Farm Boss..Can it mill anything??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
banderso

banderso

ArboristSite Lurker
Can a Stihl Farm Boss mill at only 4HP???

I was also thinking of creating a prtable mill (similar to alaskin mill) with a Four stroke 5HP motor. Any body ever try this??? (much cheaper than a good power head)

zopi

ArboristSite Guru
That's what I'll be using for the moment..it will be slow though..you'll be wanting a bigger saw pretty quick..

Woodie

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
Check with a guy named lakeside53...he's a topnotch stihl tech. if I recall correctly (and there's a very good chance I don't!), he said the design of the saw did not lend itself to milling.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
If by Farm Boss you mean 029.. don't... unless it's realy small wood like 6-8 inch... and even then the saw isn't built to take the stress of milling (continous max HP). If you do, remember to detune it to about 75-80% of max HP...

If you're talking about and 041 Farm Boss, that's a different equation and will work well in a small wood mill.

Last edited:
stonykill

stonykill

ArboristSite Guru
it will if its an 029, but it will be REAL slow. The 029 is a 54 cc saw, and really doesn't have much torque, and thats what you want to mill. My 031 at 48 cc's will out mill an 029 all day long. For the record, I have milled with an 029, 16 inch yellow birch. It worked, is still alive, but I don't recommend it>>>>>>>>