Fastest limbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawBrian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello.

What are a very good limbing saw for smaller stuff.
Have used both 339xp, 353, ms260, ms200 but I have not tried 346 and stilll searching for the perfect one. Believe 357 and 361 is going to be a bit too bulky, heavy and slow moving for this purpose.

So, are 346xp the perfect saw for limbing today?

The 346xp is Lite weight, Fast, and has a good touqre range
all and all it rocks :rock:
Alot of loggers carry it in their skidder.and use it all day limbing around here.

I own a 346 and its probably the best saw for limbing.She is lighter than 357,and she got a better throttle response than a 353 because she got closed tranfer ports instead of straight one on 353.The 353 got maybe a bit more more torque due to his cc advantage but the 346 rules for his response and higher rpm.

limbing saw #1 choice

Here is what I would pick;

#1-242xp, if you could find one
#2-5000 Redmax, just as fast as 242, but more power and heavier
#3-346, less speed and power than Redmax, but good saw

I haven't run newer saws,(346,260 or a 5100) but I love my husky 246, light, well balanced and good power. I run an 18" narrow kerf bar with a modded muffler. If for some terrible reason I would have to replace it, I'd take a good look at a dolmar 5100 as well as a 346.

My Dad runs a 346xp to cut all his firewood with. He likes it for its fast cutting and light weight in the woods. He says the bigger heavier saws bother his arms now a days. He doesnt cut very large diameter stuff in the woods just some smaller stuff to supplement the loads of logs he cuts to sell for firewood. I think he cut around 150 face cords last year.

The 246 was another great saw. I bought 2 after the 242 was discontinued. I still look for 242/246's but nobody around here will part with theirs.

Ha!! All I have to do is brandish my wicked fast ehp 346 at a tree and presto, its drops its limbs in fear.....

I have to vote for the 346xp also. I just got mine to replace an old 44. I run a 12" bar with .325 pitch chain. It screams, I just changed the sprocket to an 8 pin. I can't wait to see how it cuts now. I may order a walkerized muffler.

Jim

Nicholas, do you have any ehp saws? or just feel like bashing him? I have 5 and they are all stellar performers. Too bad Ken has retired.....I have a few Greffardized saws. Dennis got his port numbers and other tips all from Ken.

attachment.php

How does that Dolmar run with the tuned pipe!? I can't wait to get mine - seems like a wicked fast little saw!

Latest posts

Back