Extreme lean + heavy on lean side + heart rot . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll get you a pic by Monday or Tuesday pulling some big rotten sonof##### way beyond the limits of what the wood intended. Logging in a swamp that has not been cut in his lifetime (proclaimed by the 80 year old farmer who was born there) presents its challenges.

I too have cut many thousands of boxelders. Biggest was 50" on the stump. Maybe 80' tall. Thats how I got started years ago. Cutting the uglies.

The chair is caused by a stall at the stump.

Awesome. I can't wait to see it. Where is "hardwood country" do you mind telling me what state you're in? Would love to chew the fat about acer negundo sometime never even seen a 50" - biggest in my patch was a 3 footer. All of mine are flamed. Every last one of them and I have thousands on the 52 acres. Actually only half of the 52 acre parcel has them but they grow fatser than I harvest. I would imagine your 50" was hollow yes?

Anyway can't wait to see the leaner pics.

I'm pretty big on multiple step Dutchmen and a nice big siswheel if I need to swing a hard leaner. Which is fairly often on flat ground .
Siswheels , like kerf Dutchmen , they are like Best Foods (Helman's for those on the east side of the Rockies ) mayo and real maple syrup.
They make things better. !!!

Awesome. I can't wait to see it. Where is "hardwood country" do you mind telling me what state you're in? Would love to chew the fat about acer negundo sometime never even seen a 50" - biggest in my patch was a 3 footer. All of mine are flamed. Every last one of them and I have thousands on the 52 acres. Actually only half of the 52 acre parcel has them but they grow fatser than I harvest. I would imagine your 50" was hollow yes?

Anyway can't wait to see the leaner pics.

I'm in Eastern WI. Well here are a couple of ash from this morning. The one I had to swing would have piled into another tree. The wood has been pretty clean the last few days, but it got a little ugly again today. Anyway I cut the far side off first, then a humboldt with a snipe on the butt. You really have to watch and feel the kerf and be quick with your hands or it will sit down hard. For the back cut I reached over and cut the far side first and brought it back around to my side. It went pretty quick. You can see that I left the pull wood on the root flare intentionally. It came around like it was supposed to. Last week I had one pull too well and I missed the lay by quite a ways. These trees were pretty short and bushy though. The one I missed was a straight 80 or 90' stick so it had a little more time and leverage. I had them completely blowing up on the stump that day so when it was time to run it was time to run. A tree really shouldn't chair when its hollow because everything that causes the chair is already gone. I did not bore anything on these stumps.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I used to cut a lot of big boxelder around old farm yards and fence lines and stuff. I don't remember exactly what the stump looked like, but I am sure it was ugly. I've cut some seriously ugly trees. I don't think I'll ever do that kind of work again. It sucks.

View attachment 248709
View attachment 248710
View attachment 248711

Last edited:
I barbered a solid boxelder yesterday that was a heavy leaner even more so than the cedar in my OP, and I used a plunge with holding wood. I thought I should probably use a Coos Bay but I wanted to see if it really would barber. It did and perfectly (if you can call a barber perfect). Naturally I didn't have my camera but since I didn't have time to buck and load it I just left it as it fell and will get some pics of it when I get back out to that tract next week. I know it wouldn't have barbered with a CB cut.

I wouldn't have done it if I'd known it was going to have so much flame in it. Wasted a little wood "experimenting" like that but it was worth it. Gained a little more knowledge and that's a good thing.

Nice work thanks for the pics.

I barbered a solid boxelder yesterday that was a heavy leaner even more so than the cedar in my OP, and I used a plunge with holding wood. I thought I should probably use a Coos Bay but I wanted to see if it really would barber. It did and perfectly (if you can call a barber perfect). Naturally I didn't have my camera but since I didn't have time to buck and load it I just left it as it fell and will get some pics of it when I get back out to that tract next week. I know it wouldn't have barbered with a CB cut.

I wouldn't have done it if I'd known it was going to have so much flame in it. Wasted a little wood "experimenting" like that but it was worth it. Gained a little more knowledge and that's a good thing.

Nice work thanks for the pics.

What are you using the wood for and by flamed are you refering to the pinkish/redish streaks that can be in the wood? I always thought if you cut some decent ones it would make some interesting looking lumber. I've seen oranges, blues, and greens in boxelder too. Also my guess is that your face is too narrow and you are leaving too thick of a hinge. Bore out the heart wood (if any) and put a snipe on it.

No, sometimes you gotta push the envelope. Better to learn when too much is too much when you have a place to git to than to be stuck in a situation and not know the outcome.
Thats how ya learn things like how much of a Russian coupling to Buck into a tree that's spanning a draw. Or when too much wind is too much..
Yesterday I cut in the wind, just a good breeze really. It was a God send! Sometimes I'd have half the back cut in then wait, couple times for up to 2 minutes. Never got pinched all day. But it was lots of cutting in the wind that taught me when to wait and when to Hog oner. !

I was prepared to get replies like this, and take no offense at all. I might have replied the same way. When you see the tree you may change your mind - maybe not. Small trees can kill or maim also I know it as well as any, but this was as close to a controlled barber as it gets. Thanks for the input though and normally I would agree.

I was "lucky" enough to have the step drunk around to try all the stupid things you can think of with a chainsaw. My uncle and ma are the ones that taught me how to really run a saw, yes I said my ma, :msp_ohmy: the step drunk on the other hand was just too stupid to know when he was about to die, worst chair I ever saw took his ball cap off but missed his head....still don't like falling in the wind though

I was "lucky" enough to have the step drunk around to try all the stupid things you can think of with a chainsaw. My uncle and ma are the ones that taught me how to really run a saw, yes I said my ma, :msp_ohmy: the step drunk on the other hand was just too stupid to know when he was about to die, worst chair I ever saw took his ball cap off but missed his head....still don't like falling in the wind though

The only thing that mixes well with excessive alcohol is stupidity.

A little help, please.

I have a nice fir with a heavy lean; a typical mountain tree with a crook in the stem. It is too expensive of a stick to risk a barber chair. Can’t do a bore cut, the south Florida tongue and groove or a Leatherman, and I am not sure if I should try a Coos Bay (Tee or Triangle) given the stem size. I've given up on the chainsaw forum as most of them don't even know how to sight in a saw so any help you could give me would be appreciated.

I know that someone will likely post that irritating reply that more information is needed so here is all I can tell you: First, despite my annual protests that I put them down not up, I once again got the assignment to put up the family Christmas tree. My best efforts notwithstanding, this year’s tree has already fallen over four times. It is now upright, tied to the wall but leaning precariously - totally unacceptable to the powers that be. I have tried to explain that the remedy is over my pay grade as the stem has a crook at the base, which is what you get when you buy a tree in the dark. I couldn’t make the case so it looks like I am going to have to fall that tree and cut out the crook. In addition to the safety considerations, I need to know the cut that will produce the smallest amount of sawdust and which will have exceptional directional control as the tree has to miss both the candles and the manger scene.

With much thanks and wishes for a Merry Christmas, Ron

a slopping back cut will make it do all you want it to.:msp_wink: merrychristmas ron and to all.

Latest posts

Back