Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I trust this thread will go right back on topic, I just want to ask if they're is a little smiley guy that goes wink wink, or some other way to denote absolute sarcasm so that when this wonderful tool is used it is not misinterpreted.

And while I'm off topic, I know that Billy is the Bard. Stratford on Avon. Wife's a renaissance lit fanatic.

Since I trust this thread will go right back on topic, I just want to ask if they're is a little smiley guy that goes wink wink, or some other way to denote absolute sarcasm so that when this wonderful tool is used it is not misinterpreted.

And while I'm off topic, I know that Billy is the Bard. Stratford on Avon. Wife's a renaissance lit fanatic.

What's the elevation you cut at normally?

the river is at about 700', the creeks up in the hollers are about 900', and the ridgetops are somewhere between 2400' and 2800'. Give er take here and there of course. We're cutting from the creeks to the ridgetops, depending on the unit.

the river is at about 700', the creeks up in the hollers are about 900', and the ridgetops are somewhere between 2400' and 2800'. Give er take here and there of course. We're cutting from the creeks to the ridgetops, depending on the unit.

You're dang lucky your cuttin right now, I haven't worked in a month. You guys get to clearcut too. :cry:

You're dang lucky your cuttin right now, I haven't worked in a month. You guys get to clearcut too. :cry:

Where are you at again? ny?

I could likely work over x mas break but im not gonna. It seems easy to be a logger in wv & va still as long as you know some people.. If you like clear cuts, you would enjoy Gypsy moth tracts..

hey tarzan, nice pics. montana is pretty.

do you get into any beetle killed pine stuff?

Have not worked in any of the recent stuff in Montana (other than residential stuff). Worst I ever worked in was in a little area in Central Idaho. Little place called Featherville. I was working for Columbia, and we were chasing beetle killed fir everywhere! Worst I have ever seen. Nice looking stump, and holding/hinge wood in that pic!

I correct my earlier statement. I grew up in the wrong PARTS of the country! To tied down with family and kids now to be pullin up. This thread sure makes me wanna get into some big timber tho!

Beautiful pics everyone! I wish I could get into some timber falling for real around here. Theres some selective hardwoods felling for veneers and such around here but with the economy and the type of land management wanted(minor impact and very selective cuttings) along with distance between viable jobs, I am sure it would be hard pressed to make a livin on it right now.

BTW we've got some white on the ground today with another foot comin tomorrow. My chains don't like cuttin snow skidded logs, but the fresh blanket sure makes the woods look purdy!

I correct my earlier statement. I grew up in the wrong PARTS of the country! To tied down with family and kids now to be pullin up. This thread sure makes me wanna get into some big timber tho!

Beautiful pics everyone! I wish I could get into some timber falling for real around here. Theres some selective hardwoods felling for veneers and such around here but with the economy and the type of land management wanted(minor impact and very selective cuttings) along with distance between viable jobs, I am sure it would be hard pressed to make a livin on it right now.

BTW we've got some white on the ground today with another foot comin tomorrow. My chains don't like cuttin snow skidded logs, but the fresh blanket sure makes the woods look purdy!

That's good you're such a family man. Me though, I would move out West in a heartbeat if or when I get the chance. :rolleyes:

Burvol

Here's a falling picture for ya. My Dad, Oregon Coast May of 1980. 27-28 years old.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my biggest and one of my guys on springboards bringing down a "fun one"! In case your wondering what the smaller cedar is doing in the picture, it was blown in to it and had to come at the same time. Kind of ruined the picture!

Last edited:
Agreed! That's a great pic. Should blow it up, frame it and hang it on the wall.

It is rightfully so, in my office on the wall. I'm with a 7 footer in another picture next to him, junior settles for second place...LOL

That is a picture of a picture. The one I have is really clear and sweet. I have another one of my Dad and uncle cutting 300 ft tall Fir up on the WA Pinansula. 4-7 on the butt.

It is rightfully so, in my office on the wall. I'm with a 7 footer in another picture next to him, junior settles for second place...LOL

That is a picture of a picture. The one I have is really clear and sweet. I have another one of my Dad and uncle cutting 300 ft tall Fir up on the WA Pinansula. 4-7 on the butt.

300 ft tall Fir. I can only dream of that now! We still get Fir patches around 200 ft, but not 300. Get the odd nice spruce patch still too. There's one area that we may be going into, I doubt it will happen, but the ribbons are hanging anyway! The engineers say the timber is like logging in the 60's! Makes me almost start drooling!

Here's a pic of my biggest and one of my guys on springboards bringing down a "fun one"! In case your wondering what the smaller cedar is doing in the picture, it was blown in to it and had to come at the same time. Kind of ruined the picture!

are you/were you with sibola mountain falling?

Latest posts

Back