Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently the EDIT function isn't working. I forgot that you're running a Husky so disregard my Stihl bar advice. Or, go ahead and get one so you'll be ready when you step up to a real saw. Not knocking Husky...they're a fine saw....if you don't know any better.

As far as that Slingr' 660 goes...well, let's just say that it's not good to give a kid a Corvette when all he's ever driven is a YUgo.

Now, all that being said, I've got to get packed and get on the road. The 660 will be eating Redwood this time tomorrow

An adapter from homelite410 and a little grinding on the slot to make the same length chains fit and you'll be in business.

Bob if those bars aren't completely trashed I might try to revive them if there's hope to get one or two back straight.

Thanks for the offer Mike, I appreciate it, but those bars are going to the local high school metal shop class. There's a couple of us that have been collecting bars and the local saw shops are throwing in on it too. If the kids can get the kinks out we have first right to buy some back from them and they'll auction the rest. I didn't buy any last year but I saw a couple of 36s that they did and for ten bucks they were well worth the price.

Thanks for the offer Mike, I appreciate it, but those bars are going to the local high school metal shop class. There's a couple of us that have been collecting bars and the local saw shops are throwing in on it too. If the kids can get the kinks out we have first right to buy some back from them and they'll auction the rest. I didn't buy any last year but I saw a couple of 36s that they did and for ten bucks they were well worth the price.

Well that's cool.

Apparently the EDIT function isn't working. I forgot that you're running a Husky so disregard my Stihl bar advice. Or, go ahead and get one so you'll be ready when you step up to a real saw. Not knocking Husky...they're a fine saw....if you don't know any better.

As far as that Slingr' 660 goes...well, let's just say that it's not good to give a kid a Corvette when all he's ever driven is a YUgo.

I can't "like" anything right now, but I have enjoyed these posts.

Nope. I already have somebody in mind for that saw. Besides, it's a west coast saw and I think it would be unhappy without mountains and the ocean around somewhere.

Bob that's a damn good running saw........................................for a creamsicle.:D

I think your plan's a good one. He'll appreciate it for sure.:msp_thumbup:

Bob please let me know when those kids have the refurbished bars up for sale. I'd sure be interested in a few when the time comes.

Nope. I already have somebody in mind for that saw. Besides, it's a west coast saw and I think it would be unhappy without mountains and the ocean around somewhere.

Hmmm...not a hard guess. Does his log in name start with an "R" and end with a "r" and is (7) letters long? Good decision Gologit, at least it will go to "Pro" hands.

Hmmm...not a hard guess. Does his log in name start with an "R" and end with a "r" and is (7) letters long? Good decision Gologit, at least it will go to "Pro" hands.

Nope. The person the saw is going to isn't even a member here although he has a relative who is. And who the heck are you talking about...I can't puzzle it out.

Hmmmm...that's a good question. I never really thought about it before and I'm not sure how to describe it. Let me think about it and for now I'll take the easy way out and say it smells like...Redwood.

Victory? Different woods give me different memories. Yep that sounds dumb. True though. My wife loves it when I've been cuttin red oak in the rain all day. She says it smell like rotten something.

Does redwood smell like cedar? Not like pine or spruce I'm guessing.

I know Elm smells like cow scrap when ya cut it (and when it's stacked). I bet Oak ain't too far off.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Trained Beavers

Victory? Different woods give me different memories. Yep that sounds dumb. True though. My wife loves it when I've been cuttin red oak in the rain all day. She says it smell like rotten something.

Does redwood smell like cedar? Not like pine or spruce I'm guessing.

Nope, not like cedar. Not pine or spruce either. And not like fir. Next time I'm over on the coast (I just got home from there today) I'll whittle you off a few chunks and mail them to you. You can decide what it smells like.

This isn't doing me any good, ya know. Now I'm wracking my brain, what there is of it, trying to figure out how to describe the smell of Redwood. You're asking a guy with six cylinder equipment to try an eight cylinder job. Isn't this elder abuse?

And I understand about different wood smells triggering different memories. The smell of Bay trees is one of my earliest childhood memories. My Grandfather's ranch had hundreds of them. RandyMac knows the part of the country I'm talking about. In the heat of a summer day that smell laid so heavy in the air that you felt like it was coating your skin and clothes. You could almost see that smell.

But Redwood? Dunno. If I could really write I'd say that I keep getting the smell of it, and it does have a unique smell, mixed in with sweat, and snoose, and saw mix, and boot grease, and diesel exhaust, and the way the inside of your black metal lunch pail smelled after sitting out in the sun all morning. Redwood smells like the grease on a new bull line, and cigarette smoke, and moss, and ferns, and fresh turned dirt on a skid road, and the inside of a crummy, and that particular smell of big gear drive Mac or Homelite when you finally finish a long buck and shut it off to refuel. That's about as close as I can come to describing it.

I know Elm smells like cow scrap when ya cut it (and when it's stacked). I bet Oak ain't too far off.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Trained Beavers

Elm stinks when cut (including the asian varieties, such as what we took out of my folk's back yard a number of years ago). The tree we took out and bucked up smelled like dog poop. The smell seemed to left the wood after it was dried.

Oak has a distinctive smell when cut and stacked..........................reminds me of tree moss and Elmer's glue.

Douglas Fir smells fantastic when cut (at least to my nose). Always reminds me of Christmas (because my dad always put up Doug Fir trees for Christmas), and also reminds me of a sawmill (and lumber yards/constructon sites).

Eucalyptus stinks, even when standing. Stands of Euc (often put up as windbreaks here near the coast) smell like cat piss to my nose.

Madrone doesn't have much of a smell (at least for me).

California Bay Laurel (Often called 'Bay' or 'Pepperwood' here) smells great when cut (and standing). Very 'peppery' or 'spicy' smell. Think of bay leaves and cooking...

Cedar smells like.....................well like my Mom's cedar cabinet, or like the cedar drawer liners (or a new cigar box). Spicy. Aromatic. Beyond that....

I can't begin to describe what cut Redwood smells like. It's not like Douglas Fir, Cedar, or anything else. Much more 'subtle'. Gonna have to think about it for a while. Best I can do for now is "earthy" and "mildly spicy"...

Everybody knows what pine smells like...

Arbutus menziesii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Umbellularia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back