Extention Pole Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuzbee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have any of you all had any experiences with an extention pole saw?
I looked at a Stihl that was about $600 and had a '12ft reach including the saw. This is the only one I've seen besides one of those cheap electric saws.
What do you guys use? What's the best buy and how much do they run? Size?

:blob2:

Husky & Echo both make a couple of different models. Like the Stihl they are pricey and have options and extensions. Haven't used one but for the price tag. good old arms and shoulders w/ the manual type for me. I have heard (probably here) that they aren't very clean with the pruning cut.

I have a stihl extension pole saw, the only reason i got it is because i work at a golf course and it saves me alittle time when i have a broken limb or a hanger that i can reach with it . It is hard but possible to get a good cut with it because you are cutting so far from where your eyes can see. when im taking a long limb off with it ill just cut 3 to 4 foot sections off at a time and then carefully make my final cut just outside the branch collar. It has served its purpose for what i use it for but i would still rather be hanging from a rope and making my final cut with my climbing saw and close up where i know im making a good cut. JPM

Click on the Sherrill link above & check out manual polesaws. I own both a powered saw from Stihl & the Japanese one Sherrill sells. I use the manual 99% of the time. It cuts as well if not better, reaches higher (20 + feet), always starts, is lighter, never has a maintenence issue AND cost about a third of a powered unit.

i've got the echo ppt260 w/ a 10" bar. it kicks ass!!!!! i also have the 5' extension for it so i can reach up 20 feet. i use it mainly for prunning palms. i can zip thru a 20' palm, remove about 20 frons in about 10 minutes!!!!! i've had it for 2 months now and it's more than paid for itself. i've done some oak prunning w/ it as well. the trick of the power prunner is to let the saw do all of the work, don't force the cut. keep the chains sharpe and it makes a nice, clean cut.
budroe:cool:

If you use the basic tooth style like the 'snap cut' blades, they can be sharpened with a small triangular file. Basically the same type stroke as sharpening a chain, if you can do one you can do the other. They don't come out perfect, but better than not doing anything. I've sharpened them when working for companies that won't let you get a new blade whenever you want one (like every other day :rolleyes: ), but rarely sharpen my own when new blades are only $8.

I love my Power Pruners! The Stihl is a nice tool but I chose Echo because of the available extension. I've been using a Power pruner for several years and wouldn't want to give it up. With sharp chain and good technique I get clean cuts. It is a great work saver in one sense but it is also a lot of work to operate. I wouldn't recommend a Power Pruner for the casual user-too expensive and requires practice to use it well, but it saves a lot of climbing for a pro.:cool:

Originally posted by Nickrosis
Does anybody resharpen their pole saw blades?

Nickrosis

I used to when I worked for penny-pinching company. Those, and handsaws. The new edge never seemed to last very long. Nowadays I just buy new ones.

I've tried , even bought a file that was suppose to do the job right. Never could get it as sharp as new or would cut straight.

Blades today are a harder metal alloy, the turbo cuts have two or three angles to sharpen. I think computers are used to cut the blanks at the factory. Very hard to get it right the way the manufacturer does it.

Hand saw sharpening is a lost art.

Larry

Originally posted by nuzbee
Have any of you all had any experiences with an extention pole saw?
I looked at a Stihl that was about $600 and had a '12ft reach including the saw. This is the only one I've seen besides one of those cheap electric saws.
What do you guys use? What's the best buy and how much do they run? Size?

:blob2:

One of the best toy's to come along in years!:cool:

I'd rather take an arse-wupping than pack a PP up a tree. I've done it... twice. :blob2:

Butt I agree witcha on the best toy in years!;)

i have used both the pricey and the cheap , i find the cheap to be a far better bargin .

i bought the extend it from home depot and it fits right on many different brands of split shaft weed wackers , its a full horse so it cuts just as good if not better than the pricey models plus you can use it for other things and its really nice that it shortens up nice so you can fit it into small storage places. even inside the pick up cab.

I've pretty much never found the cheapest to be the better deal. It seems so at first, but then I usually find out why it was so cheap.

Ya gets whats ya pay for. Mostly.

I go for echo

Ya id go for echo because its cheaper and runs just as good as husky or stihl. And there only about 300$. The bar i think is about 12 inch. But not to shore.

powered pole saws

This year my wife and son bought me the husky 326 P-5X . It is solid and ive cut many 8 - 10 " oak limbs off with it has all the power I wanted a 12 " bar and I find it very handy . also for another 100.00 you can buy the shaft and trimmer head and handle and have a top shelf string trimmer with the removal of 3
allen screws to switch it over, i'll be picking up on this as I also have branched out into lawn care . It all adds up to $ when you work for yourself .this unit sells for 499.95 retail .:cool:

Nick

Are you skipping your English class to post on AS?

I type faster than you ever will and I dont go back to look at wat I wrote so shut the hell up.Why dont u try to help ppl instead of dickin ppl off.:angry:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back