Familiar Rant?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oologahan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just started collecting old Homelite saws about two months ago and in that time I have read many manuals and service bulletins while acquiring my 11 Homelite next week, all but 3 from eBay. The three I got from Craigslist, and Facebook Market Place were all pretty good deals. the late 60's blue Super XL Auto ran like a banshee and needed nothing for a 100 bill. The 1982 Super EZ Auto was in great shap, but no spark, a 45.00 coil solved the issue and the sale price of 25 bucks made it a very good deal as well. The last saw I got was from Facebook Market Place and it was in great shape, it was a blue mid 60's XL 901 and it runs with mix gas sprayed into it, but not without, so carb kit, lines, and filter should fix it. I paid a premium of 225 for that saw, but I'm happy to have it even with the work needed. The remaining 8 saws, 4 were parts saws that I bought on ebay as great running complete saws. The guide plate (s) were missing on two, two others had leaky cases, one welded, one glued, the XL903 (welded case) also had a late model 925 clutch cover that had another hole drilled to fit the chain studs (should have asked for pictures of that side), and the gas cap was off a weed eater. The 1965 XL Auto had the case glued (most of of it), but still leaked oil and a oil cap from a Briggs 5 horse lawn mower engine. I bought that one from a saw shop and the pictures were fuzzy, but it was advertised as "gone through and ready to work". When I did start it a handful of muffler crusties shot out of the muffler like it had been decades since it ran. The XL 850 cuts out and doesn't rev up very high, I'm hoping a carb kit will take care of it, it was also advertised as "ready to work, runs great" and for 175 dollars, I still think I can make it into a great saw by buying another nicer one for 125.00. My point is whether its saws, mowers, or collectibles of any kind the majority of these eBay "sellers" are pretty sorry human beings. I'll take my licks, fix my saws, buy more and probably get taken again, but like the 24 old garden tractors I have, I collect, I don't sell and I do it for a love of the machines, not to be greedy for a few bucks. After everything is said and done, I will learn alot from working on these saws and those that scammed me will have learned nothing and not benefited society in any way. I'm not going to fret over their lack of character or morals when I am enjoying collecting these great old saws.

I have had bad luck with ebay also on buying the old homelites. I am a fellow Homelite collector, you have a nice collection there. The super ez was my first saw as a young man and I have always had a soft spot for them. I have two super ez with the western package, Full wrap handle, a xl auto, regular super ez ,330, 360, xl-12, 240 and xl2 top handle.

I'm a real newbie to vintage saws, there are a total of 4 hardwood trees on the 600 acres surrounding my 20 acres. Wood is 45-50 a rick for oak. Last year it was only below 32 during the day on 4 occasions, so not a great demand, but I love the old Homelites. I have two more on the way and 26 more on my wish list. Two saws that were total dudes are being replaced with actual nice running saws from people that I have reached out to, so I have learned something and gotten some spare parts if I need them. I went through the same thing on garden tractors, but not quite as often because none of my purchases were on eBay

Latest posts

Back