Expansion chambers.. need to pick brains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
Reaction score
I'm working on some expansion chamber design software (I'd rather spend 300 hours making it than paying $50) I would like to have some discussions with people with experience who've built them and can tell me if the numbers in "math land" work in real life..

My biggest problem is figuring out the temperatures (thus wave speed) through the pipe... Anyone got some experimental data for port temp to belly temp? In 'math land' right now, I'm getting about a 120*C (220F) temp drop from mid-header to belly.. is that about reasonable? header area to belly area ratio is about 1:9 (1:3 diameter ratio)

I am trying to make this so you can SEE how any changes in diffuser and baffle lengths/diameters affect the wave amplitude and timings

Also, it seems that the stingers are typically mounted on the end of the baffle cone.. though I was wondering if as far as functionality is concerned if you could take it off from the belly?

And one last thing (for now).. there's a real lack of information on stinger sizing... namely, is there any advantage to choosing a bigger, longer stinger over a thinner, short one? And what kind of mean pressures are you looking for inside the chamber?

Here's a screenshot.. I'm still working on it evidently.. I've already updated a lot of stuff. I've also already made it calculate the dimensions for the cones to help with layout.

.ECprogScreenshot.jpg

Back