Fallers Perspective on Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know I was thinking about the whole time thing. I layed out and topped a couple dozen trees this past week instead of buckin and pulpin em. The hill was too steep there to get the forwarder down so I dragged em up. It seems the saw would have a lot easier life just layin out and topping. I really don't think the quality between brands is that different. The same companies make the p&c, carbs, coils, maybe other parts. The only thing plastic on the huskies that is not on stihls is the recoil and I've never had a problem there. I'm really curious now. I may have to buy a 661 just to see what kind of time I can get out of it.

Nice lookin saw tho! I flipped one around the other day at a hardware store. I liked how it felt.

I've broken quite a few mounts on the 441's but these look and feel tougher and stiffer.

I try not to limb in the field as we do a lot of clean up and like things to not look quite so much like a war zone when we are done. I also do a lot of SMZ cutting and have to watch the ground cover there too. Private land owners get a little more respect than the FS. The FS allows certain tonnage on the ground and they can keep it. But we get more work the nicer we keep things looking on the private. It has opened up a lot of doors. Especially with the ones that have been burned by loggers before.

Ya know I was thinking about the whole time thing. I layed out and topped a couple dozen trees this past week instead of buckin and pulpin em. The hill was too steep there to get the forwarder down so I dragged em up. It seems the saw would have a lot easier life just layin out and topping. I really don't think the quality between brands is that different. The same companies make the p&c, carbs, coils, maybe other parts. The only thing plastic on the huskies that is not on stihls is the recoil and I've never had a problem there. I'm really curious now. I may have to buy a 661 just to see what kind of time I can get out of it.

Nice lookin saw tho! I flipped one around the other day at a hardware store. I liked how it felt.

I run both brands but I have never run a newer husky. I just think I wanted the extra oomph without tearing a saw apart right away (660 or 390). So, we'll see what happens, I might be pleasantly surprised.
Yeah they kind of resemble a Ferrari compared to what I run normally.

Spent the morning topping, bucking, and skidding the mother of all water oaks. Used the 288, as it's about the smallest saw I own which isn't in pieces. The oak was a flood victim and was tangled with a holly it crushed on the way down. It was kinda a mess, and I wound up boring many of the bucking cuts as I was having a hard time reading the tension. That being said, with a 28" bar, that saw is surprisingly nimble for 88cc's. I'm also old enough to be Colton's grand-pappy, Bitzer's dad, and Handsome Mike's older brother, so my back will not be happy tomorrow.

I've never experienced any trouble with the spring motor mounts on the husky saws. They have broken if I yanked on a pinch to hard, or tried to used the saw as a pry bar.
Definitely like the spring mounts better than the older rubber ones. Much easier to change and easier on the hands.

I never had any trouble with them myself. The boss how ever is a terror on mounts. To much office time.

That's rite Bnmc98, but hey he buys the saws and covers repairs he can tear his own saw up if he wants.

Back