Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put rubbing alcohol on the skin exposed to poison oak. It dissolves the oils.

I suppose one could just drink a pint of whiskey then you wouldn't care until the next morning.

I tried every home remedy recommended to me, from homemade manzanita leaf tea, to bleach, salt and baking powder mixtures, and nothing really seemed to help. Only thing that seemed to help was a good scrubbing with luke warm water (not hot water) and Fels Naptha as soon as I got home; clean clothes every day; My Hickory buttoned tight around my neck to keep chips from going down my shirt, and wearing a George Jetson hat (the goofy looking ones with the screen and the muffs). The screen on the hat kept the chips from hitting my face, and best of all, the muffs kept me from getting poison oak inside my ears from my ear plugs...that used to drive me banana's. Still though, all of that would only minimize my reaction, as all I have to do is look at the stuff and I start itching. When it would get so bad that I could not sleep at night I would go to the doc and get some Prednisone, and that stuff had some wonderful side effects too! It seemed to me that the guys that grew up around it, did not get it as bad? I Definitely do not miss working around poison oak!

I did not grow up around it. I'm allergic to a lot of stuff. But I've pitched a tent (unknowingly) on poison oak, poked myself in the eye, grabbed it, dropped equipment in it, and never had any problems. I used that Techno stuff just in case, when I found out it was available.

Because of that, when we were doing reforestation plots in plantations, I'd go do the plots in the poison oak.

Now tanoak, that really bothers me. It is itchy stuff. But washes off. Maybe the whiskey treatment would soothe the itchy throat?:)

Well, I'll see if the Barbie Saw starts. I have willow tree slash to burn. Brrrrrr. It is a frosty wonderland outdoors.

I did not grow up around it. I'm allergic to a lot of stuff. But I've pitched a tent (unknowingly) on poison oak, poked myself in the eye, grabbed it, dropped equipment in it, and never had any problems. I used that Techno stuff just in case, when I found out it was available.

Because of that, when we were doing reforestation plots in plantations, I'd go do the plots in the poison oak.

Now tanoak, that really bothers me. It is itchy stuff. But washes off. Maybe the whiskey treatment would soothe the itchy throat?:)

Well, I'll see if the Barbie Saw starts. I have willow tree slash to burn. Brrrrrr. It is a frosty wonderland outdoors.

So are you gonna go get wiskey drunk and burn? That's a PNW winter past time, LOL

I am sensitive to poison Ivy , Had to get shots for a few cases as a kid, cause I couldn't be kept out of the woods.
I learned a long time ago to take bleach and dab it on the blisters as soon as they appear.
It causes a slight chemical burn, but it will not itch anymore than a normal scratch that scabs up.

Day wage and hourly is all I can find here, it's all there is. You might get lucky and do one by the ton now and then, but guys make too much money busheling, as the loggers now say. I feel fortunate to be home every night. I probably make less money than other places, but I love the job, love my sweetheart, and like to be home. Plus, I can't do any better around here. Our economy sucks. The other option is to go make 12-16 an hour for a contract builder or whatever, and be someone's boy all day. Screw that. I'll take what I can get in the woods and try to protect my money. I absolutly love the job, period. I do make decent money at times, but right now I took a reduced wage to work this winter, we all did. No complaints here.

What does your wife think about going north?

She has said that she is up for it, but she has never lived a logging lifestyle, as we got married in '08 after I moved back here from Alaska in '06 and gave up Falling Timber. I gave it up because I went through a divorce up there and wanted joint custody of my two kids, and could not really be a single Dad and a Tramp Timber Faller bouncing around Southeast Alaska Logging camps, as most of them don't have accommodations for families. Glad I did it now...I had them for a year in '07, and we have them with us this year (they spend every other year with us). The other dynamic is My 17 year old Daughter is a Senior in high school, and would NEVER go live in a logging camp. My other Daughter just turned 12 and I have two younger boys (wife and I each had two kids when we got married), and the three younger kids are all into sports, so I am definitely seeing where we need to provide as much stability as possible for them. So I guess what I have learned is it is really hard to be a good Timber Faller, and a good Family Man at the same time. Any guy who is in a situation to do both well should count himself as fortunate. Besides, with my tree business I still get to dump some trees every now and again, and usually there is a LOT more adrenaline involved, and some good money too. I have gotten to be a hero and rescue a poor kitten up a tree, and next week I will be working for a local wildlife refuge, where I will top a dead pine tree and install an osprey nest. Here are some Pics of a few of my Jobs:

Cat rescue (cat is in the bag!):

09271731a.jpg

I still get to bust out my 088 once in a while! Also get to break out my Tree Jacks on occasion. There was some serious adrenaline involved in this tree as about 10 feet behind it sat an old restored school house.

09091112.jpg

This tree was hanging over the house, so I had to rig tops, and chunks and swing them away, and lower them:

P1250740.jpg

A dead Pine that was right next to a house:

treeremoval016.jpg

I just did this job a few weeks ago. one of the tops was hanging over the house, so I had to rig limbs and tops.

P1260503.jpg

P1260541.jpg

P1260522.jpg

P1260561.jpg

As you can see I do have fun.

She has said that she is up for it, but she has never lived a logging lifestyle, as we got married in '08 after I moved back here from Alaska in '06 and gave up Falling Timber. I gave it up because I went through a divorce up there and wanted joint custody of my two kids, and could not really be a single Dad and a Tramp Timber Faller bouncing around Southeast Alaska Logging camps, as most of them don't have accommodations for families. Glad I did it now...I had them for a year in '07, and we have them with us this year (they spend every other year with us). The other dynamic is My 17 year old Daughter is a Senior in high school, and would NEVER go live in a logging camp. My other Daughter just turned 12 and I have two younger boys (wife and I each had two kids when we got married), and the three younger kids are all into sports, so I am definitely seeing where we need to provide as much stability as possible for them. So I guess what I have learned is it is really hard to be a good Timber Faller, and a good Family Man at the same time. Any guy who is in a situation to do both well should count himself as fortunate. Besides, with my tree business I still get to dump some trees every now and again, and usually there is a LOT more adrenaline involved, and some good money too. I have gotten to be a hero and rescue a poor kitten up a tree, and next week I will be working for a local wildlife refuge, where I will top a dead pine tree and install an osprey nest. Here are some Pics of a few of my Jobs:

Cat rescue (cat is in the bag!):

09271731a.jpg

I still get to bust out my 088 once in a while! Also get to break out my Tree Jacks on occasion. There was some serious adrenaline involved in this tree as about 10 feet behind it sat an old restored school house.

09091112.jpg

This tree was hanging over the house, so I had to rig tops, and chunks and swing them away, and lower them:

P1250740.jpg

A dead Pine that was right next to a house:

treeremoval016.jpg

I just did this job a few weeks ago. one of the tops was hanging over the house, so I had to rig limbs and tops.

P1260503.jpg

P1260541.jpg

P1260522.jpg

As you can see I do have fun.

Cool pics Cody, got a pic of you w/ the 088 up in a tree? :greenchainsaw: Just kinding

So are you gonna go get wiskey drunk and burn? That's a PNW winter past time, LOL

We do it beer drinkin' and hot dogs. Sometimes Yukon is passed around. But I'm doing my own and friends are up skiing...which is not very good right now. So I got it going, my face feels hot, and I am doing lunch. A beer sounds tempting though. The lawn chair is in position for PNW style though.
I believe it already had a few melt spots on it. I'll do a full report with pictures later.

I like those tree pictures! More please. Things are boring around here.

I tried every home remedy recommended to me, from homemade manzanita leaf tea, to bleach, salt and baking powder mixtures, and nothing really seemed to help. Only thing that seemed to help was a good scrubbing with luke warm water (not hot water) and Fels Naptha as soon as I got home; clean clothes every day; My Hickory buttoned tight around my neck to keep chips from going down my shirt, and wearing a George Jetson hat (the goofy looking ones with the screen and the muffs). The screen on the hat kept the chips from hitting my face, and best of all, the muffs kept me from getting poison oak inside my ears from my ear plugs...that used to drive me banana's. Still though, all of that would only minimize my reaction, as all I have to do is look at the stuff and I start itching. When it would get so bad that I could not sleep at night I would go to the doc and get some Prednisone, and that stuff had some wonderful side effects too! It seemed to me that the guys that grew up around it, did not get it as bad? I Definitely do not miss working around poison oak!

I'm pretty allergic to poison ivy more so than poison oak. What I've found to work the best is the products from Tecnu. Their scrub seems to work the best. If I know I've been cutting in Poison oak or ivy, I'll wash with their scrub and it will often times prevent me from getting rashed. They claim you can even wash as late as 8 hours after coming in contact.

Last edited:
I like those pictures Cody. I will speak no more of it, I understand completly. I also commend you for being a family man. Montana is a very pretty state as well.

my dad grew up in CA being very allergic to it. it sent him to the hospital on 2 occasions. He still gets it just from lookin at it it seems.

I used to get the east coast stuff real bad, but in the last year, or at least last summer, I never had a breakout which I thought was strange cause I had been all around it.
Poison ivy still messes me up pretty good though.

Nothing like a hot shower with the water getting hotter & hotter pointed on the rash,mmmmmm. It seems to get rid of it by drying it out if you rub it while applying the hot ass water, or at least it deadens the itchy agony...

I like those pictures Cody. I will speak no more of it, I understand completly. I also commend you for being a family man. Montana is a very pretty state as well.

Hey, who knows man...I might get a wild hair and call you up looking for a job there sometime! When I see you posting those pics of falling nice timber it makes me feel a little nostalgic, and I want to fall timber again. I probably just have too much time on my hands right now, and am wishing I was out there killin trees with ya. Anyhow I was flattered that you thought that I should be Falling Timber somewhere :) By the way, you guys must be cutting some nice stuff, cuz when I talked to Steve, he was wanting to know if I would ever be willing sell my tree jacks. They are setting in my saw shop all lonely, just itchin to have some glory! Hopefully I can give them some glory sometime :)

I'm pretty allergic to poison ivy more so than poison oak. What I've found to work the best is the products from Tecnu. Their scrub seems to work the best. If I know I've been cutting in Poison oak or ivy, I'll wash with their scrub and it will often times prevent me from getting rashed. They claim you can even wash as late as 8 hours after coming in contact.

You know I tried that stuff and it didn't seem to work any better for me than fels naptha, but whatever works :) I remember the Ivy block made me feel like I was trying to bushel while wearing a rubber suit! I hated that stuff.

Everyone has their own story, none better, none worse, just different. May everyones present, and future, kick complete ass.

My best friend (from whom the "brother" thing comes awfully familiar) told me once he looks forward to the day when we'd be sitting in our rockers on the porch over a pipe telling our stories. I said hey bud, we gotta keep makin those stories. We did a pretty good job of it, and I dont think either of us have quit makin them yet.

As much as we can, living for the moment.

Everyone has their own story, none better, none worse, just different. May everyones present, and future, kick complete ass.

My best friend (from whom the "brother" thing comes awfully familiar) told me once he looks forward to the day when we'd be sitting in our rockers on the porch over a pipe telling our stories. I said hey bud, we gotta keep makin those stories. We did a pretty good job of it, and I dont think either of us have quit makin them yet.

As much as we can, living for the moment.

Good post, and NOVA i think?

Hey, who knows man...I might get a wild hair and call you up looking for a job there sometime! When I see you posting those pics of falling nice timber it makes me feel a little nostalgic, and I want to fall timber again. I probably just have too much time on my hands right now, and am wishing I was out there killin trees with ya. Anyhow I was flattered that you thought that I should be Falling Timber somewhere :) By the way, you guys must be cutting some nice stuff, cuz when I talked to Steve, he was wanting to know if I would ever be willing sell my tree jacks. They are setting in my saw shop all lonely, just itchin to have some glory! Hopefully I can give them some glory sometime :)

Yes, it is all juice wood on the one side. Really tall, beautiful Doug Fir. My Dad and I share a set of jacks that are down. I sent them with the logger's mechanic to get looked at. There are a lot of RMZ's and no entry points, so jacks would be great. It's too big of wood to beat all day contrary in those spots.

Great thread with a lot of great pics Jesse
Weird on the poison oak deal my brother wont cross the Orygon boarder he gets it so bad hes had his eyes swollen shut without even goin in the woods staying indoors at all times when he was younger. I on the other hand have literally rolled in the stuff and never got more than a couple little bumps go figure. Looking glass area for those that really know Oregon
On a side note saw a brand spankin new 056MagII sold at my saw shop today $999 with 32" bar and chain sure was purdy.

there is a Chief Lookingglass fish hatchery on the Grande Ronde River in NE OR.

I bet you talking the west side one.

Back