Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried Castmasters, we used the two tone brass and chrome on the Van Duzen and Mattole rivers with good results. They work well when you need to cast under willows and other overhanging brush. The big chrome spinners work on the Klamath, but dodging arrows to fish the lower Klamath gets tiresome, to say nothing about all the gillnets that are clogging the river. Time for barbwire wrapped hay bales.

I was able to dodge the arrows and caught one at (see if I can remember to spell it ) Weitchpitch. I think I butchered the spelling. That place where the narrow highway curves start or end and sometimes there'd be a herd of pigs in the road. Near where the Klamath and Trinity join. On the Klamath.

I was told I was lucky to have gotten out alive but all two of the people I saw were very nice and congratulated me on my fish.

Hey Bob! I went to the Wal Marche determined to find a suitable camera. A young lad spent quite a lot of time explaining the virtues of a camera, and I was going to buy it, but then when they went to get one, they were out!

So, I moseyed over to the K-Marche and bought one for less and I hope it does OK.

I am ready, soon as I learn to work the camera, to be the official photographer at the GTG as delegated.

I have to work tomorrow. At least run out and see what is going on. :cry:

The Used Dog posed for learning how to work the camera. The "sports" setting and some cropping (the house is in disarray after the trip to town)
resulted in this.

attachment.php

Then I zoomed for a closeup of Old Scarnose. Apparently too close. But you can see he is scarred for life. :eek:

attachment.php

More practice will occur before next weekend. OK, back to fish and falling.

I was able to dodge the arrows and caught one at (see if I can remember to spell it ) Weitchpitch. I think I butchered the spelling. That place where the narrow highway curves start or end and sometimes there'd be a herd of pigs in the road. Near where the Klamath and Trinity join. On the Klamath.

I was told I was lucky to have gotten out alive but all two of the people I saw were very nice and congratulated me on my fish.

Hey Bob! I went to the Wal Marche determined to find a suitable camera. A young lad spent quite a lot of time explaining the virtues of a camera, and I was going to buy it, but then when they went to get one, they were out!

So, I moseyed over to the K-Marche and bought one for less and I hope it does OK.

I am ready, soon as I learn to work the camera, to be the official photographer at the GTG as delegated.

I have to work tomorrow. At least run out and see what is going on. :cry:

Weitchapec? It's an Indian word meaning "we're lost but the fishing is really good".

Weitchapec? It's an Indian word meaning "we're lost but the fishing is really good".

That's it. Between the bustling metropoli of Orleans and Hoopah. Maybe they were nice because I had a "It's Hard To Be Humble If You're Norwegian" bumper sticker at the time on my fishing vehicle. :)

Nah, the Weitchapecians were nice that day.

Stumpology 101

I took some pictures of the tall trees while out wandering checking up on stuff yesterday. Their stumps too. Can anybody explain why the stump was trimmed off a bit?
Here's the stump.
attachment.php

Here's the used to be attached tree.
attachment.php

Some more pictures of trees on the ground and my beautiful assistant.
attachment.php

A longbutt--OK to do.
attachment.php

Rot + Sweep= longbutt.
attachment.php

If you're talking about the first 2 pics, it was the root pull where they used the root flare to get some side pull- tore the root out the stump as they pulled it, then they trimed the flare off the log so it would log better. A good use for a root flare, good wood for pulling trees side hill, just dont break any wood!

Little bit of splinter pull there. Lucky the faller could cover his butt and long butt it because of rot

Mr. Bitzercreek, I need to pick out some of your spinners, it's almost that time for the hardware bite on the salmon and steelhead. They will see their share of use in real world testing. I'm sure I will find a color/blade/bead combo that works. There is always that one surprise spinner that everyone wants, lol.

Hey Burv,

I'll PM ya my contact info. I'll ship you all the colors and sizes I've got. That way no need to choose. Keep on keepin your lines tight and your timber tighter!

Last edited:
A little job did for son and daughter in law last night. some leaning Alders the worst one leaning over the neighbors old imobile pick upput a bull rope in to ensure it went where I wanted just little 25-30"ers.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
Its too bad my phone/camera broke. I could post a pic of the renovation I did on the 2007 "work truck" as we easterners call them.

over 7000 worth of damage. . .

Wind took a poplar from me and the sob fell on the truck. I still cant believe it, i thought about selling the saw and getting out of timber falling all together.

So who else has dropped a tree on pickup?

Bummer Ted, I haven't, but I lost a 36" round down a hill, right into the driver's door of my Dad's Chevy 1/2 ton.
Ted, you can't give up yet, you have some massive ####-ups left to do, some of the same ones we have all done. Next on your list of ####-ups is to miss-guess lean, top weight and root strength, then undercut way too much and have the bastard uproot. Carefull where you park.

Bummer Ted, I haven't, but I lost a 36" round down a hill, right into the driver's door of my Dad's Chevy 1/2 ton.
Ted, you can't give up yet, you have some massive ####-ups left to do, some of the same ones we have all done. Next on your list of ####-ups is to miss-guess lean, top weight and root strength, then undercut way too much and have the bastard uproot. Carefull where you park.

I have seen that last one done. The tree uprooted a smaller one which went in the opposite direction and it almost got my pickup, and the faller's boss's pickup. A two for one miss. One of those whew moments.

A faller came close to nailing their ride home last summer. His tree hit a snag which hit a snag, which barely missed their crummie.

You are not the first to nail a rig, and won't be the last.

Had a rain day yesterday. Tuesday was the first day I ran a saw for more than a few minutes in the last month. I was put on maintainance for the boss's rental properties. Finally got a break from hanging doors and windows.

So I got to fell some White Pine snags in the rain! I love the smell of wet pine! I don't get to cut softies often and wishin they were bar sized, but it was fun. A lot of them have been dying over the last few years. This one I put uphill because of a nearby atv path.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Heres another one I brought around the little guy that was twisted around the snag. I cut at least 50 of these yesterday in a 30 acre plot and there were others that didn't look so hot. The bottom pic shows what looks like a mold or a fungus to me. It seems that the trees are dying in groups. This plot was bunched logged about five years ago and the die off has been going on for two I would say. I was told these pines were planted over 30 years ago. I wish they grew here like they do in the PNW or the old growth we had around here 150 years ago. It was a fun day in the rain for me though!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Its too bad my phone/camera broke. I could post a pic of the renovation I did on the 2007 "work truck" as we easterners call them.

Wind took a poplar from me and the sob fell on the truck. I still cant believe it, i thought about selling the saw and getting out of timber falling all together.

Damn bro, that is rough. I'm really sorry to hear that. If your not fired, I would not even consider leaving. Stick with it and it will stick with you. A reminder I guess. Don't bag it. I'm off tomorrow, you should give me a shout some time if you want. I have yet to be notified if we drew our tags for the big buck unit. Soon though.

Damn bro, that is rough. I'm really sorry to hear that. If your not fired, I would not even consider leaving. Stick with it and it will stick with you. A reminder I guess. Don't bag it.

Good advice. And if you do get canned just take your experience on down the road with you. There are other jobs. And other days.

Hahaha. Hell, I'll own up to it. Didn't quite do 7 grand in dammage though.
That's how you learn, by screwing up. The only reason I'd advise you to hang it up is if you can't learn by your screw up's.

Mine was an 84 Toyota 4x4 pickup. I parked on the side of the road at the top of my strip. We weren't supposed to drop any trees that would go into the road until they got equipment over there. I knew I could keep this Doug Fir out of the road, but I mis-judged the height. The very tip top of the tree hit dead center of the front edge of the hood. Put a fist sized dent about an inch deep, never did fix it. It was a good reminder to not get over confident, and watch where I park. :cheers:

Andy

Ted my lad, looking back through your pictures, I see notable progress, you work at it and it shows. Trees will try to get you back, often enough, stuff happens. I have had my moments, backwards, sideways, early, late, generally noisy. It never fails, anytime you really screw up, the noise level goes way up. But what would working in the woods be without noisy events now and then.
One of these days, I will tell you why I hate powerlines.

Ted my lad, looking back through your pictures, I see notable progress, you work at it and it shows. Trees will try to get you back, often enough, stuff happens. I have had my moments, backwards, sideways, early, late, generally noisy. It never fails, anytime you really screw up, the noise level goes way up. But what would working in the woods be without noisy events now and then.
One of these days, I will tell you why I hate powerlines.
Ahh crap, Just about forgot it. I can tell a powerline story too.lol

Latest posts

Back