Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. Yeah, they're fun alright! But you know the best sized wood for production is like what Burvol is in, nice tall 3ft on the stump wood. They go down nice and quick and ALOT less bucking!

Ah Jordan, come on....It was 42" LOLOLOL Your stealing the show here :mad: . Joking ya bit :)

I agree. That is the wood that adds up. But it drinks the gas. Quick.

LOL. Yeah, they're fun alright! But you know the best sized wood for production is like what Burvol is in, nice tall 3ft on the stump wood. They go down nice and quick and ALOT less bucking!

Don't get me wrong, Burv's bar length wood is rib and butt cheek worthy too. :D

Hell, right now I'd settle for dropping a 5 acre stand of Lodgepole! LOL

Ah Jordan, come on....It was 42" LOLOLOL Your stealing the show here :mad: . Joking ya bit :)

Hey Burvol, I had a question on that pine? Who's setting your preferred length specs for that stuff?

I see you took a 16 out'a that butt, and then a 32? Is that a diameter thing or weight?

I know the mills here set the preferred lengths, but it'd half to be pretty big butt log to warrant a 16. I'll be damned if I can remember scale from 10 years ago when I was in the game, but I believe DF peelers were 33', and saw logs escape my memory.

Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder!! Just kidding, you've got some great pics on here. That big stuff uses the gas too though, couple tanks per undercut, back cut, etc. And then we get into the bucking! Not fun on steep ground! If I remember right, it took him a few hours to put the undercut in that big spruce. Almost killed him getting the blocks out of it!

Sorry, didn't mean to steal your thunder!! Just kidding, you've got some great pics on here. That big stuff uses the gas too though, couple tanks per undercut, back cut, etc. And then we get into the bucking! Not fun on steep ground! If I remember right, it took him a few hours to put the undercut in that big spruce. Almost killed him getting the blocks out of it!

..I was wondering what he had to do to get the face out ..... Still I,m pretty much speachless .. The biggest spruce I,ve fell was less than half the diameter of that one .......... This must be what being a small dog feels like when a big dog shows up ..:confused::dizzy::jawdrop:......

. Absolutly awesome !!!!coastal !!!!! Even the sweep butted red cedar he is standing on to buck is big !!!!! Good thing he had a 90 available .. Did they weld a special bar for that tree ??

Fine pictures. That guy on the springboard must have been real catty. I'm on my way to work...after those pictures I'll feel like I'm trimming rose bushes by comparison.

4 32's (2 16's and 3 32's, same diff) in this one, 4 + bushel. Raised back cut 4" inches, bladed her right in the slot, not a sliver pulled. I'm a sucker for the raised backcut in big pine, I think it's the way to do it. Period. Everyone is different. I have just noticed it works quite well for pull and control. Big Pine can get squirrly on ya...quick. It's a very heavy wood. The limbs are subtantually heavy as well. They move the stick more than a heavy limbed fir.

A 16 and 3 32's. Nice stick too.

Looked like another glorious day cuttin nice pine!

Here's some pics of one of my bullbuckers. The pics were taken in Cleagh Cr on Vancouver Island. Not bad spruce!

Dang, those are some impressive Spruce! I have only ever seen stumps that big. Danged old guys always had to beat me too them:cry: I would love to know how many bushel that biggest one had in it. Thanks for posting man!

Great pics Coastal!!!
Big trees can be a bunch of work, but you haven't lived until you have muscled 100 pound chunks out of a facecut, while perched on a springboard. I did my best work with the 36" to 48" range, good thing there was a lot of it.

So how is the butt log of a 17' diam spruce moved? One cannot exactly yank that up the hill with a skyline can they? Enquiring minds want to know.

..I was wondering what he had to do to get the face out ..... Still I,m pretty much speachless .. The biggest spruce I,ve fell was less than half the diameter of that one .......... This must be what being a small dog feels like when a big dog shows up ..:confused::dizzy::jawdrop:......

. Absolutly awesome !!!!coastal !!!!! Even the sweep butted red cedar he is standing on to buck is big !!!!! Good thing he had a 90 available .. Did they weld a special bar for that tree ??

Yeah, it's a pretty phenomenal tree all right! I'm not sure what size bar he had for that one. In the shop I've got an 8ft bar hanging on the wall, still in the cardboard, only was ever used once!

Fine pictures. That guy on the springboard must have been real catty. I'm on my way to work...after those pictures I'll feel like I'm trimming rose bushes by comparison.

LOL! Yeah, he is pretty catty. Been slowed lately though by shoulder and knee problems.

Dang, those are some impressive Spruce! I have only ever seen stumps that big. Danged old guys always had to beat me too them:cry: I would love to know how many bushel that biggest one had in it. Thanks for posting man!

I hear you on that one!

Great pics Coastal!!!
Big trees can be a bunch of work, but you haven't lived until you have muscled 100 pound chunks out of a facecut, while perched on a springboard. I did my best work with the 36" to 48" range, good thing there was a lot of it.

Absolutely! There's nothing quite like the feeling when one of them hits the ground!

So how is the butt log of a 17' diam spruce moved? One cannot exactly yank that up the hill with a skyline can they? Enquiring minds want to know.

I'm not sure what system they were using there. Loading would have been another issue too! I've seen an 18ft spruce loaded on a low bed. They used to drill in and stick some dynamite in too split them too.

Latest posts

Back