Facecut question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this sure got interesting lol. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that an "open face" is a facecut with both top and bottom sloping?

And...I need to buy a saw. Which saw should I buy? I want one that will prune rose bushes, cut OG Redwood, mill 36inch slabs, mow the lawn, run forever on darn poor maintenance, look really cool in the back of my pickup, and not cost over 300 dollars. Any ideas?

I recommend a PRO saw, cause homeowner saws are to heavy and gutless for anything and everything. You'll need to pay twice as much as you want to and then get it ported otherwise it'll be a dog. Oh yeah, it's gotta be made by whichever brand it was you said you weren't interested in as well, the one with the closest dealer 500 miles away

Good luck :jester:

Aghhem!!!!

steep slope is supposed to break the fibers, and give you more control of the fall... when you have to shallow of a face angle, that gap closes to early and then the stem will lift off the stump literally pulling fiber out to do so, you also lose control prematurely, since your holding wood is now pulled out and therefore only holding onto air.
NOT TO MENTION THE POTENTIAL FOR A BARBER CHAIR.i read the last page n skipped to the front .i know this gets better!

i think its "yep'

Well this sure got interesting lol. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that an "open face" is a facecut with both top and bottom sloping?

this was alot of reading{3 beers}. Out here we call it a birds mouth.use it a lot on heavy leaners with a worthy diameter. There are alot of good cutters on this site.Some are full of sh$t though.And we can't mess w/ someone who has 11,000plus entries :taped: i read through this like some couch-locked house rat. it was good !oh!I am a couch locked house rat L.O.L. . oNLY FOR 3 MORE DAYS THOUGH THEN ITS BACK TO THE TIMBER:eek:uttahere2:

On a more serious note, recent experimentation can confirm that a 79cc saw with 32" bar trims waist high hedges REAL fast. It does leave slopping short back and side cuts and stalks but also more time for holiday refreshments and fishing.

You're Welcome.

As you were...

this was alot of reading{3 beers}. Out here we call it a birds mouth.use it a lot on heavy leaners with a worthy diameter. There are alot of good cutters on this site.Some are full of sh$t though.And we can't mess w/ someone who has 11,000plus entries :taped: i read through this like some couch-locked house rat. it was good !oh!I am a couch locked house rat L.O.L. . oNLY FOR 3 MORE DAYS THOUGH THEN ITS BACK TO THE TIMBER:eek:uttahere2:

Hahaha. You can mess with anybody you want to, regardless of their post count. It's all in good fun.
As my dear old dad would have said. It's not the year model that counts, it's the miles on the odometer....and the fuel used to put them there. :laugh:
I'm ready to get back to work too. Winter sux.

Andy

Why not?

As far as learning from the old timers..... some of them are very crude in their felling technique. Some are good. But all of them are still around due to their situational awareness. Work on picking up that from the experienced guys first. Then make nice stumps. If you make your first 1000 stumps perfect, then get. killed, was it worth it? Look up, look around, be aware.

Maybe I'm missing something here but every "perfect" stump I have ever sawed was the product of a well executed fall. Aka tree in lead, saved out cause of being in lead and kept the operator safe. Of course there are many other concerns, but a good stump usually means things went right.

Kid, I think his point was simply that which I highlighted. He is just reminding us that many fallers have left a "perfect" stump but was killed in the process. There have been several falling videos posted on this site where the follow up comments were "Great job excepted you never looked up." If he was advocating that falling technique is over-rated then IMO he is clearly wrong. Ron

Hahaha. You can mess with anybody you want to, regardless of their post count. It's all in good fun.
As my dear old dad would have said. It's not the year model that counts, it's the miles on the odometer....and the fuel used to put them there. :laugh:

Andy

Yup.

Kid, I think his point was simply that which I highlighted. He is just reminding us that many fallers have left a "perfect" stump but was killed in the process. There have been several falling videos posted on this site where the follow up comments were "Great job excepted you never looked up."

Yep.

Andy

Did yo get snowed off the mountain, or how come the winter off??

I recommend a PRO saw, cause homeowner saws are to heavy and gutless for anything and everything. You'll need to pay twice as much as you want to and then get it ported otherwise it'll be a dog. Oh yeah, it's gotta be made by whichever brand it was you said you weren't interested in as well, the one with the closest dealer 500 miles away

Good luck :jester:

Good morning manly men!:msp_biggrin:

You forgot to add cleaning supplies. You'll need to buy soap, wax and chamois cloth to keep it clean and shiny, a swiffer for dusting, and put special shelves up so you can properly "display" your saws after you've packed them out of the woods each day. Be sure to drain the oil and gas so they don't drip on the carpet.

Oh and touch up paint. Mustn't scratch the bar either. :D

Originally Posted by redprospector
As my dear old dad would have said. It's not the year model that counts, it's the miles on the odometer....and the fuel used to put them there.

Andy

Objection.

Back