Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work has been great, minus the "Where's my paycheck?" :monkey:
Told my siderod today, need check, or no more workie until pay day. Last time I contracted to this outfit I went 60 days with no pay, no draw. I should have learned my lesson. :dizzy:
Love the job, but can't live on love.

Oh, been there too, worked for an old Gypo outta Garberville, nobody would take a check from him, he paid cash at the end of every day.\
I know a guy who can tighten him up for you.

Oh, been there too, worked for an old Gypo outta Garberville, nobody would take a check from him, he paid cash at the end of every day.\

LOL...Or on payday we'd all race each other to the bank because there was never enough money in the payroll account to cash everybody's check. The last guys to the bank were out of luck and none of the local stores would cash them.

I give this company all that I got in the tank, everyday. On a mission to build a solid rep here, on top of what I got. I don't think it's cool (as I tear the calisus' off my hands) to short change people when they unload all the firepower they got, every damn day on their job, some days draggin' as back to the crummy, or taking a nap, roadside. Gave it my all!

LOL...Or on payday we'd all race each other to the bank because there was never enough money in the payroll account to cash everybody's check. The last guys to the bank were out of luck and none of the local stores would cash them.

Somethings never change, decade to decade.

Top of the morning Bob!!!

You cuttin' logs, skinning cat, or behind the wheel this week?

Probably a lot of the first one, none of the second, with the third choice available if the weather turns sour.

LOLOL...and I was right about that job I PMd you about being cancelled 'til next year. I got all the landings cut out, the roads all ready, it was all pretty and ready to go...then went back in and water barred everything and shut it down. Sounds like logging to me. :confused:

I give this company all that I got in the tank, everyday. On a mission to build a solid rep here, on top of what I got. I don't think it's cool (as I tear the calisus' off my hands) to short change people when they unload all the firepower they got, every damn day on their job, some days draggin' as back to the crummy, or taking a nap, roadside. Gave it my all!

Yup. It always amazes me how outfits like that stay in business. But they seem to. There's two like that in our area and they've been around for years. Slow pay, no pay, windy promises of things better a ways down the road and it never happens. Nobody local who knows them will work for them but they keep finding people...mostly exchange students from south of the border.

Those outfits are funny in a way. They never seem to change. One of them called me for a falling job last year and I told them I'd rather peel french fries at Burger King than work for what they paid.. The guy just said "Okay, uh...will you rent us your Cat then?" :bang:

It's always an experience if you meet up with them in the coffee shop, everybody sitting around the big table having breakfast, and watching them trying to be the last ones to pick up the check...or try to walk it entirely. It's kinda like a sport...everybody sneaks out and leaves them with all the breakfast bills whenever we can. :clap:

I hear those stories. I have to stay out of it. I've been asked by rigging guys if "The Government" can make their employers pay them. The answer is no. Not on timber sales. I've seen complete crew changes weekly. That's an indicator that the logger is not paying the crew.

Doesn't Tanya Harding live somewhere by you Burvol? I can't find my baseball bat. :greenchainsaw:

I hear those stories. I have to stay out of it. I've been asked by rigging guys if "The Government" can make their employers pay them. The answer is no. Not on timber sales. I've seen complete crew changes weekly. That's an indicator that the logger is not paying the crew.

Doesn't Tanya Harding live somewhere by you Burvol? I can't find my baseball bat. :greenchainsaw:

I saw her at a drive thru a few years ago!

This company isn't too bad for pay scale, just always late during start up. I'm just as in need as them starting out too. The side I am cutting for now is all good guys, a few my age. We're all buddies, I like it.

I rallied the troops the other day...we're burrying the other side, production wise. They got all the new toys. We got the more used stuff, half the wood, and half the man power and still out produce them. I love it! I cut for both sides, but made it clear I want to be around this side more. Good group of guys that bust ass and we all have fun. The work is steady and good, but the jokes and smart asses are in endless supply :greenchainsaw:

OK. I'm heading down there somewhere on Monday. Everybody else is on vacation so I'm filling in. Good thing the pickup has a good music radio! Which reminds me, I better make a run into the office to make sure I have a d-tape in the pickup. Monday morning is not a good time to be looking for a d tape.

Maybe they'll be on flat ground and in the sun? :)

OK. I'm heading down there somewhere on Monday. Everybody else is on vacation so I'm filling in. Good thing the pickup has a good music radio! Which reminds me, I better make a run into the office to make sure I have a d-tape in the pickup. Monday morning is not a good time to be looking for a d tape.

Maybe they'll be on flat ground and in the sun? :)

I doubt it :) I am up out of Glenwood in this unit, the other one is more westerly. Go by and get a springer for me, I'm assuming you'll be close to Bonneville? This rain will help push them in.

Companies are a different animal, they always pay ontime, exactly what they owe you. Falling for a big outfit isn't near as much fun as working for a smaller outfit I had my best expiriences working with small 5 to 10 man family based crews, on private lands. However when I was bouncing around the north half of the state I did run across some clunkers, it depended on the timber and how it was logged, whether I stayed or not. Harrison out of Red Bluff, I didn't stay for the pay, I stayed to fall timber. I laid waste to 20 acres of OG Pine and Cedar, on good ground, took me about three weeks. Did I make any money? Some. The old guy took good care of me, a great place to stay, all the food I could eat. This was in the barbarian period, I zig-zaged around looking for anything I could chainsaw into submission, A job like this was heaven. Money wasn't an issue then, I just wanted to thrash the daylights outta the forest, lift the shade off the ground. I'd saw anything, I love to do slashing, prep work, killing brush with a 10-10 with a 28" was good for the maniac. Back to bucks, how much do you think old Ray paid me to be his second saw? $50.00 a day plus expenses, I should have paid him for the expirience, can't put a number on that.
Second shot of Black Lable Rye in progress, Havatampa time.
Did I ever make any money?. Oh yes, there were times when clearing 250-300 a day was possible, rare enough indeed, but possible, mostly about 225.00. Like our lad Burv, I gave everything I had. Were there times with no good jobs? Yep, I fled to the ranch or picked up where I left off with the Forestry, they kept my locker for me, I could show up at 0600 for breakfast, be working by 8.

Time to walk the pups

Today I was going at a steady clip with a little wind. I came to a small (20-22 DBH 2 lengths) Pine with a bunch of rocks/dirt on the uphill side of the side lean. I chose to cut under the lean instead of highstumping. I usually practice it once or twice a week to keep the ability when needed in times like this. I rarely check my far corner in wood this size, no need usually. When your getting close to backing it up all the way, all you have to do is check your sights when they are lined up at what you gunned at, then look at how much wood you have left. That should be the same all the way across. I took my eyes off it and watched the wind blow the top around. I thought I had it sawn up enough when a pretty good gust made it jump. I pulled out and it chaired. Only lost about 6 feet of wood, not too bad. I had a tad shallow of a face for wind. My fault. It's been a while since I chaired a tree. A baby chair it was. I have one hooter under my belt, :dizzy: LOL. It's been a few years. I just wanted to share some reality with you guys. No one is perfect, but it can happen. I'm sure Cody, Randy, and Bob have all had the pleasure.

Many times pard! I think the worst I ever had was on about a 3 foot pine...I had just went to work for Columbia, an 18 year old greenhorn; barberchaired it about 20 up. It was funny explaining to the forest service lady how it happened. Worst one I ever saw was when I was double-jackin with a guy in humboldt county, he was falling I was bucking. Very windy day with gale force gusts...we shoulda went home. Anyhow, he faced up about a 3 foot red fir, very tall tree, and the wind was rockin it around pretty good, but it started to fall over the face when a huge gust smashed into the front blew it back and it barber chaired backwards:jawdrop: we were both within 15 feet of the stump and in a split second it chaired up about 60 feet and luckily came straight down and did not spin...it landed about a foot from my saw and was way too close to us. We looked at each other, knees knockin and said "lets get the hell outa here". That was a wicked barber chair! I had a friend that got killed by one about that bad in 96; young guy...sad. A guy is always glad when you can experience something without gettin hurt. Take care pard! Thanks for sharing :)

Latest posts

Back