Farm Boss's suck!I

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daryng

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm not trying to sound to critical, but why are they the number one selling saw of all time? Here's the story....

My employer recently moved from Missouri to Idaho. He invited me to come out to build him a greenhouse. We were waiting on materials today, so I decided to do a little tree trimming for him. He has a well taken care of 029. I went and got fresh 91 octane and some stihl ultra mix, filled it, started it up, and retuned it for the higher elevation. I had ran this saw before on brief occasions and never put much thought to it, but this turd is heavy. fully fueled with bar and chain it weighs nearly 19lbs. That is about on par with my 390xp with a 24. Granted, this 029 it is a one pull start, but it revs slow, it doesn't have an incredible amount of torque, its mostly plastic, and its fat and clunky.

I guess i'm spoiled by my pro saws, but can't seem to understand why someone would buy a new one with an 026 (ms260, 261, etc...) being just a few buck more.

I guess the 029 is a great saw, unless you didn't know any better. The whole "Farm Boss" campaign has really been cashed in by Stihl. Every weekend warrior with a few acres can feel like the "boss of their Farm"......

I think there needs to be a campaign started by well informed chainsaw users to put an end to this.... Used 029's on ebay will still bring $400, thats 346xp prices.

Kinda a dead horse, but why not.

They work. They cut stuff. They are relatively cheap. If you are patient enough, they will cut a lot of stuff, some of it pretty big. For most users, they don't need or want more than that. For the rest of us, we can buy something else.

End of story.

I had an 029 Super for 10+ yrs. and never a single problem. Maybe one of the easiest starting saws I've ever owned... I guess it was heavy, but I didn't know any better... cut a lot of wood with that old saw.
I do agree there. This saw is a very easy starting saw, and for my Boss's purposes it works, but it's too heavy for constant limbing, not enough grunt for heavy bucking or longer bars (in hard woods), and it's not the greatest on fuel.... Maybe porting could turn it into a different monster.

So go ahead and bash the 029.Get it out of your system. This particular saw has many ranchers farmers that swear buy it. This model was Stihl's best sellers.And I have ran one.It had a 20BC 325 and pulled the chain through hard dry mesquite without a whimper.It may be a tad heavy but you seem to be forgetting that this is not a professional saw.Take care, Ken

Heck, for most people weight and power matter little, given that their chain is dull as sin and their rakers are too high. What would they do with the extra power anyway, make more smoke and dust? Burn the paint off their bar faster? Catch the log on fire in the cut?
That is true, i forgot to mention that the chain on it looked like it had been filed by an epileptic with an angle grinder. I put a fresh loop of RSC on it before I cut...

~Stihl4Life~
I know its very "dead horse beaty"...... I had read the previous threads, but had never spent a day running one. I guess this is just my honest review..... But I understand why some people get upset by saw bashing. Everyone's baby is beautiful....

My Dad was given an 028 farmboss for his Birthday from my Grandpa when I was like six years old. My dad still runs that saw and it has never had more than an air filter and spark plug changed. May not be everyones favorite but there's a reason Stihl Is #1 in sales. Good reliable stuff.

My Dad was given an 028 farmboss for his Birthday from my Grandpa when I was like six years old. My dad still runs that saw and it has never had more than an air filter and spark plug changed. May not be everyones favorite but there's a reason Stihl Is #1 in sales. Good reliable stuff.
They are tough. This saw is probably 15 years old and mechanically is like new. it starts easier than most of my personal saws. Stihl has done well by sticking to making portable outdoor power equipment (not slapping their name on MTD lawnmowers).

I have about a dozen of the 1127 series in my shop right now. 7 are projects and 5 I have cut a lot of wood with. This series of saw is a lot better than some people think and not as good as others think. They are reliable, have parts readily available and will accomplish more than most people need. And there are tens of thousands of them being used daily by tree services. I work on more of this model than any other. Is it my favorite saw to cut with? No, not by a long shot. That would be one of my 026's. But saying how awful these are for the most part will fall on deaf ears. If someone has one and doesn't like it, put it for sale, the market demand for these saws is strong and they sell for well over half of their new price. And if you've never used one, you're not qualified to review them.

Nice thread, dude. I have at least a hundred saws in every color and size imaginable, including your beloved 390xp. One of my favorites is the 029 Super, of which I have several. Rarely will I go cutting without one. I'm glad you like the 390xp, it is a great saw. That being said, I'll be out cutting with my Super. The weight doesn't bother me. Must be the Wheaties.

Back