Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't some of those redwoods shoot water streams out when cutting them ?

Gallons and gallons of it sometimes. If you had an old snag that had the top blown out of it sometimes they'd fill up like a water bottle.
Talk about stink.

LOL...Bitz was asking about the smell of Redwood but I forgot to include that smell in my description. That stuff could be nasty.

Seen oaks do that too. We took down a huge, gnarly old oak a while back (IIRC it was a Valley Oak). Was probably 3'x5' at the base (at least), with several forks and beams above that. Broad canopy. Blasted water out for at least a couple minutes while Norm was making his face cut (and this was after our climber had dropped the canopy and all of the upper beams). Overwhelmed his oiler. Chain bound up. Had to run the bar out of the cut for a spell to clear the water/mung out and get oil where it was supposed to be again.

Last edited:
all the sequoia and redwood i have cut , which is very little compared to a few members here. is all most a dirty sweet smell kinda hard to describe. if you realy want to know i'll mail you a small chunk so you will know.

Bob, we can see ya now lol. and yes you can write! I love the smell of decaying oak leaves in the fall. and for those that don't know, white oak smells very good compared to red oak.

Bob, we can see ya now lol. and yes you can write! I love the smell of decaying oak leaves in the fall. and for those that don't know, white oak smells very good compared to red oak.

Aside from any concerns over violating agricultural restrictions (#### 'em), we ought send some of our 'regional' wood samples around for examination. I've never cut red oak. Mostly Valley Oak, Tanoak and Coastal Live Oak, with a bit of California Black Oak thrown in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_lobata

Notholithocarpus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quercus kelloggii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quercus agrifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

California oak woodland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Aside from any concerns over violating agricultural restrictions (#### 'em), we ought send some of our 'regional' wood samples around for examination. I've never cut red oak. Mostly Tanoak and Coastal Live Oak, with a bit of California Black Oak thrown in.

Notholithocarpus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quercus kelloggii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quercus agrifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

California oak woodland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

if i'm right [witch is questionable] tan oak prolly smells like red oak. I assume they call it tan oak because of tannic acid, that is why red oak stinks.
well shoot, it ain't even an oak, it's a beech ha! your black oak is closer to red oak.

Last edited:
if i'm right [witch is questionable] tan oak prolly smells like red oak. I assume they call it tan oak because of tannic acid, that is why red oak stinks.

I think you're right..........and Tanoak does have a strong smell. Not sure I'd quite call it a 'stink'...........at least in comparison to Eucalyptus or Elm. That stuff STINKS.

Nope, not like cedar. Not pine or spruce either. And not like fir. Next time I'm over on the coast (I just got home from there today) I'll whittle you off a few chunks and mail them to you. You can decide what it smells like.

This isn't doing me any good, ya know. Now I'm wracking my brain, what there is of it, trying to figure out how to describe the smell of Redwood. You're asking a guy with six cylinder equipment to try an eight cylinder job. Isn't this elder abuse?

And I understand about different wood smells triggering different memories. The smell of Bay trees is one of my earliest childhood memories. My Grandfather's ranch had hundreds of them. RandyMac knows the part of the country I'm talking about. In the heat of a summer day that smell laid so heavy in the air that you felt like it was coating your skin and clothes. You could almost see that smell.

But Redwood? Dunno. If I could really write I'd say that I keep getting the smell of it, and it does have a unique smell, mixed in with sweat, and snoose, and saw mix, and boot grease, and diesel exhaust, and the way the inside of your black metal lunch pail smelled after sitting out in the sun all morning. Redwood smells like the grease on a new bull line, and cigarette smoke, and moss, and ferns, and fresh turned dirt on a skid road, and the inside of a crummy, and that particular smell of big gear drive Mac or Homelite when you finally finish a long buck and shut it off to refuel. That's about as close as I can come to describing it.

That's a damn good explanation Bob. I think I get it or as close to it as I can. I knew it was a tough question after I thought about it.

For all you fellas wanting to know about redwood smell. . . A lot of lumber yards have it for decking. You can go in there and lay your stiffer on it. I grew up using redwood for all kinds of carpentry projects with my dad. It does have its own smell. It's also very soft and brittle at the same time.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Spider Silk

I of course can't comment on redwood smell. Red oak on the other hand smells like ketchup. Yellow birch is my favorite as far as smell. Very minty. Tamarack/larch is also nice, like fresh cut grass. But that comes when the tops get crushed up in a skid trail.

Cutting cedar always brings me back to a closet I used to hide in in my grandmothers house. Last summer seems like forever ago.......

just love me the smells of them Highly Valuable Black Walnuts.
and along wif'd them freshly minted, crisp smells is the vision of yellow nuggets and hot coals. :msp_wink:

Any tree with windshake is gonna have something to spray on you, crotches, anywere fluid can accumulate. I cut a big ugly red fir back in my sport falling days that gushed thick sap for several minutes. In that case pitch pockets I rekon.
Here's a funny one. A friend had been in piss fir all day and later at the tavern a woman complimented him on how he smelled like christmas trees. He responded by saying " thats just piss fir baby". What a way to blow a come on lmao.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fresh cut alder, and Doug fir.

But a western hemlock mess the day after cutting in the fall... sort of a mix of the two like to much candy at christmas, always brings me back to pulling choker behind a beat to hel old D-4 cat and an arch...

The wifey really likes the smell of western hemlock...

I would assume it's the site. I'm very sad to hear it as I very much enjoy watching you fall trees. If it's on YouTube just copy and paste a link here and we'll find it. You better have your thumb wrapped or I'll bullbuck ya:bowdown::biggrin:

Meh, it wasn't anything special. I was chasing the hinge on a leaner that I should have Coos Bay'd or bored. Never did catch it and it shows when the fibre pull starts. Kind of an object lesson in what not to do. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back