Face shield with muffs AND hard hat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joatman and Newf Caper, I think those are about the same helmet or same design and copies are made. I used one like those for several years and always like it. It was light and didn't stick out too far in any direction. The earmuffs tuck out of the way if you don't need them.

Sam

I have the Husky helmet/ear muff/face shield.

I just cut firewood for my house, and keep my 5 acres up.

But... I use that helmet for everything. Chainsaw work always. It has the flap on the back; it works great when I am out bushhogging with the tractor. The tractor is not loud, but after hour the drone gets me. And the flap keeps the dust/grass off my neck. And, with lots of trees, the branches/twigs out of my face.

And, when I use the big weedeaters/brush cutters, it is great.

I definitely get the most use out of it when bushhogging and weedeating, ie a lot of hours.

I've been using the Husky full head rig for several years, like it a lot, don't know who makes it for them. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I especially like the spring-loaded muffs that will easily snap partway out if you want to hear somebody talking, without having to mess around with the muffs. I thought I'd have a hard time getting used to seeing through the screen wire face shield, but it was no problem, I didn't even notice it after a few minutes of use. A solid plastic face shield like many head rigs have would drive me nuts, I think, now that I'm used to the nice breezy feel of the wire mesh--especially on a hot day. The mesh keeps crap out of my eyes but allows me to keep my bifocals on, and doesn't get scuffed up or need frequent cleaning.

Here's what I have and like. It's from a site sponsor.

Gripo Pro Helmet System

ole joat

:agree2:

That's what I use too...works great and is 1/2 price the Stihl / Husky ones.
Use it for runnin the FS250 too, when cr@p is flying everywhere...
The ear muffs are perfect...they really cut the noise down (we run all muff modded saws now...except the 200Ts). And when you want to hear something, the ear muffs "pop out" a little and stay on yer head...so the helmet won't fall off. Just nudge 'em and they pop back in...yer ready to cut.

Bounty Hunter

All good posts for the use of these very efficient PPE systems. I mean you get three forms of safety in one easy to keep track of unit.

I have never understood the separate helmet, ear plugs and safety glasses group. If that isn't the epitome of inefficiency I don't know what is.

One thing I forgot to mention that I don't like about the Peltor is the size of the screen mesh, and is a major reason why I don't like cutting with it, is its too large. When felling a tree you are cutting and looking up and cutting and looking up and about everytime I look up, sawdust falls through the mesh and into my eyes. I have never had this problem with any of the other face shields on the other helmet systems. The Rockman has the finest of all them I think.

Just a side note,

Sam

Last edited:
Here's mine, the rust on the face shield is from sweat and tryin to spit through it.lol

chainsaws148.jpg

I've got the Husky helmet and wear it most of the time whenever I'm running a saw, but definately whenever I've got to fall something. The face shield is a bit flimsy and is due to be replaced.

Grandson and son-in-law ready to work.
attachment.php

The face shield is a bit flimsy and is due to be replaced.

Good point (even if unintentional) - one advantage of buying the 'name brand' products (Husky, STIHL, Peltor, etc.) is that replacement parts (muffs, suspension, shield) are readily available from full line dealers, if that is important. Some guys would just replace the whole thing.

Philbert

How many of you recreational/occasional users use one of these helmets?
Princess Auto sells a combination face shield and ear muffs, but no option for a hard hat.

I don't think that safety really has a price... overkill is definitely not a bad thing,

PA sells their mask for $20, I'm sure the unit I'm referring to is likely triple in price... I don't think I'll be felling many trees, because 90% of the stuff I'll be chopping up will already be down from storms etc.
I see that Stihl and Husky both offer the same style helmet,

Is one really better over the other? I'm looking for comfort more than ease of adjust-ability since I'll be the only one wearing the equipment (I don't like sharing - cooties :p)

Edit:
I need CHAPS too!
Decent suppliers in Canada? Or would I be better off just getting some from the dealer?
It only takes one limb to get you. Even if their down the helmet and face sheild will keep you from getting slapped in the face or hit in the head from a limb that you're cutting off the trunk. Also the ear muffs make the noise level tolarable. Saws are a lot louder in the woods. It don't matter which one you buy cause any of them is better than nothing.

They will seem a little awkward at first but once you wear it a while you will feel naked without it. When you decide which one just make sure to wear it cause you only got one melon.

All good posts for the use of these very efficient PPE systems. I mean you get three forms of safety in one easy to keep track of unit.

I have never understood the separate helmet, ear plugs and safety glasses group. If that isn't the epitome of inefficiency I don't know what is.

Sam

I don't think they make "face shields" to fit our hardhats out here.

attachment.php

Most folks around here wear the full brims in the woods. Good rain protection, and good limb protection. It might could be hard to spit chew through a screen.

And I can wear different colored ear plugs to suit my mood. Just call me slow....

Bugz are for me. I fog up glasses or get them icky in the rain.

Another PNW thing that you probably don't understand. :cheers:

I don't think they make "face shields" to fit our hardhats out here.

Slowp,

Depends. Most hard hat accessories are designed to snap into the accessory slots on the sides of conventional hard hats. However, several of the manufacturers (MSA, Fibre Metal, etc.) do have kits for attaching face shields to full brim hard hats.

These usually involve a spring or band that encircles the hat or the brim. They might not fit all brands of hard hats, and they may look especially 'dorky', even compared to the standard forestry helmet/muff/screen combo, but I am pretty sure that if you really wanted one, and worked with the right safety equipment rep, you could get one too!

Philbert
attachment.php

I got both Husky's and Peltor/stihl combos like the comfort of the peltor system but the Husky is sturdier i think not a failer loosening parts with the husky and it's five years old but the peltor is only 3 month old and already got muff/screen holders sliding out the helmet, gonna use some glue to get it staying put !!

Slowp,

Philbert
attachment.php

"Not for use in areas where splash could occur."

Not to be a wise acre, but the dessert is the only place I can think of where that sort of condition exists....and there ain't a whole lotta trees to cut in a dessert.

Gotta love the Liability stooges!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'm afraid that might interfere with the aerodynamics of our hardhats. How can it sail through the air nicely with such a contraption? The hat is an important part of an extreme riggin' fit. The riggin' fit is expressed in many ways, but the hardhat throw means things are really bad.

Would one of those "helmets" hold up through a fit? I doubt it.

The other thing is, I and most other folks out here tend to just toss my hardhat in the backseat, or pickup bed at the end of the day. We're hard on them. I can see things breaking quickly. Very quickly.

How many of you recreational/occasional users use one of these helmets?
Princess Auto sells a combination face shield and ear muffs, but no option for a hard hat.

I don't think that safety really has a price... overkill is definitely not a bad thing,

:agree2:

I use the combo helmet all the time. The face shield on mine is sort of a coarse screen, lets air in for hot weather, but keeps chips out. Still wear safety glasses under the shield though.

You can find these rigs at places that sell industrial safety equipment. Grainger and MSC also carry them, and you can order online.

All great advice so far! Keep em coming,
I'm actually surprised to hear a lot of you guys wear them... lots (not all) of the pics I have seen on here, I hardly see any safety gear laying around or on people using the equipment. I definitely don't want to order anything online... because it's one of those things I want to be comfortable wearing.

So I'll need to try a few on and see what the deal is, I guess my first best get is to swing by a dealer and test out the husky and stihl helmets first and go from there...

One thing I probably will order online will be labonville chaps though,
That video has me convinced... sucks I can't find them on my side of the pond

You should only protect those parts of your body that you want to keep. Remember that insurance will normally cover the repairs to an accidental removal of a limb. It is just plain silly to bother with kevlar etc. if you ultimately don't really want to drag the extra weight of *TWO* legs around. And 2 eyes? Don't get me started - always have to worry about 1 of them getting poked out.

A brain bucket is superfluous for many of us - we don't use the gray matter anyway.

My rule is - save money on PPE for when you really need it (like after you already loose one of the redundant members).

Back