Exhaust Vents Chip Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menchhofer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Am considering having those exhaust vents installed in my chipper truck but am hesitant as to if they REALLY work or not/worth the expense. Seems as if I have noticed there is a lot of dust emanating from the rear of my truck while chipping lately.

Anyone have actual experience chipping into a truck with the vents?

1050697722.gif

I've wondered about that myself. :confused:

Most of the guys I sub to blast chips over the truck, and in front of it, making an extra mess they gotta clean up. Stupid homemade bed designs.
I'm kinda old school or whatnot. 'I believe' the chip box should capture most of the chips blown. I see a lotta these homemade one tons that sacrifice chip storage for log-loading ease, resulting in chips blown everywhere.

I guess thats the Oak Man talking in me.... :)

I don't have them in our chip truck either.

I honestly don't think it would help a great deal. I don't think the exhaust vents could keep up with the amount of air flow the chipper is creating when the truck is nearing full load capicity. Also the finer material is going to find it's way into the vents them selves and would require periodic cleaning to unclog them, another thought on this would be dead wood chipping creates more dust that would come out of the vents and get on the outside of the truck and sticking to the body, more cleaning.

We got them on the truck I work with and I dont see much if any difference in the dust blowing out of the side most comes out the back . I think if you have to pay to get it put on I would not do it. I've used the chip boxes that dont have them too so I seen it myself. my2cents

I've asked the manufacturers of those chip bodies if they understand hydraulics and air movement. They claim to but can't explain how those tiny vents are going to bleed off the cfm comiing from a chipper.

Think of it this way. Take a box type window fan and place it in the bathroom doorway. Now open the window a crack. Turn on the fan and see how mcu air spills back out of the bathroom continue opening the window until you don't feel any air spilling out. Now, compare this to the chip trucks.

The chipper's fan is pushing air into the truck at a very high cfm. The vents are too small, and screened, to allow a significant amount of air to spill.

One guy I talked to covered the vents becaues the water would get into the chips and freeze them in the winter. Also, they used the chip truck to transport bags of fert. With the vents, the bags got wet.

If you have to pay, keep your money.

If you really want an exact answer, look up someone who designs HVAC systems. They can give you a rough idea of the outlet size you would need to eliminate the air spilling.

Tom

Latest posts

Back