Family Shade Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now you can fix the ground at the base.

BTW, I fixed your photo, Bill.

attachment.php

Complete

So this blew the ol' fish out of her bowl, "why do you have to dig holes in my front yard" so whatever, but it was planted too deep and I found 1 girdling root (caught it early) I did this whole thing with a god damn kitchen fork and surgeon gloves will someone give me a job yet?!

6.jpg

a-11.jpg

b-10.jpg
c-10.jpg

8.jpg

d-9.jpg

e-7.jpg

f-4.jpg

10.jpg

g-4.jpg

h-3.jpg

i-2.jpg

13.jpg

j-2.jpg

k-2.jpg

l-1.jpg

My dads the landscaper I'm a tree guy. He says from his perspective he would put more mulch in and that it will breath fine, what do you think?

Last edited:
Whew! That was buried. I'd extend the excavation out another foot anyway - at least even out the lip. Maybe wash it away with a hose?

Really? You mean like possibly grade the edges down to a bit more gradual "dip" around the base? Then I can just replant the grass where I graded down the surface (to remove the hard edge) Should I add more mulch though??

Added a little more mulch, around the edges mostly to make to a bowl shaped cavity it removes the hard edge look.
63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

The right looks a bit chopped off because (1) it leans in that direction and (2) there is less property to its right than its left (thinking future)

70.jpg

69.jpg

This was sometime in the 80's or 90s. As you see comparing to the fire hydrant this tree was extremely small you can see the very edge of it, and a very very large one to the right (you can see the trunk) used to provide massive shade, so hopefully someday it will replace the shade that tree used to provide.

1984Mustang.png

See what I mean it leans in one direction PS-the barrel in the lower right hand corner is covering the old trees stump:
40.jpg

Help

Remember when I helped this little guy out?
19.jpg

21.jpg

Well now it is seeping and staining the tree is this a concern? Looks like that little nitch on the bottom of the wound is now rotting or something. What is the tree doing I am very curious!

44.jpg

43.jpg

Update

This close cut that was questionable is starting to callus on one side:
41-1.jpg

77.jpg

77-Copy.jpg

A large limb that fell off of my huge red maple came of use I stripped the bark down with a flat headed shovel and fed it through a small chipper to make some natural as you can get bark mulch with no dyes. Plus its the bark of an old growth maple so I'm counting on the luck! You can see the tree above the jeep.

IMG_3977.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

81.jpg

****** town, they are replacing the sidewalks. I don't think this one small tap root will effect the health of the tree:

IMG_7406.jpg

IMG_7398.jpg

IMG_7396.jpg

Back