Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And some more. Ok I'll quit buggin you guys for a while.

This last one pretty much sums up my day. Frustrating. It had a double crotch and if I would have sent it where it was leaning I would have lost the last log for sure, maybe two. Yeah I had to pull some fibers to do it though. Saved all the logs out and even the top logs. It made 3 10s and 3 12s.

yes. not only that, some times for me it comes down to, pull it hard and have to trim it or don't cut it at all cuz it can not go down where it wants to...........so a 500 dollar log on the truck is better than an 800 dollar log standing waiting to blow over and rot.
make sense? besides, that wern't to bad......bass wood is just saw any way? sweet gum loves to pull fiber, but alot of times there is no other way, so i'm makin a load of gum pallet saw......it can do what ever, its goin on the truck.

you mean to save the top?.....well, if it will go down and not be in a buffer or out in the road, and its veneer, then in that case prolly not. however as i understand it you get paid on volume instead of grade? then i guess it depends wich ever you gain the most in. i still say that little bit of pull is no big deal.

you mean to save the top?.....well, if it will go down and not be in a buffer or out in the road, and its veneer, then in that case prolly not. however as i understand it you get paid on volume instead of grade? then i guess it depends wich ever you gain the most in. i still say that little bit of pull is no bigdeal.

I had typed out almost the same thing, but I didn't know bitz got paid scale not grade. Seems like it would be to your mills benefit to pony up for higher pay on high grade.

Mike would you sacrifice some butt pull to save the last log? I've been meaning to ask you. That ash was a good example. If I would have let it lay where it wanted I would have lost 2-3 logs probably.
some times i read to fast. if you saved 2 logs, thats what 24'? so you sacrificed 1' to save 24'? good deal in my book.

Heres some from today. Mostly basswood with the good saw. I'm a little wound up from it being monday and sittin in the skidder all morning. Of course I had a serious time crunch today today. I needed to cut a load in 3 hours instead of the usual 4.

I like watching you cut. . . No d ick around.

You should be teaching those bore cutters how it's done. [emoji12]

As far as pulling wood to save-out an entire stick, you bet your ass! Better to pull the stump, but we don't always get our way.

Any neanderthal can go and slip them off the stump and let them fall down with the lean, real timber fallers steer their trees where they need to go -- to keep lead or save-out. And steering takes fiber, just how it is.

Same with hanging one up every now and then, it's gonna happen.

Fiber%2Bpuller.jpg

Back