Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that a bushel was 1000 board ft Scribner.:monkey:

Could be, on the Scribner Scale. . . I pulled those 3 definitions from Google. There's enough scales, measures, and weights out there to confuse Einstein. :dizzy:

I'm looking right now at all three scales to see what it says about mbf to bushels.

Either way, that tree was just a hair under a thousand. . . Pretty dang nice.

So far, I haven't been able to find any reference to 1 mbf equaling ? bushel? I did find some other stuff though.

BUSHELING:
Method of payment in which the faller is paid for how many trees he falls and bucks. Generally the number of trees is converted into thousands of bored feet and a specific amount paid for each thousand board feet.

". . . Generally, one thousand board feet (1MBF) can range from 183-220 FT². . ."

So far, I haven't been able to find any reference to 1 mbf equaling ? bushel? I did find some other stuff though.

BUSHELING:
Method of payment in which the faller is paid for how many trees he falls and bucks. Generally the number of trees is converted into thousands of bored feet and a specific amount paid for each thousand board feet.

". . . Generally, one thousand board feet (1MBF) can range from 183-220 FT². . ."

Oh nooooooooo! Don't let the Merriam-Webster police find out we are not using terms in the dictionary! There are members of this forum that get their undies all twisted into a knot if everyone does not follow the accepted W-M definitions of words! They will throw us in jail for sure!

I could see where a bushel would be a thousand board feet and I think I even heard that term used back East many decades ago. Board foot I understand and when I buy lumber a "lift" is usually about 1000 bd ft, and is usually what is on a standard pallet/bundle of lumber 42" wide, 8' long, and 36" tall.

What is messing with my head is the new metric measurements. People selling/buying lumber by the cubic meter, and boards thicknesses and widths listed in centimeters. I am not sure I like that one bit!

I can't imagine cutting a tripple set of 32's out of a single log. Biggest thing I ever cut was some white pine that yielded 4-5 16's and that was it.

Burvol is in all the glory!

Glad to see your in some nice wood pard! I am still jealous though...you dawg:)

I always thought "bushel" was timber faller lingo, and in my vocabulary can mean many different things...for example when I am in a hurry and I have to do a sink full of dishes before I go some where I "bushel" them out...guess in my mind it means "bustin ass", hurrying? When I am busheling in timber falling, I am bustin ass to get as much wood down while also doing as good and clean of a job as possible. When I refer to a tree like: "How many bushel are in it", it means how many thousand board feet are in it.

Glad to see your in some nice wood pard! I am still jealous though...you dawg:)

I always thought "bushel" was timber faller lingo, and in my vocabulary can mean many different things...for example when I am in a hurry and I have to do a sink full of dishes before I go some where I "bushel" them out...guess in my mind it means "bustin ass", hurrying? When I am busheling in timber falling, I am bustin ass to get as much wood down while also doing as good and clean of a job as possible. When I refer to a tree like: "How many bushel are in it", it means how many thousand board feet are in it.

Bushel dishes, you crack me up buddy!

I taped it this morning and it was 48.5 on the consistant end at the butt. 49.5 if I really tried the long way...I was thumbing. It was actually 7.5 bushel. I would have been fired, LOL! I said 8.

I have been doing unit layout. The way we cram a bit more volume into a skidder unit is to run it up a steep slope not quite a tree length, and plan that "the fallers can launch it down to the skid trail." I've not heard any whining about that. How hard is that for you guys to do? The diameter runs from 10 to 16 inches and they are thinning units. West WA doug and hemlock, probably average 120 feet tall to the tippy top.

That kind of wood is cake. You back it up, wedge, then launch if it leans hard up hill. If possible, the dutchman is sweet going down hill. Gravity useually prevails, but not always.

That's not timber falling. That's tree tripping.

SlowP we do it all the time, even a little further up the hill than that since the shovel/jammer can reach 35 ft up the hill, as long as they can reach the end of the merchantable wood where its toped off.

But, when we have skid roads, we will cut strips upp to the road, after thats logged out we will stem the road (tops over the road, fast shovelling), then we will highswipe, which is just what you have marked, this too is shovelled, then the road gets shut down: bladed, waterbarred, etc., the it is overed with tops as we cut strips up to the next contour road, perhaps 400' above the last road.

Joe, you know I did not direct the title of the pic at you! I was being a turd.

Cut 3 pine today that had 4 32's, the last one had the last log at 12". Only 40" on the butt. Nicest pine patch I have ever cut. There is tons of Red Fir in there the same size and bigger. All day long. I am intrigued with some pine pics, I'm mostly a west side Hem/Fir faller.

Cut 3 pine today that had 4 32's, the last one had the last log at 12". Only 40" on the butt. Nicest pine patch I have ever cut. There is tons of Red Fir in there the same size and bigger. All day long. I am intrigued with some pine pics, I'm mostly a west side Hem/Fir faller.

Jesse. . . Hook a brother up with how you scaled that tree to come up with 7,500 board feet? I'd like to understand how you do it while at work?

Like I said, I'm trying to wrap my head around it so I can file the info away in the old gray matter. :cheers:

Yup, but it generally pays the same...correct?

I was joking. An Indain truck driver told me that, and he made me laugh. You probably are making better money than me at the moment and not having to work as hard aside from truckin' up and down that nasty ground, so it's a toss up. Falling on steep ground is serious. There is very limited room to get out, no matter how big or little of the timber. It's inheirently dangerous.

Jesse. . . Hook a brother up with how you scaled that tree to come up with 7,500 board feet? I'd like to understand how you do it while at work?

Like I said, I'm trying to wrap my head around it so I can file the info away in the old gray matter. :cheers:

Ask Cody, he's got all the bushels memorized by heart, I garauntee it :clap:
I have to look in a book for those numbers. The bushlel for 36 and 40 is all I really pay attention to. There is gross and net scale. Deducts and other things factor what the log will ultimately pay, based on scale and that number. You measure the little end of the log and reference it the book. Guys that bushel for a living know all of the numbers by heart, it's how they make their money. I am hourly, but I definetly don't slouch at work. I want to be known as a good, productive, guy.

I have to look in a book for those numbers. The bushlel for 36 and 40 is all I really pay attention to. There is gross and net scale. Deducts and other things factor what the log will ultimately pay, based on scale and that number. You measure the little end of the log and reference it the book. Guys that bushel for a living know all of the numbers by heart, it's how they make their money. I am hourly, but I definetly don't slouch at work. I want to be known as a good, productive, guy.

You give me too much credit pard...I do know that a 16' 6" log is 20 bd. ft.!

When I was bushelin, we always got paid by gross scale; Long butts, sweep, forks, it was all included. We got paid for snags and cull trees too. I always carried a scale tape which has the scale written on it. All you need to know is the length and diameter of each log. We had to know how many bd. ft. were in the bigger logs, so that we did not go over the weight for the helicopter. It also helps to know how many pounds to the bd. ft. each species of trees is. Anyhow, we would write the length and diameter of each log we cut, including all cull and snags, on our hard hats, then at night we would calculate our scale. It depended on where you were but sometimes we would use west-side scale and other times east side, which I think allows for more taper.

It was awesome to be getting $12-$14 bucks a thousand and makin 3 or 4 hundred bucks a day:clap: Wish it would have been that way all the time!

Pencil on aluminum worked well. I used to write down tree measurements on my hat. It didn't come off til I wanted it to come off. Then we had to switch to :censored: plastic. :chainsaw:

I never think about putting tape on it till I'm out away from tape. :chainsaw:

Well shucks. . . I thought you were actually measuring up a log. I didn't know you were using a scale book.

I was just looking at the FS publication of the Scibner Scale, that gives you BF for small-end and length measures. Reminds me of mechanics scale kinda. . . The book says three hours, so that's what it costs, whether it takes 3 or 1.

And here I thought you were doing math on the fly! :laugh:

:cheers:

Well shucks. . . I thought you were actually measuring up a log. I didn't know you were using a scale book.

I was just looking at the FS publication of the Scibner Scale, that gives you BF for small-end and length measures. Reminds me of mechanics scale kinda. . . The book says three hours, so that's what it costs, whether it takes 3 or 1.

And here I thought you were doing math on the fly! :laugh:

:cheers:

Come on Nate, that's how you do it! You measure the log, LOL...unless you can guess the correct diameter of everything you see. Walking down I figured I had about a 46" log @ 32'. Turns out it was 44.5", so we'll say 44. Roughly 3 bushel in the first cut.

There's one out there that makes this thing look small. Don't know when I'll get to it. Hopefully soon!

Last edited:
Back