Fall pruning of oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have several mature bur and white oaks on my property and have a tree service scheduled to come out and prune them in November. I pushed the original September date back because of fear of oak wilt on the new cuts.

While there is some dead wood in these trees, most apear to be relatively healthy. Is there any reason to be concerned about pruning oaks - or should they just be left alone? Also, how do the guys pruning after leaves fall know what is dead wood?

Thanks

If the limb has been dead for a while the bark will be cracking and peeling. It is much easier to spot dead when leaves haven't fell. They will just have to look harder and may miss some fresh dead, although you could still have leaves in Nov. especially if you haven't had hard winds and your trees are sheltered by other trees , buildings , etc..
You can prune trees to get the shape you want. It is best to do it when they are dormant and not to do very much at once. Makes it easier for them to heal fast, less likely for insects to get in Etc.. Remember limbs getting shaded out will slowly die . If you want to save that limb you'll need to sacrifice the growth shading it or get rid of it if the limbs shading it are desireable. The dominate limb would be my choice to keep if it is desireable to the tree's shape.

Latest posts

Back