Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm gonna be heading out looking for saw work after x-mas. I'll probably head down south to Gold Beach or Montague.

I cut logs out of Gold Beach last October for a few weeks. It's really weird looking out and seeing a flock of turkeys feeding on a ledge overlooking the pacific ocean. :dizzy:

Here's a random thought anyone ever been to Willits?

Willits CA? If that is where you are talking about, I spent 5 days in the hospital there when I busted my leg Falling Timber on a CDF State Job Between there and Fort Bragg...I will never Forget that place. Being in the hospital with a busted leg and covered with poisen oak:cry:

Last edited:
Here's a random thought anyone ever been to Willits?

I think I've been through there. I worked up the Klamath River for a few years and went on a road trip once that way. It was raining hard and nothing could be seen.

The Klamath area is poison oak and tan oak city. Tan oak puts out a pollen all during the dry season that you breathe in and gets all over and inside your clothes and itches. Makes your throat raw. I do not miss that at all.

The poison oak was over my head, but somebody will probably point out that I am short. :)

I'm one of the lucky ones who got sent into it because I'm not very sensitive to poison oak. :cry:

Thanks Bob, it has been a fun job. I scaled the last two just for fun yesterday and both were around 3,500. Not huge, but darn nice wood for a Friday, especially in this day and age. I always tease Steve and My Dad that I cut all hammers since they "squeezed the juice" so hard around here 20-30 years ago, LOL. Steve and I raced for the one I cut :)

That's the way to do it...might as well have some fun with the job when you can. Makes the day go by quicker.

I think I'm done 'til after the first of the year...maybe longer. We finally put the hat on the burn salvage and there's a couple of cold wet storms headed in. I'm ready to put my feet by the fire for awhile. :)

It does make the day go by quicker. I hope you enjoy your time off Bob. I always tell people that the winter is the time when a guy can sleep past 6-7 and not feel quilty, weekends and all. Our sturgeon season opens Jan 1, so I always spend a month or two by my 12 foot rod on the Columbia with a fire and my guitar with a bunch of buddies that are laid off too. We comiserate and enjoy it. The trick is not to be a broke ass, then it's all good!

Put rubbing alcohol on the skin exposed to poison oak. It dissolves the oils.

I suppose one could just drink a pint of whiskey then you wouldn't care until the next morning.

Put rubbing alcohol on the skin exposed to poison oak. It dissolves the oils.

I suppose one could just drink a pint of whiskey then you wouldn't care until the next morning.

Hey...that's what I used to do... X2!!! :greenchainsaw:

If you ever want to make a comeback, I can see what I can do around here for the future.

Thanks Man, I appreciate it! Might have to take ya up on that sometime :) I kinda like what I am doing now (especially the tree climbing part; I love that!), other than the slow times like right now. It would be nice if there were some falling jobs left around here so a guy could be home every night, but those days are long gone, and I can't leave my wife at home with our 4 kids to go tramping around. It is tempting sometimes to go back to Falling timber full time though. My Brother-in-Law is on Afohgnak Island in Alaska, working on a big job that is supposed to last around 10 years. One of the rare camps where a guy can have his family with him. It has been very tempting to pull up stakes and go there. Worst thing about that job is the day-wage, but the hunting and fishing would make up for that!

Thanks Man, I appreciate it! Might have to take ya up on that sometime :) I kinda like what I am doing now (especially the tree climbing part; I love that!), other than the slow times like right now. It would be nice if there were some falling jobs left around here so a guy could be home every night, but those days are long gone, and I can't leave my wife at home with our 4 kids to go tramping around. It is tempting sometimes to go back to Falling timber full time though. My Brother-in-Law is on Afohgnak Island in Alaska, working on a big job that is supposed to last around 10 years. One of the rare camps where a guy can have his family with him. It has been very tempting to pull up stakes and go there. Worst thing about that job is the day-wage, but the hunting and fishing would make up for that!

Day wage and hourly is all I can find here, it's all there is. You might get lucky and do one by the ton now and then, but guys make too much money busheling, as the loggers now say. I feel fortunate to be home every night. I probably make less money than other places, but I love the job, love my sweetheart, and like to be home. Plus, I can't do any better around here. Our economy sucks. The other option is to go make 12-16 an hour for a contract builder or whatever, and be someone's boy all day. Screw that. I'll take what I can get in the woods and try to protect my money. I absolutly love the job, period. I do make decent money at times, but right now I took a reduced wage to work this winter, we all did. No complaints here.

What does your wife think about going north?

Latest posts

Back