Fast growing trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csozio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to replace a tree in my front yard, and was looking for something fast growing.

I am in Southern New Jersey, between Philadelphia and Atlantic City, and have decent soil. Afternoon Sun, and the area is damp due to poor drainage.

I was thinking a weeping Willow, but worry about the roots destroying the water lines of my sprinkler system.

I did a few searches on this site but wasn't sure if the trees discussed were appropriate for my area?

(no pines, replacing a dead white pine, that I liked for the shade, but have never been a fan of pine trees)

How much of your lawn are you willing to give up for the tree?

How close to the site of the former pine are the sprinkler lines?

When were they installed?

Answer these three and I'll give you a list, with pics.

How big of a tree, and how long are you willing to wait for it to get to that size?
Here are a few possibilities.

Silver Maple (Acer saccharinum) grows fairly quickly get to ~60-70ft in all directions in about 30 years.

Hybrid populars (Populus X) grow to about 50-100 ft and live for a total of about 20-40 years.

Yellow Popular (Liriodendron tulipifera) can grow to 150+ft takes 50-100 years to get this size trees can live for 200+ years.

Sweet gum (Liquidambar styraciflua) can grow to 100 ft lives for 100+ years. I would recommend caution in picking cultivars of this species as the fruit can be a major nuisance.

How about willow oak? Grows up to 2ft a yr. Drought and flood tolerant. Can handle root compaction better than most. Is a sturdy tree that won't break apart onto a house. And I don't think the roots get in the pipes like the willow's do.

Some people say the leaves are too thin and small to rake up... I haven't had that problem. I suppose if you have a thick lawn, the leaves could get embeded and be a little tougher to rake. The leaves being small will, however, clog a gutter easier.

The downside is not as much shade as a larger leafed tree and the leaves are a plain brown/yellow color in fall. When its young, the leaves can be purple in the spring.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/quercus/phellos.htm

http://images.google.com/images?hl=...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

The Tulip Tree (also called Yellow Poplar, that I've read isn't really a poplar at all) is an amazing tree, but a very very large one! I love those leaves though... And the tree itself grows straight as an arrow. I think they used to call it canoe wood in the old days because its so straight and huge. Not sure I'd consider it a shade tree, but more of a WOW or OMG tree!

I don't care for the silver maple. It grows fast, but is weak wood and forms lots of weak joints. (Mine looks like a stalk of celery). It also has the annoying problem of roots coming above ground to be hit by the lawnmower.

FYI: what to think second about planting

I've been looking into replacing recently cut trees and would like fast growers. I've done so much searching online that I'm over-whelmed.
But a site I found beneficial of what NOT to plant is:

http://forestry.about.com/od/treeplanting/a/ten_bad_trees.htm

<<<Trees People Regret Planting

Here are ten trees that many homeowners have regretted planting. Think long and hard before planting these trees in your yard.

"Hackberry"
"Norway Maple"
"Silver Maple"
"Mimosa"
"Lombardy poplar"
"Leyland cypress"
"Pin Oak"
"Cottonwood"
"Willow"
"Black Locust"
>>>>>

I have a huge Cottonwood in the backyard and really wish the previous owner had not planted it!! It is so messy.

I planted four black walnuts at our last house. Just to have some quick shade, I put five black locust seedlings in the row with them.

The black locusts grew fast, and when they were about 15' tall, the walnuts had some size to them, so I cut the locusts down. The locust wood makes good firewood for these parts, and also makes great fenceposts.

how much space do you have and are there power lines or other immovable around?

I would say the front yard is 30' by 30'. No power lines in the area, but there are underground water and electric in the general area, but ar l4east 10' fropm where I would plant. I might have a pic I can post.

I've been looking into replacing recently cut trees and would like fast growers. I've done so much searching online that I'm over-whelmed.

Here are ten trees that many homeowners have regretted planting. Think long and hard before planting these trees in your yard.

"Hackberry"
"Norway Maple"
"Silver Maple"
"Mimosa"
"Lombardy poplar"
"Leyland cypress"
"Pin Oak"
"Cottonwood"
"Willow"
"Black Locust"
>>>>>

I have a huge Cottonwood in the backyard and really wish the previous owner had not planted it!! It is so messy.

I can see why some of these trees should not be planted but for a yard tree one hackberry and silver maple are not that bad. They offer fast growth and good shade. They do hollow out and shed some limbs but what tree doesn't after 40-50yrs.

Brian

"Hackberry"
"Norway Maple"
"Silver Maple"
"Mimosa"
"Lombardy poplar"
"Leyland cypress"
"Pin Oak"
"Cottonwood"
"Willow"
"Black Locust"
>>>>>

Pin oak is fine. Will outlive anyone.

For the size of your yard I`d try a paulownia. Mine just went through -10f without a hitch, the tree stays a reasonable height, and you get flowers in the spring. The leaves last well into the fall and it has an interesting shape when left to its own devices. Not the longest lived tree, but you can`t have everything. A real positive is it also should naturally start to branch out and spread at just the right height to put a table and chairs underneath.

Liriodendron (tulip) are nice. Leaf shape is interesting, very healthy tree etc.

I also like Katsura. Its a beautiful tree for most of the year with a really nice outline during winter. Leaf colour also varies markedly through the year. Kind of like having an extra large Japanese maple.

Bottom line is trees are like art. Measure your wall (yard), figure out how much space you have and what overall effect you want to achieve, and then work around that. I agree with all the posters who have said to avoid messy trees. They may look nice for a time, but if you are constantly raking cleaning up sap, or surrounded by aphids its just not worth it.

How much of your lawn are you willing to give up for the tree?

How close to the site of the former pine are the sprinkler lines?

When were they installed?

Answer these three and I'll give you a list, with pics.

Csozio, Coming from this Guy... it's worth persuing.

I would say the front yard is 30' by 30'. No power lines in the area, but there are underground water and electric in the general area, but ar l4east 10' fropm where I would plant. I might have a pic I can post.

:popcorn:

If it's damp soil you will do real good with a hybrid poplar. Keep the grass away from it for a few years and watch it grow almost daily. It needs sun and lots of water, sounds like you have it. In five years you will have a 25-30 foot high tree. If you know anyone with a hybrid poplar they might give you a twig or two. Just stick it in the ground ten inches the first of May and that's it. It really is that easy. I have planted many "cuttings" and almost all of them live if you keep the weeds and grass a few feet away from it.

Latest posts

Back