Expensive Fire Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scary one, Clint. I'm looking at taking down a leaning Oak in front of my house and that video shows just one of the hazards I've got to consider. With the house under the tree, that one just might turn into expensive firewood.

don't have the pic but still nervous when the electric bill comes in. I cut a tree that I had tied to the truck with the winch cable thinking I can pull this away from the shed and the power line. well it had rained and I forgot to lock in the hubs and when I cut it while standing on a ladder I see the tree start falling and thinking well the cables tight its ok! wrong, I see the cable pulling and then see the truck sliding. so I'm powerless all I can do is drop the saw, lean back and watch the carnage. well the tree falls onto the power line and pulls it down then I see the line tightening going to the transformer. well it was the best light show when the transformer blew and killed the power to the neighborhood!

When I pull trees, I use a heavy nylon rope that has a lot of stretch in it. That way I sort of have a giant rubber band pulling the tree in the direction I want. If the tractor can't get to the area to pull, I use comealongs anchored to another tree. If I'm worried, I'll double or triple the rope. This is for small to midsize trees, I'm too chicken to go after the big ones. I've never cut around power lines or buildings if there is any question as to the direction the tree will go, I don't trust my amateur skills that much. I've always wondered what the power company will do if you tear down a line, I always figured they would send me the bill for the damages if I screwed up. Yeah, too bad we can't have video of you blowing up a transformer........

When I pull trees, I use a heavy nylon rope that has a lot of stretch in it. That way I sort of have a giant rubber band pulling the tree in the direction I want. If the tractor can't get to the area to pull, I use comealongs anchored to another tree. If I'm worried, I'll double or triple the rope. This is for small to midsize trees, I'm too chicken to go after the big ones. I've never cut around power lines or buildings if there is any question as to the direction the tree will go, I don't trust my amateur skills that much. I've always wondered what the power company will do if you tear down a line, I always figured they would send me the bill for the damages if I screwed up. Yeah, too bad we can't have video of you blowing up a transformer........
I understand it's best to do something unfortunate like dropping a tree on power lines is to do it on a Sunday . The boys get called out on duble time pay. They take there time and clean up branches that are contacting the power lines . At least that's what my lineman friends tell me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok not funny but really expensive, a coworkers cousin worked days and worked around his house at night. well one night he had decided to cut a rather large tree that was in his garden so he used a come-a-long and a jerk strap to pull the tree the direction he wanted. well when they found his body under the tree they released the come-a-long and strap the strap stretched 6 feet. and while they(volunteer ff) were working they had to contend with all the t-post from his past tomato crop. and did I mention he was doing this in the dark with a lantern? again not funny in the least but I figured it was definitely expensive. if deemed inappropriate please delete this post.

ok not funny but really expensive, a coworkers cousin worked days and worked around his house at night. well one night he had decided to cut a rather large tree that was in his garden so he used a come-a-long and a jerk strap to pull the tree the direction he wanted. well when they found his body under the tree they released the come-a-long and strap the strap stretched 6 feet. and while they(volunteer ff) were working they had to contend with all the t-post from his past tomato crop. and did I mention he was doing this in the dark with a lantern? again not funny in the least but I figured it was definitely expensive. if deemed inappropriate please delete this post.

Any more details? How did this guy manage to get under a falling tree? I'm a tomato gardener as well as a tree cutter and I don't like reading stuff like this. So far, when I use straps and come-a-longs, each tree has done exactly what I want it to. I use a very long ladder and get my strap or rope attached as high as I can get it. If I want it higher than say 30 feet, or if the tree isn't set up for safe ladder use, I use a big fishing rod to sling some line over a main branch way up there, then use the fishing line to pull some heavier nylon cord up, then I use the cord to pull my big rope up. It's time consuming and involved, and the pros would probably laugh at me, but I've always achieved the results I wanted.

no more details, no witness but him. it was a very large tree and he mentioned to his cousin that he was going to cut it cause it shaded his garden. the jerk strap I'm told is designed to be somewhat elastic so you can get a little run and jerk the stuck vehicle out. his son in law I believe found him. his cousin (my ex-coworker)used to joke his cousin(the victim) did more work at night than most people do all day.

as to my transformer blow-up. it had a pretty blue arc and a loud buzz for lack of a better term. it also leaked out the cooling oil killing the grass in the neighbors yard the pole is in. was told no pcb's no worries.

as to my transformer blow-up. it had a pretty blue arc and a loud buzz for lack of a better term. it also leaked out the cooling oil killing the grass in the neighbors yard the pole is in. was told no pcb's no worries.
Did it take off the top of the pole when it let go . We had a ice storm a few years ago and a few transformers that blew up and took off the top 1/3 of the pole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no luckly the poles on both ends survived. the cable that the electric line hangs on ripped off on one end. new end, new transformer, new cable lugs. electric!

Back