Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy Mac is probably laughing to himself watching all of us talk about trees like this. I know. I missed that era. This is all I have to look forward to. I'll take it. I'll do my best to save it out and make it right. There's a couple of old growth hooters in some parks where the hippies congrigate that need cut. :)

Morning Jesse

Randy Mac is probably laughing to himself watching all of us talk about trees like this. I know. I missed that era. This is all I have to look forward to. I'll take it. I'll do my best to save it out and make it right. There's a couple of old growth hooters in some parks where the hippies congrigate that need cut. :)

I'm glad to see that somebody else is up before breakfast on their day off.:clap:

Get some of that Timber Harvest Boundary tape from Bailey's and wrap it around a few of those OG slugs...then sit back and watch the fun.

And...I don't think RandyMac, or me, are laughing at you guys...not even in fun. When we were young, agile, and ambitious those big trees were just part of the landscape and everybody we knew was logging them. I won't dwell on the "wish I knew then what I know now" garbage but the big stuff you guys cut now takes every bit of the skill and knowledge that we used then. What we did wasn't special or unique for the times we were in but I do wish it had lasted longer. I figure I was lucky to have been a part of it.

Moring Bob!

moto_0260.jpg

Cut alot of pine like this yesterday. Wheeled this badboy in reverse (you can tell which way it's gonna break by looking at it). Coolest trick besides piece of pie anyone ever taught me. Start at the bottom, poke over to the far side as quick as possible, then keep coming up, (just like you wheel going down but in reverse) when the kerf closed below and your bar is still alive, you got it made. Stop about 1-2 inches before you blow through, pull out and snip the top. Works a hell of a lot better than matching cuts or putting a whip under the end.

moto_0252.jpg

Nice 3-4 36's Red Fir everywhere, my favorite. Candy store I tell ya.

Last edited:
Come on Nate, that's how you do it! You measure the log, LOL...unless you can guess the correct diameter of everything you see. Walking down I figured I had about a 46" log @ 32'. Turns out it was 44.5", so we'll say 44. Roughly 3 bushel in the first cut.

There's one out there that makes this thing look small. Don't know when I'll get to it. Hopefully soon!

By 'measure up', I meant measuring big-end, small-end, and length -- then applying a math formula (which is kinda what the scale tables do for you).

There are two math formulas out there that are the basis for most scale tables that have been developed (I read there have been hundreds of scales developed, we use three of them). . . One of them is the Frustum of a cone, and the other is Smalian's formula (Smalian has the widest acceptance world-wide for log scaling). The two formulas don't take into consideration defect or volume loss at the mill.

I know, I know. . . I'm a nerd. :cry:

By 'measure up', I meant measuring big-end, small-end, and length -- then applying a math formula (which is kinda what the scale tables do for you).

There are two math formulas out there that are the basis for most scale tables that have been developed (I read there have been hundreds of scales developed, we use three of them). . . One of them is the Frustum of a cone, and the other is Smalian's formula (Smalian has the widest acceptance world-wide for log scaling). The two formulas don't take into consideration defect or volume loss at the mill.

I know, I know. . . I'm a nerd. :cry:

Whoa, buddy. Your a guy that cuts stuff from rough stock and makes it into very fine detail. I have seen your work :clap: I would say detail oriented. Nerd is for people who can't laugh :cry:
We just need to know the diameter of the little end, length and look it up in a scale book.

Burv my lad, I wouldn't laugh at you, I'd love to wander through your patch of trees, they would be great fun to fall. I don't think you are nuts for thinking you are in the good stuff, in this day and age, you are in the good stuff. It's not your fault that knotheads in the past cut all your old growth. The big timber was a lot of work, give me a 6 cubic inch saw and 36" trees any day, all day.
Listen to Bob, he makes much more sense then I do, and he is still at it.
I'm going to go play with my new 797 and think about hooters.
Burv, quit worrying about it, go get a Steelhead.

Whoa, buddy. Your a guy that cuts stuff from rough stock and makes it into very fine detail. I have seen your work :clap: I would say detail oriented. Nerd is for people who can't laugh :cry:
We just need to know the diameter of the little end, length and look it up in a scale book.

LOL. . . Yeah, I'm detail oriented for sure. I'm the same way when falling trees, when the stump isn't perfect, it drives me nuts!!

I did fall a nice little DF yesterday, it was probably 18" on the butt. It had a hard lean down the hill and to the left, and I wanted it to go down and to the right.

I gunned it 30° to the right of side lean, and put in a super sweet Humboldt that was really open to keep it on the stump longer. I cut most of the left side hold-wood as I did my back-cut. She swung right, but a little Fir kept me from nailing my lay dead nuts.

It was freaking sweet, I love falling timber! It was close enough that I could skid it out without ####ing around with a face or a roll. :clap:

I tell ya Jesse, if the market would turn around, I'd go bid more of those Stewardship contracts in a heartbeat. As it stands, there isn't anywhere local to sell the product, not even sawdust. :rant:

Although, a local firewood dude (he processes and ships all of the country) will buy whitewood for a pretty good tonnage rate. Last year he'd buy it by the truckload and was paying 42 a ton.

I envy you guys that are still out in the brush!! Make sure when you drop that fir pumpkin, make us a video! :D

Burv my lad, I wouldn't laugh at you, I'd love to wander through your patch of trees, they would be great fun to fall. I don't think you are nuts for thinking you are in the good stuff, in this day and age, you are in the good stuff. It's not your fault that knotheads in the past cut all your old growth. The big timber was a lot of work, give me a 6 cubic inch saw and 36" trees any day, all day.
Listen to Bob, he makes much more sense then I do, and he is still at it.
I'm going to go play with my new 797 and think about hooters.
Burv, quit worrying about it, go get a Steelhead.

Yes sir! Get right on that Randy. Think I'm off AS for the day, out into the shop to grind chains, grease the calks and then go get that steelhead.

Cody, did you do the tape under the brim trick? I used to peel them off and stick the tape on my own set of books.

See that white strip of tape around my hardhat in these pics:

scan0001-3.jpg

scan0004-1.jpg

scan0003-1.jpg

Also here on my Brothers tin hat and the Bullbuck to his left:

scan0001-1.jpg

Anyhow, that tape is hard to find. It was called plastic tape I think? It was usually found in a well stocked hardware store, and usually came in a small roll with a variety of colors, with yellow and white working the best. You had to stretch it on real tight, but it worked great! I can't recall ever losin any numbers. I would copy it at night onto my scale sheet then wash it off with comet. I would also use a rite in the rain book occasionally if I was wearin a goofy george jetson hat. Also I had all my numbers in shorthand. Y=40 x=32...I had a symbol for every log length, and all my buddies thought I was crazy, but anything to save time when you are bushelin!

See that white strip of tape around my hardhat in these pics:

scan0001-3.jpg

scan0004-1.jpg

scan0003-1.jpg

Also here on my Brothers tin hat and the Bullbuck to his left:

scan0001-1.jpg

Anyhow, that tape is hard to find. It was called plastic tape I think? It was usually found in a well stocked hardware store, and usually came in a small roll with a variety of colors, with yellow and white working the best. You had to stretch it on real tight, but it worked great! I can't recall ever losin any numbers. I would copy it at night onto my scale sheet then wash it off with comet. I would also use a rite in the rain book occasionally if I was wearin a goofy george jetson hat. Also I had all my numbers in shorthand. Y=40 x=32...I had a symbol for every log length, and all my buddies thought I was crazy, but anything to save time when you are bushelin!

Great pics, Cody!!

Joe, you know I did not direct the title of the pic at you! I was being a turd.

thats just quality #### talking, which is far different from being a ####. Harrassment appreciated. Made me laugh.

Any credit for my wood is heavier than yours?

Lotta great pics have been added to this thread the Giant spruces are great. Great thread Jesse.

Thanks Brian. Now this is what I like at AS. I'm doing my best to stay out of the other forums :bang: and stick among the bretheren and the barbarian. :cheers:

No fish, but spring chinook are just about here. Got poison oak on face. I thought I was about immune to that #### by now.

I Burvol'd a pine

I hate showing the same pics twice, but I had to share.

Unnamed10.jpg

and split an old stump - i surprised myself with this one.
Unnamed.jpg

Ya'll got some great pictures and information on this thread. :clap: Wish I had something to compair to trees ya'll are falling/have fell. But I'm more into the Forestry part. Keep them coming guys. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back