Fallers Perspective on Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well maybe I should consider that, cuz 150psi at sea level is like 132psi here.

I know that Stihls last a while. But I have heard the 660 is a turd, and my dealer only has one, and its only 100 bucks less that the 661.
But, I am not sold on the 661's fuel and air system longevity. I think it will take a dump, personally. That is why I am considering the 390 (don't want a 395). Dunno, maybe I should consider the 660, but I gotta buy a wrap handle for it.

Send the 660 to TreeSlingr. He knows how to make them run like they're supposed to.
Weber Custom makes a great full wrap for that saw.

Open up the exhaust on any stihl and they come alive. Never mind major surgery, just open the exhaust up.

really though I pass over the 066 I have for the 461's all the time, I regularly cut 30-36" Fir, Hemlock and Cedar, with a 32" bar skip full chisel and square grind.

Unless I know I'm in 36" or better wood all day, I grab the 461

And think about it the 461 has 2 years of full time cutting and its just now starting feel like its slowing down... A husky would have been trash 6 months ago.

Though I do want a 661... and it should probably have a big hole bored in the exhaust as well...

Well maybe I should consider that, cuz 150psi at sea level is like 132psi here.

I know that Stihls last a while. But I have heard the 660 is a turd, and my dealer only has one, and its only 100 bucks less that the 661.
But, I am not sold on the 661's fuel and air system longevity. I think it will take a dump, personally. That is why I am considering the 390 (don't want a 395). Dunno, maybe I should consider the 660, but I gotta buy a wrap handle for it.
150 seems kind of low....i am at sea level or close, all my saws are 170 to 220.. the 660 needs porting imo, after that it is a good big saw. i am with northy though, i will grab the 461 for 32 and under.
remember folks, the 461 is 77cc, 390 is 88 i think. not the same size class.

The only thing that makes me nervous about the 661 is the carb. Seems like voodoo witchcraft to me. I want something I can set after I open that sumbitch up. I don't run anything but ported. I do it myself. The extra 3-4 hours it takes me to port and muff mod a saw makes me another 50-100 dollars more every day. That compression bump is huge. You gotta make sure there is room tho.

I have ran 660s forever and in December I bought a 661. I have no complaints at all. I had to have it recalibrated once and that's the only issue I've had. It's kinda nice when it's -21 and it starts on the second pull every time. I don't find that the 660 or 066 really vibrate that bad but the 661 make them seem a rattly as an old shovelhead. Kind of a dibble edged sword. Much smoother in the cut but it can sometimes fool you and you've got more cut than you thought. I don't think you can feel the tree and what it's doing as much with a 661 compared to a 660. We can squeeze 3 years out of a 660 before they are beat. Well see how the 661 holds up. O yea and the air box setup is was better on the 661. The filter doesn't get packed tight with chips and it knocks out very clean easily since they revamped how it seals against the back. Ok im done rambling.

Is the tree mileage (fuel) really better than the 660 like they advertise? My guess is it would be.

661 is basically a overbuilt 390 with Autotune. Spring AV, short stroke, maybe a little wider. I would own one, but my max saw budget is about a third of the 661 price:(

I thought he was just another woodtick.

Eh, I'm just a guy who gets to play with this, and a chainsaw all day.

3d6aafd48707f646e70ad3c566485cee.jpg

Gypo Logger ; hi^^^

To me its not, its who you are,do what you will when you will.Your saw don't mean $hit.beat me in the wedge but 'you' will be caught up in the buck everytime. The only time I have evèr 'been harassed' from Bullbuckers was to say "get a heavier saw.. you scare me whith that thing" *fact*

My biggest complaint about the 066-660's is they're a little awkward for limbing, they do good falling and bucking but kinda clunky for limbing.
i agree and heavy with a 36. i don't usually limb when i fall though. not the big stuff any way, if i did i'd be out of fuel in two trees lol.

Latest posts

Back