Fallers Perspective on Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnmc98

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey, wanted to post this and pick your guys brains a little cause I don't know much about the newer Huskys.

Not really a brand name guy, just a run what ya brung.

Here's what I got going on. I have run the 46 class Stihls mostly, and have always been fairly content.
My 461 has a little over 2 years on it and is a little beat, kind of slowing down too.
That has been my main saw. I do have a 288xp that I got as a back up and for bigger stuff. And a smaller limber.

We just took a look at our new contract, and the wood gets progressively bigger. A lot of 28" to 36" fir and a number over that. And a butt load of it.

I have my eye on a 661, saw one at the dealer here, very sexy looking and feels nice. However, I am concerned about a couple of things. One, I had a 441 mtronic before and got rid of it for bog issues, and seemed to always hunt for the right setting. Also concerned about the air filter set up, I felt like I was gonna break the stud on it just taking it off in the store. Also a big portion of the wrap side of the handle is plastic, doesn't seem real durable (I have broken them before on my 461).

Anyone running one????

I know it will pull what I want for a bar and chain. 30's and 32's.

Bla bla bla... On to my question...
Anyone run 390's.
I am wondering how they compare to my 288. It has a mm and a k&n. was recently rebuilt.
But, I have fallen in love with the square semi skip chains I am using now, and with a 30" bar I am feeling it doesn't quite have all the oompf I want. And at 16.8 lbs power head, the stihl has 7.2hp vs the 6hp advertised for the 288 (and my tree mileage sucks).

How are the 390's? I have heard several issues with screws falling out. Do they hold up in the long run?
At 6.5 horse, can I get more out of it if I mm? I also heard they aren't making the wrap version anymore?

Here's the last bit of info and probably the most important for if the 390 will cut the mustard. I work at 5500-6500ft and that takes 16% power off the top of any saw, which is what I am fighting. I am wondering if it would be enough steam.

Any info would help as I am a starving logger and don't want to just kiss $1200 away.

no modern saw is gonna suit you as stock......thats what i ran into except for the 461, i like that one. i am skeptical of the m tronic saws and there is a bog thread on chainsaw right now about the 661. i don't like spring mounts either but thats my preference.
i believe a 390 will need modded to run with a 288. bitzer runs them, he will be by shortly to rebut my observation. i like a ported 660 for 36, the 461 handles a 32 ok imo.

oh on the stihl handles, get a weber, you'll like it and you won't break it.

no modern saw is gonna suit you as stock......thats what i ran into except for the 461, i like that one. i am skeptical of the m tronic saws and there is a bog thread on chainsaw right now about the 661. i don't like spring mounts either but thats my preference.
i believe a 390 will need modded to run with a 288. bitzer runs them, he will be by shortly to rebut my observation. i like a ported 660 for 36, the 461 handles a 32 ok imo.

oh on the stihl handles, get a weber, you'll like it and you won't break it.
390 is a better version of the 288 Mike. Just don't sound near as good.

390/385 is a good dependable saw now. We use them because of good dealer support.

I like the mounts
If they rattle apart its because of how its run. We have one guy who has a little trouble with screws, but he is a revver. No one else has problems.

They seem to last about a year

stock? i'll never believe that bro. plus springy mounts........i'd rather have a 281 lol. i guess i am biased and i do realize not every saw is a good one. i think i got the biggest lemon 385 ever made, i was happy when it busted so i could give it away.
Yeah pretty well even. The 288 seems to have a touch more torque with the longer stroke. A 181/281 is a fine saw and I don't know that the 288 is really better.

The 390... The best faller's chainsaw ever made? I'm mostly in 24-36" eastern hardwoods and she handles 32" like a dream. I had a 288, and it's basically the direct and improved replacement for it. I would kill to have a good husky dealer nearby. I'm running a 461 right now and even stock a 390 will hand it it's butt. Open the muffler and do the saw a favor if you buy one though.

390/385 is a good dependable saw now. We use them because of good dealer support.

They seem to last about a year

I really don't have a good husky dealer here, just name brand stores that sell them in bulk.

About a year huh? Is that WOT 6-8hrs a day?

I get a year out of my 390s. Usually everything but the p&c is worn out. I've had three of em now. The dealer is 5 min down the road. Thats a pretty hard 5-6 hour day every day. They are built for torque. You can tell by the port shapes between them and stihls. Great for hoggin as yer chasin. I have three ports in my muffler. They like to breathe. I also use a gasket sealer on the base. That will bump yer compression into the 170 range. I also do some port work on the jug, but the gasket and open muff will make a huge dif from stock. I've had some electrical issues with some as well as the intake boot tearing. You can get wrap handles from the factory. Otherwise its a dam good saw in my opinion. It will run with any ported 90cc out there. You can get a powerhead for around 900 or so which is nice. I take care of mine, but I run it hard. I cut a lot of hardwood in the 3ft range and it will run a 32 in it no problem. I run full skip with 7 or 8 pin depending on the wood I'm in.

So I am hearing two differing opinions on how the 390 stacks up to a 288. That's the deal breaker, If a 390 puts down the same #'s as a 288, I will want more cubes.

Bitzer, thanks for posting your experiences. I cringe at having to tear apart a new saw to get what I want. I don't mind opening up a muffler though.

So I am only a faller when I'm drunk, but I own both a 385 and a 288. Both are ported, but the 385 does everything the 288 does, but a little stronger, and much, much smoother and "tighter". Unfortunately more husky cubes is 394/395, which is a whole different animal size wise.

The 288 sure sounds faster (it also has 230psi compression to the 385's 185psi), but the 385 gets thru faster. As Bitz and Cat said, the huskies need a muffler mod, and really like a base gasket delete. Mike must have had a dud, as my muffler modded, gasketless 385 would eat a 460's lunch

The 390... The best faller's chainsaw ever made? I'm mostly in 24-36" eastern hardwoods and she handles 32" like a dream. I had a 288, and it's basically the direct and improved replacement for it. I would kill to have a good husky dealer nearby. I'm running a 461 right now and even stock a 390 will hand it it's butt. Open the muffler and do the saw a favor if you buy one though.
Cat buster, you need to lose your avatar. You look like a tree trimmer. Lol

So I am hearing two differing opinions on how the 390 stacks up to a 288. That's the deal breaker, If a 390 puts down the same #'s as a 288, I will want more cubes.

Bitzer, thanks for posting your experiences. I cringe at having to tear apart a new saw to get what I want. I don't mind opening up a muffler though.
Man you gotta lose the gasket on any saw! The bump in compression is huge. That being said on 390s I'm going to buy a 660 next time around just to give it a shot.

Man you gotta lose the gasket on any saw! The bump in compression is huge. That being said on 390s I'm going to buy a 660 next time around just to give it a shot.
You'll have to port that 660 something good. 661 is a winner, but you'll have a hard time moving from a ported 390 to a 660. I'll bet it'll last better, tho

Well maybe I should consider that, cuz 150psi at sea level is like 132psi here.

I know that Stihls last a while. But I have heard the 660 is a turd, and my dealer only has one, and its only 100 bucks less that the 661.
But, I am not sold on the 661's fuel and air system longevity. I think it will take a dump, personally. That is why I am considering the 390 (don't want a 395). Dunno, maybe I should consider the 660, but I gotta buy a wrap handle for it.

Latest posts

Back