Farm Boss's suck!I

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been trying for months to snag an Echo 590. I missed the first group that sold on ebay for $299. They have been going up since then. After losing 14 consecutive 590's that went for over $400, I finally snagged one last week at $320 and free shipping. Open box,new saw but no manual or bottle of Echo oil. Had an opportunity to try it yesterday with several other firewood saws. The 590 coughed on the second pull and started on the 3rd. It outcut my 026 and 290 and hung with my 261 very close. I do not like the bar/chain on the 590 but the saw is well balanced and has a lot of torque. I believe it was money well spent and its a keeper for sure.
There was just one on Craigslist for $275 nib. I almost bought it. But like i said to much saw for me.

I have been trying for months to snag an Echo 590. I missed the first group that sold on ebay for $299. They have been going up since then. After losing 14 consecutive 590's that went for over $400, I finally snagged one last week at $320 and free shipping. Open box,new saw but no manual or bottle of Echo oil. Had an opportunity to try it yesterday with several other firewood saws. The 590 coughed on the second pull and started on the 3rd. It outcut my 026 and 290 and hung with my 261 very close. I do not like the bar/chain on the 590 but the saw is well balanced and has a lot of torque. I believe it was money well spent and its a keeper for sure.

Wait, the lowly MS261, 50.5cc, performed as good or better than a 59.8cc competitor's pro saw?

Somebody tell SawTroll, that can't be correckly

Wait, the lowly MS261, 50.5cc, performed as good or better than a 59.8cc competitor's pro saw?

Somebody tell SawTroll, that can't be correckly

No you understood Niko. It's all about the sideways balance :) I've owned a 261 and they have bulk torque but I wasn't a fan of the sluggish throttle response. Great filter though in the HD2 and the option for a dual set of spikes.
It does make me laugh though when a near 60cc Echo can't match a 50cc MS261. I've never had too many bad things to say about Echo but they are always underpowered for their capacity.

Stihl 290 is the best selling saw in the Stihl lineup. Just remember, *your* priorities and expectations are most often not your neighbor's priorities and expectations. A few months ago, a coworker of mine who was a non saw running man wanted to buy a saw for storm clean up. He had decided he wanted a $200 Husqvarna saw because someone had told him they had one and it would cut through a 6" log in 30 seconds. 30 seconds for a six inch log sounded impressive to him. I didn't tell him any differently, he bought the saw, did his cleanup, and is a happy owner.

You ask why anyone would buy a 290 when a 260 is only a few dollars more. I think a better question is why would someone who wants a tool for a limited task and has low expectations throw their money away for something they don't appreciate and won't realize the benefit?

Stihl 290 is the best selling saw in the Stihl lineup. Just remember, *your* priorities and expectations are most often not your neighbor's priorities and expectations. A few months ago, a coworker of mine who was a non saw running man wanted to buy a saw for storm clean up. He had decided he wanted a $200 Husqvarna saw because someone had told him they had one and it would cut through a 6" log in 30 seconds. 30 seconds for a six inch log sounded impressive to him. I didn't tell him any differently, he bought the saw, did his cleanup, and is a happy owner.

You ask why anyone would buy a 290 when a 260 is only a few dollars more. I think a better question is why would someone who wants a tool for a limited task and has low expectations throw their money away for something they don't appreciate and won't realize the benefit?

I heard you'd been kidnapped by aliens :) How they hanging?

I 100% agree too by the way.

Seems like I just saw a vid of a CS520 (50cc) running right with a 346xp (50cc) , both using the same chain and both muff modded
From the sound of it, all 3 brands have great 50cc offerings; pick your flavor, all are 3 are a great choice.

the bar is crap it needs a pro lite oregon bar or something better, echo must source there bars from silver streak.

the bar is crap it needs a pro lite oregon bar or something better, echo must source there bars from silver streak.
I'm rather unhappy with my Oregon D176 mount bars - one is a Power Match and the other a Pro Lite. They're fine for normal cross cuts but useless for noodling. The oil hole simply clogs right up on the two saws I have with that mount when using the Oregon bars - it's seems to be something about the shape of the lead in ramp to the bar groove. I have an old Mac bar that doesn't have this problem, nor does a D009 (I think) bar I use with a spacer.

I don't do a huge amount of noodling but it's still a PITA.

I'm rather unhappy with my Oregon D176 mount bars - one is a Power Match and the other a Pro Lite. They're fine for normal cross cuts but useless for noodling. The oil hole simply clogs right up on the two saws I have with that mount when using the Oregon bars - it's seems to be something about the shape of the lead in ramp to the bar groove. I have an old Mac bar that doesn't have this problem, nor does a D009 (I think) bar I use with a spacer.

I don't do a huge amount of noodling but it's still a PITA.
I had a Dolmar branded bar do the same thing on my 346

I had a Dolmar branded bar do the same thing on my 346
I spent some time looking at those bars to try to figure out what was going on, but I still don't understand it anyway. The two Oregon bars are not even the same in that area, but they both plug up quick if used for noodling. I wonder if it's something like the shape of the tail letting noodles get pulled in rather than the oil inlet shape?

No you understood Niko. It's all about the sideways balance :) I've owned a 261 and they have bulk torque but I wasn't a fan of the sluggish throttle response. Great filter though in the HD2 and the option for a dual set of spikes.
It does make me laugh though when a near 60cc Echo can't match a 50cc MS261. I've never had too many bad things to say about Echo but they are always underpowered for their capacity.
Matt, Matt, Matt, lol. You know you're going to make me do this:)

This is nothing more than a muffler mod and a proper tune. L needle tune is super critical on Stihl strato saws.

This one is NOT ported either. I tightened the squish and advanced the ignition. SUPER snappy throttle response.

Like I've told you before, you just haven't run the right 261 yet ;)

I spent some time looking at those bars to try to figure out what was going on, but I still don't understand it anyway. The two Oregon bars are not even the same in that area, but they both plug up quick if used for noodling. I wonder if it's something like the shape of the tail letting noodles get pulled in rather than the oil inlet shape?
I too think its bad tail design.
I did however replace the inner bar plate(which was a pain in the **** btw) and the issue became much less of an issue.
Outboard clutches are ghey

Matt, Matt, Matt, lol. You know you're going to make me do this:)

This is nothing more than a muffler mod and a proper tune. L needle tune is super critical on Stihl strato saws.

This one is NOT ported either. I tightened the squish and advanced the ignition. SUPER snappy throttle response.

Like I've told you before, you just haven't run the right 261 yet ;)

Brad Brad Brad :) Like I've said before too these saws should not need to be modded to perform like they need to. Huskys don't. I think the problem actually lies with the US EPA requirements because Australian delivered MS261's are delivered a lot richer and perform far better out the box. The factory limiters on the US 261's simply don't let you tune these things anywhere near where they need to be. Anyway I hate ported saws ;) If you know a decent saw builder please let me know :D
I'm certainly not having a cheap shot at the 261's but other stock 50cc saws I've owned and run have never been anywhere near as bad off idle. I've noted this with other Stihl strato saws too.

Brad Brad Brad :) Like I've said before too these saws should not need to be modded to perform like they need to. Huskys don't. I think the problem actually lies with the US EPA requirements because Australian delivered MS261's are delivered a lot richer and perform far better out the box. The factory limiters on the US 261's simply don't let you tune these things anywhere near where they need to be. Anyway I hate ported saws ;) If you know a decent saw builder please let me know :D
I'm certainly not having a cheap shot at the 261's but other stock 50cc saws I've owned and run have never been anywhere near as bad off idle. I've noted this with other Stihl strato saws too.
It's all good. I enjoy the friendly bantering :) I've probably said it before, but a lean L is key to good throttle response on Stihl strato saws.

ported saws are just a fad MCW i guess im weird i would rather have torque than speed.

the only mods i do are muffler and/or limiter caps no need for fancy mods, and could care less to make one wiz faster.
if you need a ported saw to cut wood why not grab a bigger saw?

Back