FAKE STIHL 070 CHAINSAWS - This is interesting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loggers1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Believe it or not, Stihl still makes the 070 chainsaw. It is a Stihl ms 070. I just bought a new one on Ebay and I was skeptical before I bid so I did some checking. I found out that on Stihl's website under the country of Mexico, sure enough the Stihl catalog lists an ms 051, ms 070, and ms 076. They look exactly like the one I got on Ebay. you can not buy them in the US or most other countries. I have not checked all of the countries yet. I also heard there are fake saws out there that look just like the Stihl 070. Does anyone know how to spot a fake? Once I get the saw, I am going to take it apart and check the cylinder, etc.... and see if I can tell anything. Has anyone else heard about Stihl still making these saws. They must or they would not be in the catalog for Mexico. Thanks

Hopefully it's one of those well-made and durable fakes. Hate to see you get ripped off for a pos.

I would figure the "proof in the the recipe". Look for things like "Stihl" or "Mahle" being embossed on the cylinder, part numbers cast into the parts and of course it should say "Made in Mexico" on it. I hope you have got your hands on a real Stihl but there does seem to be a lot of fakes running around here recently. Good news is that it seems even the fake ones are built pretty well, so good luck either way.

Believe it or not, Stihl still makes the 070 chainsaw. It is a Stihl ms 070. I just bought a new one on Ebay and I was skeptical before I bid so I did some checking. I found out that on Stihl's website under the country of Mexico, sure enough the Stihl catalog lists an ms 051, ms 070, and ms 076. They look exactly like the one I got on Ebay. you can not buy them in the US or most other countries. I have not checked all of the countries yet. I also heard there are fake saws out there that look just like the Stihl 070. Does anyone know how to spot a fake? Once I get the saw, I am going to take it apart and check the cylinder, etc.... and see if I can tell anything. Has anyone else heard about Stihl still making these saws. They must or they would not be in the catalog for Mexico. Thanks

Stihl still makes them! (070 and the 380)
I can attest to it first hand!
From a southern Mexico dealer it is $1130(ish) for the 070 and 540 (ish) for the 380, US dollars.
They are very picky as to there export or sales.
The ones on ebay that I have seen are all fake, knock offs, copies.
If or when you buy one, notice how the box comes with the saw, the saw does not come in the box!
Shinny dogs, shinny muffler are all wrong!
Most of the parts are casted with a Stihl part # with the addition number 9 in front of those #'s. Some parts were it is difficult to add a number in castings or molds is not present in the copies. The bar is genuine Stihl, along with the chain. But that is about it.

But heck, to get a 100+ cc saw for under $450 to the door is a deal!
(That is what I paid for mine knowing it was fake.)

Sad to see some grabbing them for $450 to there door, setting up the box for a picture and claiming to be GENUINE!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree fake, just like the one i posted minus the stihl bar lol

I know some would get mad!
But If you wanted one, and grabbed the ones for $450.
You get a decent saw! A cheap way to get a 100cc+ saw if you are on a budget!

I know some would get mad!
But If you wanted one, and grabbed the ones for $450.
You get a decent saw! A cheap way to get a 100cc+ saw if you are on a budget!

Very true, it all depends on the individual and there needs. Fake or real there is a buyer.
Tried to send rep on the good info on post#6 won't let me i'll get you another day.

Last edited:
it not a guarantee that it will be a true 100cc motor in it.

All the ones I have brought in are 107cc as they have advertised.
The cylinders and pistons look as good as a NWP BB kit. Ya, castings could go for a clean up, but looks good to a novice mechanic as my self.

The 070 I have is most definately a fake as I bought it from China. Build quality from this particular manufacturer was quite poor. For those people that think they'll be able to spot a good fake? Think again, you more than likely won't.
A few months back on an Australian forum somebody started a thread about a "Genuine 070 on Australian eBay". Everybody was replying "Wow"..."Buy it"..."You won't see another one"...blah blah blah.
Anyway, some gullible individual paid from memory around USD$1100 for it. I saw this and did a quick search of the seller. What do you know? He'd sold a few "genuine" 070's prior and had another one listed the second the above mentioned unit had sold. I was going to report this seller but the next one he auctioned he did state it was made in China. Prior to that he'd mentioned Germany.

There are many different sources of 070's in China and I have no problem telling guys on AS what you can land one of these to the states for...

Around USD$270 brand new with 30" .404" Stihl labelled bar plus Stihl branded RMC chain.

Now let me list the problems...

1) Choke linkage won't stay on.
2) Filter fit is very poor.
3) Clutch slips at the slightest provocation.
4) All the allen bolt heads have been overtightened and damaged.
5) The carby is a poor rip off and adjustments don't respond very well.
6) Even tuned to it's best it is gutless but as mentioned above it does seem to be 107 odd cc.

This saw is really only good for a few spare parts for a genuine 070.

Don't take the risk buying one of these saws unless you get it dirt cheap. There are good knockoffs of some other saws but from what I've seen and heard the 070 isn't one of them.

Wayne (gmax) doesn't know this yet but when he comes to visit in a few weeks for some chainsaw fun I'm giving it to him for nothing. He may just throw it in the bin when he gets home or maybe with his expertise he can get it running properly :D

Last edited:
I would figure the "proof in the the recipe". Look for things like "Stihl" or "Mahle" being embossed on the cylinder, part numbers cast into the parts and of course it should say "Made in Mexico" on it.

Sadly all of the above makes no difference. The Chinese are even copying serial numbers and stamping them in the right spots while they're at it.

The 070 I have is most definately a fake as I bought it from China. Build quality from this particular manufacturer was quite poor. For those people that think they'll be able to spot a good fake? Think again, you more than likely won't.
A few months back on an Australian forum somebody started a thread about a "Genuine 070 on Australian eBay". Everybody was replying "Wow"..."Buy it"..."You won't see another one"...blah blah blah.
Anyway, some gullible individual paid from memory around USD$1100 for it. I saw this and did a quick search of the seller. What do you know? He'd sold a few "genuine" 070's prior and had another one listed the second the above mentioned unit had sold. I was going to report this seller but the next one he auctioned he did state it was made in China. Prior to that he'd mentioned Germany.

There are many different sources of 070's in China and I have no problem telling guys on AS what you can land one of these to the states for...

Around USD$270 brand new with 30" .404" Stihl labelled bar plus Stihl branded RMC chain.

Now let me list the problems...

1) Choke linkage won't stay on.
2) Filter fit is very poor.
3) Clutch slips at the slightest provocation.
4) All the allen bolt heads have been overtightened and damaged.
5) The carby is a poor rip off and adjustments don't respond very well.
6) Even tuned to it's best it is gutless but as mentioned above it does seem to be 107 odd cc.

This saw is really only good for a few spare parts for a genuine 070.

Don't take the risk buying one of these saws unless you get it dirt cheap. There are good knockoffs of some other saws but from what I've seen and heard the 070 isn't one of them.

Wayne (gmax) doesn't know this yet but when he comes to visit in a few weeks for some chainsaw fun I'm giving it to him for nothing. He may just throw it in the bin when he gets home or maybe with his expertise he can get it running properly :D

I have been getting lucky!
The ones I have got are still cutting strong!
Not that they are daily user or felling saws.
But they are seeing some real work as firewood buckers and stumpers.
THESE ARE CHEAP SAWS YES! I agree with that, but also keep in mind they a Chinese made!

Still, if you can use it for what is is (a cheap saw with some pull) you may be able to use it to your advantage.
Or just have a handful of spare parts.
(Compare Baileys list of after markets parts to these. crank-top end-covers-bar&chain then everything else is a freeby!!! LOL!)

I have been getting lucky!
The ones I have got are still cutting strong!
Not that they are daily user or felling saws.
But they are seeing some real work as firewood buckers and stumpers.
THESE ARE CHEAP SAWS YES! I agree with that, but also keep in mind they a Chinese made!

Still, if you can use it for what is is (a cheap saw with some pull) you may be able to use it to your advantage.
Or just have a handful of spare parts.
(Compare Baileys list of after markets parts to these. crank-top end-covers-bar&chain then everything else is a freeby!!! LOL!)

Hey I agree with you as I am getting good value out of certain Husky 365 copies. But you have to be careful as one manufacturer will be good and the other 4 crap. Your source must have been from a good factory. The ones I've seen are nasty with a capital N and just seeing a small picture on eBay doesn't guarantee you won't get one of the bad ones. The 038 copy I got was better, starts and runs really well, but is still a bit too cheaply made.

Latest posts

Back