fair pay for 16 year old son.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't and don't pay my kids an allowance / wage / salary either, sure they get a treat now and then and helping out is a two way street because they need my help at times as well.:clap:

This is one good aspect to look at because you're setting the tone for your relationship with your kids when they're adults too.

Me and my brothers were expected to do a number of things around the farm on our own, and it was understood that there would be no money involved. My old man wouldn't even buy us our first vehicles, or gas or insurance.

Later on though, if one of us was having tough times, he was right there- quick to help us out. It didn't matter if it was money, or just him being there to back us up- I reaped the rewards of doing extra work for him when I was kid/teenager 20 times over when I became a young adult/adult.

We werre all young once. I would give him a regular allowance for doing routine things around the house. Then, when there is a big job, like painting the house or stacking a load of wood, I would give him extra and maybe some kind of incentive plan. The incentive plan can be bonus pay if he finishes early, doesn't spill a load of paint, or doesn't break any equipment that might break otherwise.

Like everyone else, I agree 100% with TreeCo. However the only way i would stray from this would be to give your son ~$20 for a cord of wood and when you get enough wood that you can sell a cord or two, sell it..... and when you get $150 a cord, get your $20 back from your son and hand your son the money from the wood sale. Watch his eyes glow as you explain that there are people willing to buy wood and pay for his time...thus starting a work ethic.

At least i think that would work..... my daughters only two, give me a call in 10 years. :D

I guess I would have to agree with the majority of the posters on this subject. I wouldnt pay him a dime for "family" wood, but if you are selling it, cut him in on the profits if he helps out.
My daughter is 11, and is a good worker when she wants to. I pay her 5 bucks a week in allowance, I feel that it is important for her to learn to budget her money and save for the things she wants. Occasionally we will treat her to something at the store, but mostly when a request is made we reply, "that is what your allowance is for"
Wood cutting is a different story. When we leave to go cut wood, we discuss if this is "family wood" or "for sale wood". If its family wood, then there is no pay involved, but if a good job is done she is treated to a burger and rootbeer float on the way home.
If its "for sale wood", we work on a sliding pay scale. The harder she works, the more she makes per hour. A mediocre job will net her sometimes as low as a dollar an hour, a good job is as high as 6 bucks an hour. There have been many times when she could load the trailer as fast as I bucked wood. When the saw ran out of fuel, she would be standing there with the 455 gased and ready to be swapped out and back to the wood I would go. The two of us loaded our 16ft trailer one time in a record of 1hour and 15minutes of all it would hold. She earned that 6 bucks an hour and a bonus.

I know some folks think I really dog my daughter out, but I know one thing. Hard work never hurt anyone.

When I was a kid we split and stacked wood as part of our chores....and we liked it!

We mowed the grass.........and we liked it!

We washed the car.......and we liked it!

Did dishes........and we liked it!

Painted the house........and we liked it!

Punishment came in the form of a belt whipping........and we liked it!

Was your father named George ?????? Cuz your dad sounds an awful lot like mine ! And my mom always told us he was gone all week cuz he stayed in our camper at the jobsite when he was doing highway construction.............. I'm thinkin now he was at your house all week ! :cheers:

When I was a kid we split and stacked wood as part of our chores....and we liked it!

We mowed the grass.........and we liked it!

We washed the car.......and we liked it!

Did dishes........and we liked it!

Painted the house........and we liked it!

Punishment came in the form of a belt whipping........and we liked it!

Now that raht thar wuz funny! :D

I've decided to pay my kids for splitting & stacking, simply because they don't have many opportunities to earn money elsewhere. They rotate the duty of keeping the firewood & kindling stocked in the house, and that is NOT paid work.

I pay peanuts, BTW. 10 bucks a cord.

Whippings are free! :D

I say it's a chore.. If you were going to pay someone else to do it then fine better to pay him. Part of the family he has to do his part to, start at him now and let him learn a good work habit. If he wroks hard and doesn't complain (to much) maybe get him something a the end of the season to show you apperciate the help. I learned a good work ethic when I was that about 14 it's helped me alot, sometimes you just got to suck it up and get it done!

With my kids, this summer it was a MUST. It was a CHORE. But, they did get a reward at the end of the summer, went to six flags great escape in Lake George.

Now, my step daughter (12) had started complaining sooooo much, so I told her that she didn't HAVE to, but don't expect anything in return, where my step son who is very willing to help will get something nice out of the deal.

Growing up on a farm kinda gives a person a different outlook on such than your wife has. My father would have given me the shirt off of his back if I needed it and asked for it but I will guaranty you one thing, if I would have told him Ill do chores when we settle upon an hourly wage for doing it I have experienced immense pain (when I came to). That same attitude was passed down to me and on down to my sons who at ages 18 and 19 gladly spend a day with me in a woods BECAUSE they have done it since they were just out of diapers. Sorry I am of no help to you with your son, I can offer advise to others reading who have boys in diapers. The time to teach them work ethic is now, because when they are teens, you can teach them nothing.

Worked for me, worked for my sons, thats all I know.

No, do not pay him for doing chores. It is part of being a family. Front him the money so he can get a job, but make sure he keeps doing his chores. And make sure he pays you back. My Dad always said I am raising a man not a boy. Being pushed in my youth has helped me greatly in live. I hate cell phones to. My wife got me one; don’t know the number or where it is. She said I should have one with all the milling/cutting I am doing – BS. A man does not need a leash.

I agree with Butch(OH) 100%. My kids are 9, 10, and 11. My kids after school sit down at the table, no TV, and do their home work. After dinner one cleans the table and sweeps, one vacuums, and the other cleans their bathroom. They do their own laundry and fold it. The help with splitting/stacking and with milling. They work hard and play hard. They also have their own snowmobiles, dirt bikes, and .22’s. There has to be a balance. One is no good with out the other.

Good luck to your family.

We made'm, we raised them, fed & clothed them! We paid for the truck ( still in my name!), pay for insurance, gas most of the time! They do pretty much whatever we ask. The way I look at it, they are only kids so long! So let them enjoy! They have the rest of their life to work! Off the soapbox....

no pay

I grew up on the farm too. Didn't get paid for anything at home. Work for the neighbors if you want money. After the chores are done of course.

D

I've decided to pay my kids for splitting & stacking, simply because they don't have many opportunities to earn money elsewhere. They rotate the duty of keeping the firewood & kindling stocked in the house, and that is NOT paid work.

I pay peanuts, BTW. 10 bucks a cord.
:D

I pay the boys(9 & 12) $1 an hour when we cut and split. Everything else they do is a chore(clean rooms, bathrooms, laundry, vacuum, dust) and they do it because they are a member of the family and we all pull our weight. Swapping chores is allowed and I will do their chores for them......for a pretty good price. I normally do some inside chores so the boys see that it is not just for girls(my wife hates doing the bathroom...especially with boys missing the toilet!). So the boys get to learn why they should hit the toilet instead of the floor. They get to use a portion of their earnings to buy whatever they want(50% spending money, 40% savings, 10% charity/church). We have watched them buy junk with their money, but when the cheapy toy fails, they learn not to buy crap. The best lessons in life are experienced and we let our kids fail so they learn how to succeed, instead of swooping in to save them whenever they get into trouble or have a problem.

If I had a nickel for every parent who blamed me for a low grade that their kid got(and trying to make me change it), I would be able to bail out the auto makers myself. They want to fix everything for their kids so they won't experience pain. These are the same kids who expect me to do whatever they want in class because they get to tell their parents what to do at home. When did parents give up the power to say "NO" to their kids? Hasn't happened at my house and I don't see it happening ever.

When I was a kid we helped on the farm and got nothing for doing it. It was expected. We would throw hay all day and watch dad pay my friends that helped while we received nothing. Didn't bother me a bit. When I was 11 and my brother was 12 dad broke his leg and was in a cast for a year. My brother and I fed 35 fatting cattle and another 40 head of regular cattle. Had to feed another 10-15 head of hogs also. Feeding the fatting cattle consisted of unloading the feed sacks and stacking in the barn. Then fedding about 750lbs of feed a night to them. Had to carry the feed through deep cow crap. We didn't have water going to the hog barn so that had to be carried in 5 gallon buckets. We had to feed every night rain sleet snow ice 0 degree weather didn't matter. We were each paid $135 for the year. The best thing it did for me was give me a new found respect for the old man. We had always helped but never had we carried the whole load. He did this every night after working 10hours at the car plant. Got to see a little of his world.

I was never paid for chores as a kid. But my parents gave me the resources to go make money. Loaned me the money to buy my first chainsaw. Let me cut wood and sell it on their property. Used their mower to cut grass and make money. When I was 15 I would load the truck up and dad would drive me to deliver the wood. The people would try and pay him. You should have seen the look on their face when he told them he was just the driver that I did the work. I say give your son every opportunity to make money with your tools. It's just a chainsaw you can buy another one if he hurts it. Let it be his own business and try not to give to much advice. He might surprise you with what he does.
Scott

+1. That's how I have been raised.

I take pride when someone tells me I am a good worker. Most of my buddies run fast and far away from hard work.

Maybe I'm old fashion... but

I believe that a 16 year can and should have chores that he/she is responsible for and doesn't need compensation for chores. If the 16 yo decides that a vehicle is their desire, then an outside job is needed.

It is a hard, curel world out there. Teaching your teenager that you have to work for something will give them self respect and good solid morals.

I grew up on a farm, so hard work was common place. Dad would help us with our insurance and gas money since we didn't have the time to get an outside job between school and the farm work. Also, we could not own a vehicle until we were 18 years old and out of high school.

Gary

I believe that a 16 year can and should have chores that he/she is responsible for and doesn't need compensation for chores. If the 16 yo decides that a vehicle is their desire, then an outside job is needed.

It is a hard, curel world out there. Teaching your teenager that you have to work for something will give them self respect and good solid morals.

Gary

I have to agree. A 16 year old should be responisble for certain chores around the house. The parent shoud be capable of deciding whether or not any compensation is appropriate (there are a lot of factors to consider here).

Unlike many of you, I grew up in town and didn't have farm chores to complete after school. I also had opportunities to work a number of different jobs before I turned 16. It was explained to me at a much younger age that if I wanted a car at 16 than I'd better start saving, now! Dad was nice enough to let me take off with the push mower and make some $$$. Easy to do when you live within walking distance of hundreds of houses. If your son doesn't have other options for income and he has a reasonable goal in mind (auto insurance, upkeep....) than why not let him make an honest buck? Does he have insurance on his cell phone? If so, pay him an hourly wage and the first time you catch him on his phone introduce it to the splitter or maul. Problem solved, lesson learned. Good luck!

My dad worked me like a F'n slave. Kids were free labor to him. He went and had 5 more with a younger woman after I was moved out. I have helped 2 of them move out and the other 3 were gone on their own before age 18. My point is, theres a limit as to what you should expect.

Chores are chores, and come as part of being a family. Extra work should be rewarded in some way. If I am hauling in 6-7 cords of wood, that is work, and should be compensated for the help. If you would have to hire someone else to do the work, then a kid should be paid as well. If a kid needs money, and has to go somewhere else to earn it, then you have to pay someone else to do his work, so there is no gain. I'd rather keep it in the family, and keep an eye on kid. Maybe its $5 for an afternoon of easy work, more for hauling wood, but there is always something of benefit when helping dad get work. I say "you breed em you feed em", whether that is food, shelter, warmth, education. When they hit 18 or out of school, then they are responsible for themselves. The idea of eating the food and feeling the warmth gives me the creeps. You dont have to "earn" those things, a parent has a obligation to provide them. A cell phone, jeep or gas, well you better find a way to pay for them.

"When I was kid".... yep it was different. But we arent in the 1800's, or even the 1970's any more. I guess we take the bad with good there.

I also got no allowance and had to be enterprising to make my money. I earned money by cutting other people's grass, snow shoveling and as a laborer in the family business. In addition, I had to pay fines for bad habits each time I was caught doing them.

I will admit though I think it is much harder for a kid today to get a job doing those tasks because with the trends of outsourcing of manufacturing labor full grown adults are resorted to do that work today to survive.

One thing I must add is it wise to give a car to a 16 year old? I was forced to use public transportation until I was a junior in college even though I had about $30K saved from working by age 16.

To me this whole subject is a little unnerving. As I have watched my daughter grow up and have friends over, I have been horrified as to how people raise their kids, and what kids expect.
I dont know about you, but as a kid I had ZERO rights. Now kids seem to have this idea that they have a RIGHT to certain things. Cell phones, as my daughter has explained to me, is a RIGHT. Designer clothes, pocket money, and to be free from any "spankings" as this is ABUSE. It floors me when she relates what her friends tell her.
Wasnt that long ago when she asked me over the dinner table if she could have me arrrested for hitting her.I said, Yep, you sure could. But then I explained that eventually I was going to get out, and whatever spanking that landed me in jail would be small potatoes compared to what I would hand out when i got home.
I have never 'hit" my daughter, but the belt comes out when I or her mother is disrespected or it appears that a lesson is not going to be learned any other way.

Latest posts

Back