Facebook score this morning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't have time to watch the video, but wanted to jump in here. If you have a super 2 or xl saw like this one...I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT FOR YOU!!! Many of these saws can be very difficult to start, but once started with gas in the carb or ether, they seem to run fine and will restart fine when warm. There is a very unusual reason for this that is VERY easy to fix! It's the choke lever. Look closely at the choke lever when moving it to the full choke position. If the lever hits the little plastic guard surrounding it, then use a razor knife to shave the plastic away. You will find that the choke lever will move farther around. Just keep trimming the plastic until the choke lever can no longer hit the plastic when it gets to the end of its rotation (full choke). I actually had one of these saws given to me because it was so hard to start. It was almost brand new (but several years old by then just no run time on it). It had been back to the dealer multiple times with no luck. It sat on a shelf for several years until its owner, a buddy of mine, handed it to me and said it was junk. I fiddled with it for a couple of hours before discovering this problem. Once I shaved away the plastic I let it set for 24 hours, grabbed it, set choke, 2 pulls it was running. Has never failed to start since!!!
So if you have a super 2 or XL with the choke lever next to the handle like this one with the plastic curved slot guard around it....and you find it difficult to start cold, then take a close look. You might have very simple fix on your hands!

Grabbed this guy for $25 off of a local FB sales page...starts with ether, but won't stay running. Going to spray the carb with some cleaner and give it another go. What else should I be looking for? I'm a n00b when it comes to small engine repair.

b81d03b491e0e82e1d3ee1a8bbab87ea.jpg

1595aaef8758ccc8be9f9cbfcd9f15aa.jpg
Bad ass score! I have 2 xl2's and I love em. I'm not much of a small engine guy either but I would start with cleaning the carb like you said, and a new spark plug for starters. But once you get it running keep it running, don't let it sit long try to run it as often as possible! Good luck!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Back