Exhaust port stick welding ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl dude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about STICK WELDING a west coast saw exhaust port on a MS 461 muffler.

Will the exhaust handle the heat from the welding?
What do I need to use as equipment?
Has anyone done this before ?

Cheers!

I was thinking about STICK WELDING a west coast saw exhaust port on a MS 461 muffler.

Will the exhaust handle the heat from the welding?
What do I need to use as equipment?
Has anyone done this before ?

Cheers!
I have done it. On a 462c and my new 500i.
I used a Tig welder with a stainless steel filler. So far, it’s been great.

I use oxy/acet torch with small tip and fluxed brass rod.

Welding sheet metal with a stick welder takes a lot of practice.
This.

I use O/A torch with silicon bronze filler rod. For flux, I get the rod hot, then dip it into 20 Mule Team borax, which then melts onto the filler rod. (The filler rod I use is uncoated for TIG brazing, but I prefer to braze with O/A torch...more heat control than TIG, and if you use borax flux when you TIG -- to clean the metal of the muffler -- the borax fouls up the TIG torch. But if you rely solely on the argon for shielding when TIG brazing a muffler, you sometimes don't get enough cleaning of the muffler metal without borax. The borax will really float a lot of dirt, contaminants and trash out of the way, and the nastier it is, the more borax you should use. After you're done, the borax will end up like a "glass" glaze or "slag" over everything but you can chip it off, or soak it in water which will dissolve it.)

I just did a diy dual port on a saw with my mig had a bit of a time chasing holes and I’m an ex body man. I got a little jewellers oxy/fuel torch that I will use with romex wire filler.

Nope nope nope yes nope.

Stainless usually isnt much stainless its just enough to Jack the price. Itl likely weld just fine with no special tig stuff.

030 wire aswell 35 work however I wouldn't attempt with a stick welder.

Lots of methods work mig tig brazeing torch rivet jb weld super glue. Only one I wouldn't attempt is stick. May not have a muffler left ounce done

Latest posts

Back