Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you must be doing pretty much everything right, cause I would have left the holding wood on the pull side and started the back cut on the far side. If you have reached the point where you are doing the opposite of what I would have done, you are really getting somewhere!:D

Great looking fall and awesome video. Thanks TC, keep 'em coming!

Hey Clint. . . Next time on that swing (on the backcut)-- saw the far side up more first & leave more on the near side. What it does, is let's the tree start to settle into the kerf -- & that's what initiates your swing. Ya gotta be quick though, cause as it rolls it can sit on your bar. And you need to keep sawing the near side to keep the momentum going. You can soften it up with a couple extra kerfs below your first one on that far side too.
Hope this makes sense. LOL

I much prefer to get the stick started from the face, cutting on the comp side until the tree starts to sit. Throttle out to open the kerf a a hair and hit the back on the pull side and bring it around. Thia technique will put em in motion where your description often gets them stalled out, on your bar haha. Sometimes I cut so much out of the face, there is only a strip of wood behind the pull side, thats like 145 degree turn status!

No doubt. Now if we could only get Clint to see the value in a good clean opened up face!!

Clint isn't a farmer, firewood guy, or weekend warrior. He is a full time, professional faller who cuts 6 days a week and has survived several cutbacks and personnel changes on his job. He puts loads of trees right where he wants them every day.
Logging is a weird field if it's cool to bag on a successful fellow pro's technique in a public forum

easy Jon, I don't think anyone is knockin ol Clint, just observing.
He just seems to receive more observations than most. This one didn't seem mean spirited, but a lot of them have. He's prolly dropping trees as we "speak". If he were some random guy posting a video on YouTube I'd feel differently, but he's our friend, takes great pride in his work, and deserves better. Now, offering advice like "try swinging from the face" or "soft-dutching the far side might help" seem well intentioned, but the "he needs a bigger face" and "that back-barring will wear you out" don't (and if I can tell the difference, I know y'all can too). He won't be happy I'm takin up for him, but I know how he feels about this stuff, so I will continue to do so

I don't know man. Seems like we're all a little hard on each other, but that's what makes us better cutters and loggers. I've done some stupid **** and been called on it, and I'm grateful for it.

That and I'm pretty sure most of us are not real good at talking to people in the real world, so spitting it out and possibly offending someone is just business as usual, as regrettable as it is.

For me I tend to mumble... a lot... or holler and yell, no real middle ground, so either people keep saying what, or start fighting/crying depending on personal fortitude... So it goes from hey you maybe wanna grab that there gods damned axe thingy and come over here, To Grab the ****ing axe and get yer ass over here! all leading to some serious misunderstandings.

I don't know man. Seems like we're all a little hard on each other, but that's what makes us better cutters and loggers. I've done some stupid **** and been called on it, and I'm grateful for it.

That and I'm pretty sure most of us are not real good at talking to people in the real world, so spitting it out and possibly offending someone is just business as usual, as regrettable as it is.

For me I tend to mumble... a lot... or holler and yell, no real middle ground, so either people keep saying what, or start fighting/crying depending on personal fortitude... So it goes from hey you maybe wanna grab that there gods damned axe thingy and come over here, To Grab the ****ing axe and get yer ass over here! all leading to some serious misunderstandings.

That happened to me once. I was all done up in typical rain gear and somebody on the rigging crew yelled up in that style about bringing down the ******** saw and ******* hurry up. I looked around, there was nobody else, so I picked up their saw and brought it down. They recognized who it was and got kind of embarassed and spluttery and apologizing and I just laughed. It was funny. I don't know where the guy I was supposed to be was. But they got their saw.

Clint isn't a farmer, firewood guy, or weekend warrior. He is a full time, professional faller who cuts 6 days a week and has survived several cutbacks and personnel changes on his job. He puts loads of trees right where he wants them every day.
Logging is a weird field if it's cool to bag on a successful fellow pro's technique in a public forum

This is not the chainsaw form Jon. Bagging would be more like, "your technique sucks and your a dangerous cutter". No one has spoken to Clint that way thus far, and I doubt anyone will. Do I know people who would, you bet. I know people who would say the same about some of my techniques. There's a whole lot to learn in the logging woods, for all of us, & there's really no room for tending to someones feelings..

Bagging would be more like, "your technique sucks and your a dangerous cutter". No one has spoken to Clint that way thus far, and I doubt anyone will.

Well, there is this one guy who talks to him like that, and he's why I opened my big mouth. I obviously don't understand loggers, and I'll (finally) shut my trap

Well, there is this one guy who talks to him like that, and he's why I opened my big mouth. I obviously don't understand loggers, and I'll (finally) shut my trap

Yer fine Jon! Thanks for looking out for me but if 056 kid was gonna bag on me he'd be worse on me than that! LOL! Don't shut yer trap...LOL!

Latest posts

Back