Face shield with muffs AND hard hat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should only protect those parts of your body that you want to keep. Remember that insurance will normally cover the repairs to an accidental removal of a limb. It is just plain silly to bother with kevlar etc. if you ultimately don't really want to drag the extra weight of *TWO* legs around. And 2 eyes? Don't get me started - always have to worry about 1 of them getting poked out.

A brain bucket is superfluous for many of us - we don't use the gray matter anyway.

My rule is - save money on PPE for when you really need it (like after you already loose one of the redundant members).

^^^ :yourock:

I'm afraid that might interfere with the aerodynamics of our hardhats. How can it sail through the air nicely with such a contraption? The hat is an important part of an extreme riggin' fit. The riggin' fit is expressed in many ways, but the hardhat throw means things are really bad.

Yep, nothing beats a good hardhat throw when the moment really deserves it...except the the also very popular saw case kick...but ALWAYS make sure that the SAW IS NOT IN THE CASE when you execute that stunning "40 yard field goal kick" on the saw case (don't ask how I know this :mad:)

Bounty Hunter

I'm afraid that might interfere with the aerodynamics of our hardhats. How can it sail through the air nicely with such a contraption? The hat is an important part of an extreme riggin' fit. The riggin' fit is expressed in many ways, but the hardhat throw means things are really bad.

Would one of those "helmets" hold up through a fit? I doubt it.

The other thing is, I and most other folks out here tend to just toss my hardhat in the backseat, or pickup bed at the end of the day. We're hard on them. I can see things breaking quickly. Very quickly.
The husky husky hard hats do fly pretty good but i dont use the shield on mine either. Dont ask me how i know.

Most of the time I use the older Stihl/Peltor setup, can't recall how long I've had it.
Saved my noggin' more than once. :dizzy:

Suprisingly I can still get parts for it...ironically at the Husky dealer. :cheers:

Ed

To my esteemed colleagues,

I don't sell these, and am not even promoting them, but I DO have to respond, just in case there is anyone in the A.S. blogosphere who is really is serious about this:

"Not for use in areas where splash could occur." Not to be a wise acre, but the dessert is the only place I can think of where that sort of condition exists....and there ain't a whole lotta trees to cut in a dessert.

The company (MSA) that manufactures that model sells a wide variety of PPE components (different helmet types, ear protection, face protection, etc.) that can be assembled in different ways. Like Tinker Toys or Legos. They are sold for a wide range of industrial, mining, agricultural, and other uses.

Good sense (and their Legal Department) require them to point out that just because the parts fit, does not mean that it is an appropriate choice. The mesh shield shown is also available with a clear polycarbonate front for grinding; with tinted shields for welding/arc flash, etc.

You might actually find a combination that fits your unique needs (like welding ironwood?). The mesh really helps out in Minnesota with mosquitos in July, but too loose of a mesh for the black flies.

slop said:
The other thing is, I and most other folks out here tend to just toss my hardhat in the backseat, or pickup bed at the end of the day. We're hard on them. I can see things breaking quickly. Very quickly.

It's nice to hear that after throwing your brain bucket in anger (little OddJob envy going on there, eh?) you cushion it on your backseat and not on the floor for the ride home.

The visor shown flips up or snaps off for better aerodynamics and storage. But breakage and storage are also a factor with the 'conventional' forestry combo helmets as well.

Philbert

Last edited:
Philbert,

Thanks for that. The warning should read "Not for cutting in the rain, aqua logging, or users who forget not to spit snus with the shield down".

I can see the utility for welding Ironwood though...:hmm3grin2orange:

LOL!!!

BTW.
I NEVER throw a helmet. That's what the Hatchett and Oregon LGX chains are for.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I just cut recreationally as well but I always use my Jonsered helmet/muffs/face shield. Chain saws are noisy and potentially dangerous pieces of equipment. I have had branches fall on my head and sawdust or other debris fly at my eyes. I have been protected by my gear.

I live on 2.5 acres of rural property. I use a brush cutter to keep the bush at bay and I always wear the helmet when I run it. My eyes thank me every time.

On a slightly related note, I saw one of my neighbour's kids out one day using a brush cutter - no PPE, and wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Funniest thing - kid kept wincing in pain every time he got hit in the shins with flying debris. What did he think would happen if he was hit in the face?

Latest posts

Back