Exhaust leak on my chipper-Ford 300/6

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This thing takes me back, I have no experience with the in-line 6 cylinders from the early 80's so fill me in.

My old chipmore is noisy, so I took a look.

The intake and exhaust manifolds seem to siamese together under the carb to pre-heat the intake from what I am guessing, but it leaks exhaust where the two meet, is this common? Is it a problem that is well known? Wrenching is not a problem, but if this needs an update instead of a repair let me know and I will fix it right the first time.

no update. just replace the intake/exhaust gasket. autozone sells it as one big gasket together. other places, you hafta hold 3 gaskets in place while you heft the manifolds. they go on as one unit together. make sure yours isn't cracked.

any gasket set from a f-100/f-150 will work. even the EFI (post 87) took the same gasket set.
(get someone to help hold it while you start the bolts. it can get heavy after a few minutes.)
Hey, since you're gonna be pulling it anyway, post '87 is a dual exhast setup ;) or you can find a duals manifold on ebay. of course you will hafta finish the job with 2 mufflers.....:D

-Ralph

edit: o yeah, there is a gasket between the intake and exhaust manifolds. but you still hafta pull both to change it, so new manifold gaskets anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will look into the upgrade...

What happens to eht bottom of the intake manifold it I swap to the dual manifolds? Can I just leave the bottom of the intake like it is then?

Hoosier said:
Thanks, I will look into the upgrade...

What happens to the bottom of the intake manifold if I swap to the dual manifolds? Can I just leave the bottom of the intake like it is then?

depends on the intake you have. some need a plate. cut one, drill 3 holes in it, and bolt it on. that same guy has one for sale for $50. or cut the plate part out of your old intake. But if you look first, u may not need it anyway. some didn't have the hole, they just bolted together for heat conduction.
-Ralph

Back