fan limit switch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Okay, i'm getting desperate here.. I have a stove from Outdoor Wood Heater Bradley Enterprises Homepage and love it.. But my snap disc fan limit switch has failed and simply tying the fan motor wires to run all the time is not a solution being it cools the stove down too much and the air coming into the house is cool instead of hot.. The fella does sell them and i've asked for one, but he did tell me that he is having a family crisis at the time with his mother being sick and wife as well ( they are in the hospital ). So, he has yet to be able to send me a new one and I understand his situation.. But i'm starting to get desperate being my house is currently at 58 degrees and we have a snow storm coming!!

Any ideas where I can find a sensor online? Or even any stores that I might have any luck at? Home depot,lowes. Tractor supply... I"m gonna have to call outta work today just to get this fixed because I don't want my two little girls and wife freezing to death while i'm risking getting snowed in!

Any suggestions guys? I"m thinking about overnighting one of these things if I can't find it locally

Post up a pic of what yours looks like and somone might be able to tell what kind and where to get one.

Gah. I'm gonna need a host for the image. The raw pic I took apparently is too large to add as attachment for this..

I'll go ahead and post all the numbers on the switch starting from top to bottom as they are line by line

T-O-D60T12
F120-10F

Here ya go, hopefully this works

Last edited:
you can get a cheap timer to cycle it every so often. Not sure if a limit switch is what you have there anyway. Is it a thermostatically controlled fan?

take the fan limit switch out, it will either be long or short shafted, go to local heating repair service, get new one and replace. They are nothing special, anyone that services heating systems should have them in stock. HD, Lowes, any good hardware store should have them. Just make sure you wire it back in the same as old, and DISCONNECT the power while working on it. (shut off or unplug or whatever)
On a side note, if yours is long and they only have a short, it WILL work to get you by.

How do you like the little heater over all? It doesn't seem to me that they have nearly enough insulation on them but I have never seen one up close.
good luck,
dave

Try Grainger or McMaster-Carr if you need a quick fix, they sell snap discs and various other temperature controlling devices.

Johnstone Supply carries Snap Disc thermal switches. I have purchased lots of them from various Johnstone locations. They have stores in most areas.

A word to the wise, they are a franchised wholesale-to-the-trade operation, but some locations will do cash business over the counter as long as you act like you know what you are doing. Some don't care who you are, but a few will spit in your face if you aren't an HVAC business and willing to open an account with them.

BTW, get a bunch of spares. My experience with Snap Disc products says you will need them. :(

got

A friend picked up two from the hvac store and both didn't work.. I put in the crappy old one and it turned right on ( for its odd duration of time)... So, i'm thinking these things are super cheaply made.. I saw a thermostat for attic fans that I might could tie into the system.. Think that will work? It has a setting for 120 degrees and usually they work until the temp falls below the set temp ( used them in the past for an actual attic fan...

A friend picked up two from the hvac store and both didn't work.. I put in the crappy old one and it turned right on ( for its odd duration of time)... So, i'm thinking these things are super cheaply made.. I saw a thermostat for attic fans that I might could tie into the system.. Think that will work? It has a setting for 120 degrees and usually they work until the temp falls below the set temp ( used them in the past for an actual attic fan...

If it is a safety limit switch, make sure you know exactly what you are doing. There are many different Snap Disc devices. Did your friend get the right one?

I have had them stick. Sometimes time or ambient temperature changes will unstick them, for awhile. Then they fail again, every time.

Yeah, they were what that shop were carrying.. They quit stocking the 120-10F due to lack of demand and need of storage space for more versatile items.. These things are flaky as all get out.. Just seems like someone would've made something better than this...

ww grainger has it in stock ... you can specify what kick in /kick out temps will be

ww grainger has it in stock ... you can specify what kick in /kick out temps will be

If you are talkiing to me, I would set it about 110 and 155 ish, I think there is a learning curve to get it to come on (not too soon or not too late) and kick off before it starts blowing cold air. I'm sure there are more qualified people on here that may give you a different perspective.
Lot's of information on the interweb, google "fan limit switch" I think there was one that will explain how to set it , but i still think it's a comfort thing to a point.
Good Luck!

Snap disc or Clix-on

As others have said , check w/ your local HVAC supply house. I havent found em at Lowes or HD. Internet is good too. Good luck on finding to keep the family warm!

Back