Farm Boss's suck!I

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only mods i do are muffler and/or limiter caps no need for fancy mods, and could care less to make one wiz faster.
if you need a ported saw to cut wood why not grab a bigger saw?

That's what I thought until I started running ported saws. When you're falling for 10-11 hours straight I'd much rather be lugging my ported 390XP around than my stock 3120, even though the 3120 is faster. Horses for courses though. It's not like you need a modified saw to cut down a tree :)

i can understand wanting a faster saw if you are felling 10-12 trees per day heck i only fell about 10 this year.
my little echo's and stihls are fast enough.
When I first bought a pro saw it was night and day difference for me from the crap I had been using. When I first ran a ported saw it was night and day as well. I like ported saws for the fact that in ideal sized wood (for that saw), the saw doesn't have to work as hard. When limbing a ported saw is so smooth and makes the job so much easier. You get the acceleration, rpms, and the torque to hold the rpms in the cut. Plus i'm a man and I must take sh*t apart and mess with it.... scratch, spit, fart...

These saws defiantly are not the fastest or strongest saws that stihl makes but the ms290 was my first saw and has cut countless cord of firewood for me year after year and aside from the occasional air filter and spark plug she has been relatively maintenence free and always starts when I need her. The MM does make a big difference in these saws thought as does the 7 pin sprocket, there is a reason they have earned a good reputation with people. I think most people either love them or hate them but you definitely got to run one to judge them.

...........i remember when the farm boss was a 038........they were pretty good saws and thats what i think of. i have never run a 028 and prolly never will......its small.

i can understand wanting a faster saw if you are felling 10-12 trees per day heck i only fell about 10 this year.
my little echo's and stihls are fast enough.

Felling 10 - 12 trees per day! What are you doing with the other 7.5 hours out of a 8 hr day?...:)

ported saws are just a fad MCW i guess im weird i would rather have torque than speed.

I can tell you've never ran a ported saw by that comment!
So don't knock it till you tried it!

Porting increases torque and speed if you've got the right recipe.

My ported 346 will steal lunch money from saws much bigger than itself.
And do it with A LOT less weight.

My first two saws were bought new by me, a McCulloch 3816, and a Poulan 2900 Farmhand. Not ideal, but fine for firewood cutting, and helping friends and family with downed trees. Then an older fella that drove tank trucks for us, and used to drive logging trucks (he was old enough that he had driven chain drive Mack's) asked me to go cut firewood with him. He saw my saws, and said we need to get you something better. That week we took a drive to the big Stihl dealer. He paid $480 for a New saw for me, an MS390, right at the 039 to 390 changeover so no decompression valve. I was thrilled. Fast forward 10 years, and I find AS, start buying other saws, read about what a POS my MS390 is, buy more saws, trade a few things with a guy from TN, read some more about my MS390 being horrible, and take the fella from TN up on his offer to port a saw for me.
I asked if he could port my MS390, and he said that even though it is a clamshell, he could get some good gains out of it.
He was right, it is much stronger, but what is the same is the fact that it is still incredibly reliable, and easy to start. My 15 year old son has decided to commandeer it whenever we go cutting, which speaks volumes for the the ease of handling, starting, and the way it cuts.
I've had that saw since 2001, and it's never had a sleepover in a repair shop. I don't know that I can say the same for most of my other saws.

Jonathan

How many times is the same garbage gonna be brought up on this site? Maybe Ill start a threat arguing about whose saw is 2 oz lighter and how much of a difference it makes. That would be totally original and helpful to people. Yes that series of Stihl saws is slow and heavy and all the cool kids hate them. Who cares? And guess what? They still cut wood. If you spend more money on a more expensive saw you get a better saw. Huh who would've thought. They are popular because of the price point, Stihls dealer network (for better or worse) and there are parts everywhere. I come to this forum to learn, get advice and hopefully give some myself. Pointless brand loyalty and bashing benefits no one.
Also, some of us aren't in a hurry. Me, I have all day.

I can tell you've never ran a ported saw by that comment!
So don't knock it till you tried it!

Porting increases torque and speed if you've got the right recipe.

My ported 346 will steal lunch money from saws much bigger than itself.
And do it with A LOT less weight.
Who ported it and what saws does it beat in what type of wood and diam? I have one here and may port it due to a bad lower back I could use a lighter saw.

I have the 390 with a muffler mod, carb adjust, 20" bar and an RS full chisel chain.

Keeps up with my buddy's 038 Magnum with little difficulty. Definitely not as strong, but not that noticable.

He paid around $1000 new. I paid $280. Clean piston and bore.

I have an 066 Mag for the big stuff.

Latest posts

Back