
Open it up and say after you get it cleaned up, fresh fuel/mix/bar oil and the chain sharpened I'll help you get it running.

Now you see how that goes or if they start offering to cut the lawn today and weed whack my yard. My cars and trucks need detailing. The bucket is in the garage with everything you need.... No... thought we were buds?

My bla bla is a tree guy just call him or me for a quote.
Enjoy your day :)

I used to have a 'friend' who used to borrow borrow borrow, he 'borrowed' a full gas bottle, never seen that again, he wanted to 'borrow' my fuel containers, he whined and harped on so much that in the end he only wanted the cap so stupidly I let him, never seen that again. He wanted to borrow my chainsaw, I gave him a firm no, he whined and harped on so much, in the end he only 'borrowed' the bar and chain, a few years later I managed to get the bar back again after a lot of reminding.
Woe betide me if I wanted to borrow any equipment of his....

Your Dad was different than mine. He never loaned you something unless it was broke or ready to break, and always with stingy strings attached. If you loaned him something it always seamed to come back rougher than it left. I was helping him chunk some bigger hackberry for firewood and he wanted to try My saw (056 Magnum) He always ran 051 Stihls and I started the cut, set the brake, Let him take over. Had to release the brake 'cuz he had never had one on his and in his later 70s he was starting to show some feeble in his age. Long story made short He Hit the dirt (Hard). He said he didn't so I showed him. That was one of the very few times he Humbly said "SORRY" AND one of the very few times in 40 plus years I ever saw him hit dirt with a saw. This story is full of messed up memories but the gist is even someone one with years of saw experience can bugger up a chain, Few people think it necessary to make it right. But That "SORRY" Meant more than a new chain to me and the value of that word from him was/is priceless. Probably the last time he ran a bigger saw.
and in all those years, you never "dug in the garden"? Great story. Happy 4th.

and in all those years, you never "dug in the garden"? Great story. Happy 4th.
Big Gardens , mostly tomatoes and green beans. I have 6 younger brothers 3 older sisters and 2 younger sisters. The Garden was plowed by friends and Later by Dad, tilled by Dad, then me. and on down the line. Picking was whoever got caught. Canning was a Mom and Grandma (Moms Mom) Thing and I was in the mix a lot. I still do 30 or 60 tomato plants each year and OKRA for me and cucumbers for pickles and salads. No Kids but the wife and I really like home canned tomatoes -Juice or whole and salsa and the relishes . Home canned tomato juice make a real red beer... Last garden for mom I helped her put sweet taters in (did most of it the cancer was getting her (died 02/07/07) and when it came time to dig them Dad wanted to use the plow moboard to roll them out. Mom did have a stubborn streak. I dug 4 rows about 75 ft long by hand before Dad got back from his working vacation (Brothers Farm in Minnesota) he died 08/13/13 and as far as I know He always figured Mom dug them herself.

This pissed me off just to read. If it actually happened to me, my reaction may well have caused the cops to get called.
If John (dads friend not mine) had opened his mouth wrong an ambulance might have been called. I usually keep my temper in check but I still wonder if Dad hadn't dared him. He liked to stir sh!t but could never take getting the wrong end of the SCHTICK.

Hello,
I have a big problem and that is the ring that covers the rotating thing on the chainsaw does not fit anymore. Should I be "forcing it" in or what do you think?
I'd appreciate any and all help you may have,
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20220705_175031.jpg
    20220705_175031.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220705_175026.jpg
    20220705_175026.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220705_175023.jpg
    20220705_175023.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Hello,
I have a big problem and that is the ring that covers the rotating thing on the chainsaw does not fit anymore. Should I be "forcing it" in or what do you think?
Thank you!
It’s definitely the muffler bearings…if you post it in every thread, that’ll fix them, guaranteed…lol

Не давам на. Когато и да е I don't lend anything. Whenever I give, it always comes back with some kind of defect. I would give something as a gift if I don't need it, but lending it - definitely not.

Hello,
Thank you!
You'll get much better results if you start your own thread in the appropriate section, and then wait patiently for responses, instead of spamming a dozen non related threads with your question.

Edit: To contradict myself, turn off your chain brake.

Latest posts

Back