Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greenwedge, Big 10-4 on the work thing. I feel the same way. We just got done with our pole job and are finally back in a normal strip. One of the cutters who used to rig came and worked with us for a couple weeks. Man that guy knows his stuff about rigging. Wish I could have worked with him for a couple months just to try an learn a some of the tricks he knows.

Was it Griff? That dude is a double handy son of a gun.

This is flipping cool! Will you do me a favor and explain this whole outfit to me? I have never heard of a pettibone yarder and am excited to add to the knowledge bank......its pretty empty!

I only know some and only what I was told. Gologit may know more, I'm pretty sure he has seen this same thing.

The last time I saw it, 1977, there was two old NorthWest loaders stranded there, yes, both has eyes painted on the boom. The yarder had a six cylinder engine, with the cylinders cast separate, it was intact, but whorowitz probably sold it for scrap. I send an e-mail to Woody Murphy, with any luck...
I may have it wrong, the Pettibone may not be the yarder, but the place was called the "Pettibone Yard". It had it's own rail spur.

Here are a couple fo pics of todays fun and you can be sure I had a few bumps from bites going home !!
The tree is a Beech that came over in a storm some months ago, have been waiting for some time to get in on some dry ground, as you can see in one of the pics it's still pretty wet !

Dave, hope them flies didn't bite too hard......don't worry though, I'm thinkin' of ya while I'm sitting here slurping beer. Oh ####....I gotta go to work tomorow!

Awesome frickin poplar Hammer! You weren't kiddin you were gettin into some nice ones! Is that wood about like cutting ash as far as density? Those vines looked like a treat.

Nice pics Sam!

And Randy, well #### could you find somethin a little more up to date? Just kiddin man! Great pics as well! Hope you can get that scanner runnin overtime!

Awesome frickin poplar Hammer! You weren't kiddin you were gettin into some nice ones! Is that wood about like cutting ash as far as density? Those vines looked like a treat.

Nice pics Sam!

And Randy, well #### could you find somethin a little more up to date? Just kiddin man! Great pics as well! Hope you can get that scanner runnin overtime!

Softer than ash and cleaner than pine!
Speaking of Ash, I love it, but its the most sensitive damn wood out there, you can bust it just looking at it. I always clean up my game a notch for Ash.

Randy can't show new picks or we'll bust him for his capris.
or red heels?

Any progress on your end?

Hammer, is there still much a market for poplar bark back there? For a while that stuff was spendy.

I don't know much about the market except I've seen a few million dollar vacation homes that are still having it put up. My friend works at a camp that has it all over the cabins. I like it. Damn those poplars are slick when the bark comes off! So is the bottom side of the bark, the pieces on the ground that come off.

There's a big mill here that still manufactures it.

Last edited:
Speaking of Ash, I love it, but its the most sensitive damn wood out there, you can bust it just looking at it. I always clean up my game a notch for Ash.

or red heels?

I'l take ash over White oak ANY day. . .

or red heels?

Well I'm getting more of a feel for the activities in the area. I may have to go indy if I want to get any steady action. I'm not sure how that works, carrying my own insurance. I will cross that bridge if I have too.

I haven't talked to too many live people yet, just voicemails. Guess what one of the first questions asked was when I did get to talk to someone though?

Many of you leftys may be happy to know that looking through the WI Master Loggers Certification felling handbook, the humboldt is pictured as a viable face cut! I was kinda surprised myself. They also had a thing or two to say about sloping back-cuts! Haha.

Interestingly enough they mentioned to cut the corners off of the hinge in Ash specifically because of it tendancy to tear.

Hope the heat is taking it easy on you Hammer!

Probably the same one, at that rate I might have to check in to some extra curricular work next spring. Good thing I drive a toyota.

Reminds me of loading straw bales into my toyota with an old farm hand "they don't fit like in a ford or chevy, guess its made for bags of rice or somethin"

Last edited:
Well I'm getting more of a feel for the activities in the area. I may have to go indy if I want to get any steady action. I'm not sure how that works, carrying my own insurance. I will cross that bridge if I have too.

I haven't talked to too many live people yet, just voicemails. Guess what one of the first questions asked was when I did get to talk to someone though?

Many of you leftys may be happy to know that looking through the WI Master Loggers Certification felling handbook, the humboldt is pictured as a viable face cut! I was kinda surprised myself. They also had a thing or two to say about sloping back-cuts! Haha.

Interestingly enough they mentioned to cut the corners off of the hinge in Ash specifically because of it tendancy to tear.

Hope the heat is taking it easy on you Hammer!

Yea, it is easy to pull the stump in ash, but hey, pulling stumps does not bother me any. In any case, with ash, white oak, hell just about all of them when the sap is high, you just have to stay with them, cut all the holding wood. That is unless you can master the elusive side band swarp notch!!!! then you are in the clear hahahahah. Really, with any timber in any condition, falling against the lean some is all you need to keep a piece of timber together, IM-humble-O. .

Little clip. Cut a standing dead cottonwood today. First one ever. Damn things stink.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dP15uT6UGuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Either my saw needs a tune up or I need to re-check my sharpening skills :laugh:

The video doesn't show it, but had to put the tree between two docks.

Little clip. Cut a standing dead cottonwood today. First one ever. Damn things stink.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dP15uT6UGuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Either my saw needs a tune up or I need to re-check my sharpening skills :laugh:

The video doesn't show it, but had to put the tree between two docks.

good. yup them there are stink sticks.

Back