Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I never seen this thread, 1000 replys^^^ "favorite wedge" (part 2)
It's all been said before...orrrr has it?
When all else on hand fails
There may be the air crane flying a 'beer can'
Yeah that's my favorite.

Merry Christmas to you too, sir!

There is indeed something new about the narrowing subject of wedges. You see, the Chinese finally figured out their plastic issues - their wedges won't chip away as they used to. You can now buy yourself a pair of 8'' wedges for just five quids, not for a tenner a piece as before. That means granpa can keep his wooden leg all to himself this Christmas! Mibbe next year we can afford a drop of oil for the knee hinge. He's afraid of termites, though.

Joy.

Falling wedges??? I thought you guys were pros. ;)

Just read this YouTube comment:

"He did get the job done, but he used too much time and effort in doing so. It is not necessary to use wedges to make a tree fall. Let the saw do the work!. When using wedges it takes more time and energy by hammering them in. If the tree does not fall, it takes away access points for the saw to cut from." o_O

He is technically right of course, you don't need a wedge "to make a tree fall".

I would have thought the video may provoke some long bar discussion and a discussion of choice of wedges (one looks to be mushroomed), stacking and driving tool but not the above.

Ron

Falling wedges??? I thought you guys were pros. ;)

Just read this YouTube comment:

"He did get the job done, but he used too much time and effort in doing so. It is not necessary to use wedges to make a tree fall. Let the saw do the work!. When using wedges it takes more time and energy by hammering them in. If the tree does not fall, it takes away access points for the saw to cut from." o_O

He is technically right of course, you don't need a wedge "to make a tree fall".

I would have thought the video may provoke some long bar discussion and a discussion of choice of wedges (one looks to be mushroomed), stacking and driving tool but not the above.

Ron

The fellow must have a forest of trees that all lean the way they need to be felled or he falls them all over the place & half of them remain hung up.

I couldn't tell in the video, but leaving in an unitentional dutchman makes for difficult if not impossible wedging.
His last cut severed his dutchman, allowing the tree to fall.

The first 30 or so pages are a pretty good read...

I knew somebody had to be making wedges for STIHL, seems it was/is K&H (from the parting lines)?

From some of the recent prices of wedges looks like I'll be cutting backup wedges from limbs...

Back