FAE mulcher head experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towsermurphy

Reaction score
I realize that asking for opinions, particularly on this subject, is possibly opening a can of worms. I've done a lot of searching and reading older posts, but I'm not sure that many of them are directly applicable to me. Maybe they are. I posted once before about skid steer/mulcher attachments but not this specific question. I welcome real experiences and am thankful for them. But having a lot of experience with forums and the way people tend to post answers to questions that weren't asked, I humbly ask that you stay on topic.
That said, I'm considering a few different options for strictly personal use. I know most of you'all are part - full time with your machines but my use would be strictly personal. And I'm sure in comparison to most of you, it would be deemed light duty. I own a couple of farms (and always looking to buy more). Around 170 acres total. They are far from overgrown, but there are sections on them that have gotten beyond the bush hog stage. Lots of saplings, also a pretty fair amount of bigger trees up to 4-6 inches in diameter. Any hardwood 6" and above, I'm gonna throw in the stove. I'm thinking seriously about something like a used Bobcat t-300 w/hi flow and forestry package. I can certainly use a skid steer on the farm for more than a mulcher, so that's the main reason I wouldn't be looking at a dedicated forestry mulching unit. That and $. I've got a line on a used, older model FAE. The guy said the model is FML / SSL 125 -090. 1) Does that make sense? Is that a true model number, and 2) What are your experiences with this brand/model?
I realize that I could probably hire this done for MUCH cheaper than buying a skid steer/attachment. And as such, I will probably get an estimate from a company that is pretty close to me just to have as many options as possible. Another option is renting, but I don't have enough days all in one bunch to make that feasible. I'd rather not rent a unit for a week, take it back for 2 weeks, go get it again for a week, take it back, etc. These farms are family tracts, so I will be living here the rest of my life, Lord willing. So I will always have some of this kind of work to be doing. There's no time frame for getting this done, but I don't want to put off getting started much longer. Alot of the stuff to be done is fencerows and areas that I would pick and choose my mulching. I don't really have any big blocks of land that need work. More of a "surgical" rather than blanket approach, if you will. I hate to say money is no object, because it is. I'd love to stay under $50k, WAY under if possible. But I will be paying cash, so I figure I have that going for me.
I realize in this short space I'm starting to ramble. To sum up :

1) How does FAE rate as a brand of mulching head for some one in my position (personal/light duty use)?
2) Is the above-mentioned number a real FAE model number?
3)If so, is there a blanket cut-off year not to go beyond with an older model?
4) Is there a brand to definitely stay away from across the board?

Thanks a bushel!

Oops. I answered my own question on the model number. Actually looked at the FAE website. What a concept, huh? Did a search on that model # earlier and it didn't come up. The rest of the questions remain. Thanks!

Back